Thread: TPS wiring for 89 Dodge Caravan Turbo I

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar

TPS wiring for 89 Dodge Caravan Turbo I

Hello all, I need the pin outs and wire colors for 1989 throttle position sensor for a turbo I in a Dodge Caravan. In other words, of pins A B C, which is signal, which is 5 VDC and which is ground and what are their colors?
    I looked at oldschoolhotrodder and their site is down for upgrades or something.
    Thanks, jeff1234
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: TPS wiring for 89 Dodge Caravan Turbo I

Not sure what A and C.

A/C=vio/white-5 volt ref voltage from computer
    B=orange/drk blue-signal return from TPS to computer-this is the voltage that changes based on throttle position
    A/C=blk/lt blue-sensor ground.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar

TVM, Thanks, I ought to be able to get there with that info. The colors match what I have on the bench. SAVED
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Not sure what A and C.

A/C=vio/white-5 volt ref voltage from computer
    B=orange/drk blue-signal return from TPS to computer-this is the voltage that changes based on throttle position
    A/C=blk/lt blue-sensor ground.
    Interesting. Why did they flip them? Did some cars have the TPS on the opposite side of the throttle body?

On my '89 4cyl turbo, I have A as BK/LB, B as VT/WT, and C as OR/DB, but on the wiring harness I grabbed from a V6 from the same year, A is OR/DB and C is BK/LB.

So if I want to measure the voltage, I would measure between OR/DB and VT/WT? If I measure between BK/LB and VT/WT, then the voltage is inverted from what it should be.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cout View Post
    Interesting. Why did they flip them? Did some cars have the TPS on the opposite side of the throttle body?

On my '89 4cyl turbo, I have A as BK/LB, B as VT/WT, and C as OR/DB, but on the wiring harness I grabbed from a V6 from the same year, A is OR/DB and C is BK/LB.

So if I want to measure the voltage, I would measure between OR/DB and VT/WT? If I measure between BK/LB and VT/WT, then the voltage is inverted from what it should be.
    Not sure what you mean about flipping the sensor, nearly all have the TPS wiring setup the same, well domestic cars anyhow. The middle is the signal, which is where you check the sensor for flucuating voltage, then the outers are the 5 volt ref voltage and ground, so you'd simply measure the outer ones to ground, note which one is power, then you can check the ground going from A-C, if A is ground, then A-B will give you the TPS output.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info