Thread: Need help with SBEC calibrations

Need help with SBEC calibrations

Hi, I have the adapter board from Quantum and a socketed '90 van computer and I'm having trouble getting it going. This is for my friend Pauly_no_van.

I'm using the original ostrich, and have been trying the D-Cal "90MP_ATX_SwBst_CE" binary. In doing SMECs in the past all I've done is load the binary onto the ostrich (using Emutility), plug it in, and go from there, burning a chip when it was all said and done. This time around it is not even giving a CEL when the key is on.

This was previously a running ECU before the socketing. Paul did the socket, and he has put a socket in every car I own (more than 5) so we don't think it's the hardware that is the problem. The ostrich was running in my talon yesterday, and I've been using it forever so we don't think that's the problem.

I've been wondering if I have to offset the bin, but that's about all I can think of if the D-Cal bin is OK to use.

If someone could give a step by step about how they set things up, that would be great to help diagnose this stuff. Thanks!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Need help with SBEC calibrations

What chips are you using? I believe the SBEC is still a 32K cal, so you will have to determine the offset based on the size of your chip. IIRC Moates.net had a little chart for it. If you're using a 27sf512 I believe the offset is 8000.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

First, I'd put a regular chip in it (87C257 with a SBEC cal on it) WITHOUT the adapter and see if it works. If it doesn't, then the socket job is bad.

If it works, make sure the adapter is plugged in the right way. Then, you should be able to put a 'regular' 27C256 into the adapter with a SBEC cal on it and it should work. If it does, the ostrich should be no problem.

You won't need an offset with a 32K binary and chip. But, if you're using a 27SF512, then you need to offset the cal by 0x8000.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Don't have any 87c257's. We're using the ostrich, which always worked in place of the 27c256 for me. We'll have to track those down. That cal from the D-cal group is good though?

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly27 View Post
    Don't have any 87c257's. We're using the ostrich, which always worked in place of the 27c256 for me. We'll have to track those down. That cal from the D-cal group is good though?
    There is more current stuff on here, but that should work well too.

It's fine, I'm not looking to make a tune just yet, just make it run on a chipped ECU.

Ok, so if I follow the instructions here
    http://www.omniglht.com/sbec.html
    using the same settings I do for burning and reading 27c256 chips with the bin previously mentioned in D-cal, it's about as basic as I can go?

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly27 View Post
    It's fine, I'm not looking to make a tune just yet, just make it run on a chipped ECU.

Ok, so if I follow the instructions here
    http://www.omniglht.com/sbec.html
    using the same settings I do for burning and reading 27c256 chips with the bin previously mentioned in D-cal, it's about as basic as I can go?
    If you are using the stock chips for the SBEC then you would be able to follow those exact directions. I don't have any experience with the converter deal, but I would assume you should be able to just burn the chip you are using at the proper offset and it should work.

Hybrid booster

Does anybody have the stock chips available at a reasonable price and sooner than 2 months?
    The reason I bought this adapter was to avoid exactly this situation...

paul

Quote Originally Posted by pauly_no_van View Post
    Does anybody have the stock chips available at a reasonable price and sooner than 2 months?
    The reason I bought this adapter was to avoid exactly this situation...

paul
    Are they on back order at Mouser?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Are they on back order at Mouser?
    yeah mouser says 0 stock and 8 week lead, which means they are either not made, or are going to be second hand or something... Quality would be a concern

Quote Originally Posted by pauly_no_van View Post
    yeah mouser says 0 stock and 8 week lead, which means they are either not made, or are going to be second hand or something... Quality would be a concern
    I think Frank started a thread the other day regarding a group buy if you haven't seen it.