Thread: Cam question

Cam question

Ok I been thinking about this for a lil while and just got around to asking lol. Anyways My 87 Shelby Charger currently stock log setup has the FWDP Stage 1 cam in it( as per previous owner) he is sending me the paperwork and receipts for it this week. But my question is on an otherwise stock log motor what do you all think the cam is worth right now its only got chopped exhaust. so the stock T1 log is 146hp and 170tq, Im not thinking its worth like 30hp or nada lol, But I do think on a FI car its worth more than a 5-7 hp increase like an n/a car would be. But since I dont have a dyno I cant be sure..
    Also when I swap to the one piece intake T2 IC how much more will that bring?
    My logic is this, a stock T1 is 146HP and 170TQ and a stock T2 is 175hp and 200TQ, Now with the cam its logical that it would be significantly more but by how much from log to one piece? Being that the cam is the heart of an engine and can alter powerband by cam profile and such and the fact the one piece flows much better and more efficiently isnt it logical to assume a greater increase from the cam going to a one piece from a log and being more able to take full advantage of cams ability over a stocker with better breathing manifolds? and second part of question is what computer would work best with this cam the Mopar stage 2 which says bumps hp to 200hp and 230 TQ with no other mods and stock exhaust even or the super 60 (tho id have to swap to later harness) and what would be the gains and downsides with the cam with either computer? Im guessing with the mopar stage 2 LM and the cam and chopped exhaust and ported manifolds would be about 240 WHP ya kinda high but my GLHS with same exact setup non cb 2.2 tired motor but 3 inch mandrel bend ss exhaust walker ultraflow and stock cam put 239whp so??

Thanx in advance and any suggestions on which comp to use and or supporting mods are also appreciated.

Btw I do have some flow bench tested 804's and an AFPR as well so I got that covered.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Cam question

For stock type engine, stay with the turbo roller or tbi cams as the head just can't use the flow. If you have a nice ported setup, then the S60, S2/S3 or FWD new cams will fit the bill.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Thx simon, But the cam was in the car when I got it, And yes the car will have ported manifolds on it as well as the 804's an afpr, and walboro 255. I was always told that under 18-20 lbs that a stage1/2/3 cam does help but over that and the stock cams are better.. And I looked around to see who else agreed and Gary D's site said same thing?
    I guess my question would be better phrased as asking what would the power be at with a stock t2 setup with ported mani's open exhaust, stage 2 comp and 52mm tb with the stage 1 cam
    Being that the way you phrased it im assuming that with stock log and the came im only getting about half the cams potential so maybe around 10hp currently? But possibly double that with rest of upgrades? I mean the glhs was stock other than the mopar stage 2, ported mani's 52mm tb, and 3 inch exhaust with walboro and plus 20's laid out 239 whp so isnt it safe to say a stage 1 from cindy would do better?

And its a FwdP Stage 1 cam FTR.

Your running a one piece right? if not, not much will help if running a log manifold.

As for porting the manifolds, thats great but the cork is the head. I've run the old S1 and S2 cams on my old 2.5 with a mild ported head and header. The S1 made it zippier around town but up top and more boost, dead. The S2 shifted the power band up and it hit harder, I think I dropped 1 sec from the 1/4 with no tuning.

For under 20 psi, either stick with a stocker, or I guess you already have it, a stage 1 cam
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Ya its a ported one piece and ported exhaust manifolds. Does the cams make a bigger diff on a 2.5 or a 2.2 or does the 2.5 gain more from the s1 and the 2.2 gain more from s2 from having the better powerband?
    Im just trying to determine if this will make close or similiar to what my glhs laid down on a tired motor with worn rings with stock cam. So with what the car sits with now log dead stock minus cam and injectors and open exhaust you say about a 10 hp 10 tq gain
    And when I throw the ported manifolds on with the Intercooler and the Mopar stage 2 will the cam make any difference with the Mopar stage 2 cal?
    Im just debating on if I keep the Mopar stage 2 cal since I know that boosts output quite abit by itself, Or since its an aftermarket cam go with a cal from fwdp since they can better match the cal with the cam profile?
    I just know that the GLHS shot up by a good 30hp with just the cal so im curious on how much the s1 cam will change/affect power/torque/powerband etc..

Ya its a ported one piece and ported exhaust manifolds. Does the cams make a bigger diff on a 2.5 or a 2.2 or does the 2.5 gain more from the s1 and the 2.2 gain more from s2 from having the better powerband?
    Im just trying to determine if this will make close or similiar to what my glhs laid down on a tired motor with worn rings with stock cam. So with what the car sits with now log dead stock minus cam and injectors and open exhaust you say about a 10 hp 10 tq gain
    And when I throw the ported manifolds on with the Intercooler and the Mopar stage 2 will the cam make any difference with the Mopar stage 2 cal?
    Im just debating on if I keep the Mopar stage 2 cal since I know that boosts output quite abit by itself, Or since its an aftermarket cam go with a cal from fwdp since they can better match the cal with the cam profile?
    I just know that the GLHS shot up by a good 30hp with just the cal so im curious on how much the s1 cam will change/affect power/torque/powerband etc..

A 2.5 tames the cam a bit due to its displacement. We can make 250 whp on a basically stock TII with 20+ psi, good IC, stage II cal and exhaust.

Honestly, until you touch your head, either put a stock turbo roller in or stick with your stage 1 that you have.

turbo addict

I had Cindy's new F2 cam in the wagon nd anyone that rode in it will tell you the midrange and top end was phenomonal with no loss on bottom end. I will definately use that cam again. That is the on in between the old S1 & S2. The wagon ran 14.20's @94 on only 14psi boost too.
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

Thats what I figured so my math isnt off but the biggest diff comes with the mopar cal, Next question would the mopar stage 2 cal be better or would having cindy send a cal be better since she knows their cams and a mopar unit is an off the shelf piece more or less?

The stage II is a wicked cal, if you need only 2 bar, then keep it, if you need 3 bar, then you'll need a FWD cal.

Im thinking Ill stick with just 18psi limit on T1 Bottom end. I was just curious with the s1 Cam if a FWDp cal would work better with cam or The Mopar Stage 2 is the best period. Im thinking of running a fuel upgrade in a few weeks when finances allow. And every car I have had the Mopar stage 2 cal like the 87 S.L., 87 GLHS, 87, DS-Z the difference was night and day the SL pulled away from A MS3 from 40Mph with ease with the Stage 2 LM and Ran away(more like brutally raped) from a Gutted riced B18 hatch IIRC...and a few other so called faster 14 second cars that had timeslips verifying their times.. So I know its an awesome cal.. Just curious how the cam would work the Mopar cal.