Thread: useless facts (and now a question) about mitsu turbos.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

useless facts (and now a question) about mitsu turbos.

i got a stainless braided line kit for a garrett to work on a mitsu. i had to adapt the upper line into the turbo to 1/4 npt and use a combination of fittings from two stainless line kits (had two kits from the motors that i acquired) for that upper line to go OVER the wastegate arm rather than under and i had to use another one of those fittings that go into the back of the block for the other turbo coolant port. stole that from the other kit.

im going to use a mitsu while i rebuild my T2 garrett or i may steal the one from my k car but ill use the mitsu for now.

other useless fact is that the T2 wastegate can will work on the mitsu. the flange needs the hole closer to the head redrilled and the rod bent a little towards the head and shortened and it fits on there beautifully. the T2 can has more throw so it might open the wastegate enough that it wont creep so bad. we'll see.

just thought id throw that out there

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Hybrid booster

Re: useless facts about mitsu turbos.

I helped a guy last year out a mitsu on his daytona when his garrett went out. I found some 1/4 to 3/8 npt adapters at auto stoned that worked perfect. We ran the ss lines in the stock locations with no problems. Now I will admit it took us 3 days to figure this out! At first I had an adapter from lowes that was too tall and it kept hitting the starter. Once I found the short adapter it was all good! IIRC the oil line was the same between the two.

Re: useless facts about mitsu turbos.

yup

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Re: useless facts (and now a useless question) about mitsu turbos.

has anyone had to reclock the compressor housing on a mitsu? i see the snap ring but is there a gasket or anything in there like a garrett??

i was fitting the dust shield for the trans and the corner of it up by the starter area was hitting the turbo outlet. as far as i know, this was a stock turbo, bolted to a stock head (g-head) bolted to a stock manifold.

thanks

Brian

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

There's an o-ring on each side to seal it (hmm, maybe not on the turbine side, I forget now). And, there's a 1mm roll pin to set the position. The roll pin is easy enough to remove - they'll often remove themselves when you take it apart, never to be seen again.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

i realized i had a junk one laying around after i posted so i tore it apart. i saw the oring on the compressor side and ive had the exhaust side apart before so i know that is pinned and whatnot.

thing is that i made sure that i pinned the exhaust side in the same location as stock so it should be fine. ill double check that.

i may just grind a little off the trans and dust shield cause i worked for a long time getting that garrett T2 wastegate can to work and to get all those stainless lines to clear that i dont want to deal with that again.

this mitsu turbo may stay on there for a while cause it took enough effort to get it to work in the first place. watch, it will blow up instantly now lol.

thanks

Brian