View Poll Results: Cheap and DIY or pony up for the Plug-n-Play?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Free and totally DIY, I can figure out anything!

5 18.52%
  • Cheap with some DIY, just like a TM should be!

9 33.33%
  • Wires, ooh. I don't wanna let the smoke out, make it Plug-n-Play!

13 48.15%

Thread: OK, flashable computers are just about done, what about interface cables?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

OK, flashable computers are just about done, what about interface cables?

I'm just about ready to start the group buy for the Flashable SMEC's and SBEC's. But, they won't do much good if you can't communicate with the ECU. So, I also plan to sell interface cables. The question of the day is, would you rather have a plug-n-play solution (for more $$) or a partial DIY solution (for less $$)?

Truth be told, all interface installations will be at least partial DIY as you'll have to find a spot for the boot switch and (for the SMEC's), you'll have to add a wire to the 60-way.

But, I'm considering have SCI connectors made so that the interface will at least be plug-n-play in the engine bay. One of the biggest problems is always getting the polarity right for the Rx and Tx wires. This would eliminate that issue. Of course, I could make instructions to make it clear the pink wire goes to X and the green wire goes to Y, etc.

The problem is, the available SCI connectors usually omit the 12V supply connection. Which will be needed for the RS232 interface (USB won't need it). So, I'd have to get some connectors made. I'm not sure the price is going to be attractive, though.

So, which do you prefer? Totally DIY using some instructions (definitely going to be some troubleshooting here); Cheap and DIY (but likely with some troubleshooting requried); or not so cheap and nearly Plug-n-Play?

I don't really have a good idea yet on the connector cost, but here's my guesses:

RS232 Interface only (all wiring is DIY with instructions) - $25
    RS232 Interface with wires basically all setup except for the switch and SCI connector - $35
    RS232 Interface PnP with SCI connector and boot switch - $50+
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: OK, flashable computers are just about done, what about interface cables?

your charging 10 bucks to wire stuff up?? is that what im reading here??? pretty sure people with no electrical sense or background would gladly pay this price.

did u still need more smecs?? i have a couple here left.

I will need some SMEC's once I get going on these.

The $10 (over the 'kit' price) would be to add the wires to the interface board so that all you have to do is hook them up to the correct wires on the SCI connector. In the 'kit', you get to supply the wires/switch/etc.

For $10, I don't come over and wire it into your car for you.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I can't do what you do, but I can read and follow directions. When I have the cash to put into my cars again, I will want a bag of parts and directions on how to build the stuff if at all possible.

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Knowing me it would be safer if you did come install it for $10 (me + soldering = disaster)... I'm going to have to say the $50 option so I can have a larger chance of it working for me.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Hybrid booster

$50 option will be worth it. Unless you for some reason happen to have all the wires and stuff laying around the time it takes for you to get them will negate the like $20-$30 saved...I would guess it will be much cleaner looking than DIY stuff anyway

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    For $10, I don't come over and wire it into your car for you.

lol you sure??? id meet u in detroit!!

u might want to charge them guys down south some gas $$ tho, 10 bucks isnt going to get you too far

boostaholic

So is it going to be $60 for the whole flashable setup? If so whats the difficulty soldering/wiring/making the cables?
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

Quote Originally Posted by jl93sundance View Post
    So is it going to be $60 for the whole flashable setup? If so whats the difficulty soldering/wiring/making the cables?
    Ha! Hardly. That would just be for the interface. The flashable SMEC/SBEC will be another $150-200. Still haven't determined the final pricing. it will really depend on how long it takes me to assemble them. I need to finish timing it out. But, I think i can sell them for less than $200.

I'm selling the cable/computer separately because there are uses for the interface cable other than flashing the computer. You could also use the cable for datalogging, for example.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Oh, and part of the kit for the SMEC's will be a single piece of ~8" of wire (in a random color) with a 60-way pin on it. These, of course, will be salvage parts. I've got well over 100 of these from the 3 60-way's I've disassembled. This will be for wiring in the bootstrap switch. That wire will have to get spliced into switched 12V to be able to flash the SMEC.

The SBEC's have the bootstrap line multiplexed with the Tx line. The interface will take care of that for you, so you'll just need to add a switch to 12V.
    Last edited by ShelGame; 05-13-2009 at 08:42 PM.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

I vote for wire it up myself since I've got my current one wired up so I can have my scanner and my interface setup plugged in at the same time.

boostaholic

Ha! Hardly. That would just be for the interface. The flashable SMEC/SBEC will be another $150-200. Still haven't determined the final pricing. it will really depend on how long it takes me to assemble them. I need to finish timing it out. But, I think i can sell them for less than $200.

I'm selling the cable/computer separately because there are uses for the interface cable other than flashing the computer. You could also use the cable for datalogging, for example.
    Ahh ok, that makes sense lol, I remembered in your other thread about the price and I was thinking that was really cheap

Edit: Post 666
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

turbo addict

Whatever it takes to get rid of my ostrich which pulls my battery down...so I have to unplug my SMEC from thee battery after driving. I vote the plug and play deal.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by badandy View Post
    Whatever it takes to get rid of my ostrich which pulls my battery down...so I have to unplug my SMEC from thee battery after driving. I vote the plug and play deal.
    Wanna sell the Ostrich when your done with it?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

*IF* I were to go to do this I'd go for the plu-n-play just for simplicity. Yeah, it costs more, but my time troubleshooting a stupid mistake is worth something....and it may jsut be the difference in it working or not.

PLUS, on your end there is less variables so helping people would be easier too.

BTW, I'd be interested in that Ostrich as well!

turbo addict

If Rob gets this flashable setup going for me to purchase than yes my Ostrich will be up for grabs.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by badandy View Post
    If Rob gets this flashable setup going for me to purchase than yes my Ostrich will be up for grabs.
    LMK, thanks.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

The SBEC's have the bootstrap line multiplexed with the Tx line. The interface will take care of that for you, so you'll just need to add a switch to 12V.
    and hence, D.I.Y. (RS232 interface only) vote for me.
    If ye love wealth better than Liberty, The tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from Us in peace, We ask not your counsel or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget you were Our countrymen. -Samuel Adams.

Forgot about this thread. The interface cables ar part of the flashable ECU group buy I started. If you only want an interface, just let me know...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Who would really be interested in a BlueTooth module that plugs into the SCI connector (to be used for wireless datalogging)? At nearly $100/ea? There are no cheap bluetooth chips out there at all...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki