Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2.6 mitsubishi

2.6 mitsubishi

Is the 2.6 mitsubishi an interference engine?
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

turbo addict

Re: 2.6 mitsubishi

yes it is a valve bender if the chain goes .

*Shrugs* I've heard otherwise... but usually if the chain goes out it's because the small silent shaft chain went first... which means it was running with no oil pressure...

turbo addict

...time for a 2.2 turbo swap

I was thinking 2.5 turbo swap. I spoke with the guy on the phone last night and told him I would take it. Now I just need to get down to SF to pick it up.

turbo addict

SWEET, well give me a ring when your in town, and if you need any help thats cool

boostaholic

No no no.... 2.4L and stoke it out to a 2.6L!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by SebringLX View Post
    No no no.... 2.4L and stoke it out to a 2.6L!
    even better

turbo addict

Whats wrong with the 2.6 as it sits? I mean this one in particular. Is already broken? You can get a balance shaft eliminator kit. Also there are numerous ways to build them up. There is also the 2.6 wideblock that will accept a head from the 4G64(not sure if I got that right), but basically same as eclipse head. Whats this going in?
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WickedShelby88 View Post
    Whats wrong with the 2.6 as it sits?
    Probably too many things to list... for starters, I'm guessing the head is already warped?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

lol, yeah. One of those deals you might as well ditch it for a 2.5. That is usually more common than not.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

I'm not sure whats wrong with it for sure since I don't have the car home yet, but the previous owner stated that it doesn't run and he thinks the timing chain went out. Strange since it looks to be a low mileage well taken care of 85 NewYorker.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

New Yorker... easy turbo swap

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

The 2.6's in the front wheel drive variety seemed to have more problems then their rwd siblings. +1 easy turbo swap!

turbo addict

Go with the 3.0l 3spd swap and drop a Holset turbo on it then hold on!

Well, I got the car home last night. The Lebaron tows pretty well for a chick car. It was a terrible trip though since there was a rollover on the interstate. We sat for an hour before they finally cleared the road and let traffic through. Keep in mind this was at 1:00AM, so we didn't get home until 2:00AM, needless to say mom and baby were not happy. Oh well, I got a clean california car with 50K miles for $450, not a bad deal IMO.

turbo addict

That is a sweet deal! Sounds like one of the cleanest yorkers in the community right off the bat.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Hey, that car looks familiar!

But since its an 85 it has those different taillights so its technically more like my other one...

I have opinions on several facets of this issue...

1. I would not keep the car a 2.6. Tepid performance.
    2. The swap that was mentioned involves using a 4g64 2.4L bottom end which should bolt up identically at the tranny and front mount. The motor comes with a sohc head, but you can swap a 4g63 dohc head on top of it. So basically a 2.4L DOHC mitsu swap. If you leave the stock pistons and run it n/a, it even has high compression because of the differences in chamber volume. I WOULD consider doing this, but you would need a standalone like megasquirt to run it, most likely.
    3. I would also consider 2.5 turbo swapping it if i just wanted it to run. Im taking this route with my 84 executive sedan which came with 2.6.

However, im not giving up on the 2.6 entirely... I have an 80 plymouth pickup with the 2.0 and the 2.6 out of the limo.. Im thinking i will try and combine them into a running rwd 2.6 and possibly using starion turbo stuff on it. I did have grand ambitions for the 4g64 hybrid swap but now i figure i should just try and get the most out of what i have, since it wont take much power to make the thing fast. It weighs a lot less than my new yorkers

Easy: 2.5 turbo
    Interesting: Turbo dohc mitsu swap

I think I will end up going the 2.5L turbo swap route. If the turbo minivan I had spotted is still for sale that is. If not, it's hard to say what will end up happening to it. One thing is for sure, I don't like the looks of the mess of vacuum lines under the hood on this 2.6.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I would recommend using wiring out of an 87 turbo k-car such as a new yorker, caravelle, lebaron, 600, etc as they're generally pretty easy to find and would be pretty much a complete drop in. I bought an 87 harness for my 85 several years ago from someone on the forums.

Let us know how it all comes together! I havent even started on the executive sedan swap, except that i throw the swap parts into the trunk as i come across them in my piles of parts. hehe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast