Thread: 1993 jeep wrangler turbo! Need suggestions

turbo addict

1993 jeep wrangler turbo! Need suggestions

Me and a friend are gonna turbocharge his 1993 jeep wrangler... Its got the 2.5L 4 cylindar engine... Were thinking of a reliable low boost system to add a little more pep to the car, but we need some suggestions on how to do this!

I know most of the basics but any suggestions would be great!

Thanks

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: 1993 jeep wrangler turbo! Need suggestions

someone came through here a while back with a basic turbo 2.5 wrangler and ran 14.9 with it.. thats a lot of pep for a 4 cylinder wrangler..

his username was turbojeep or trrbojeep or something along those lines.. try the search function and see if something comes up.

turbo addict

how similar is that 2.5 to the one in a 90?
    my friend has a 2.5 jeep too and we hate how slow that thing is

turbo addict

It should be the same engine. I believe they were all the same even into the new body style for the most part with only minor changes.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

turbo addict

yeah i was looking at it
    it all seems the same
    if it was mine i would do an easy T1 swap

turbo addict

Plenty of options. Not hard to push 250hp and actually increase your fuel mileage!
    If it was me I would swap in a 4BT cummins turbo diesel!!!! Then run it off of veggie oil. Nothing like extremely cheap fuel and a ballsy Jeep to make things better.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

turbo addict

haah that would be sweet but i know nothing about diesel that would be the biggest mess and the longest project if i did that

turbo addict

That is the best part. The 4BT is practically stand alone as is. For 2500 usually it better be

turbo addict

The cummins 4BT would be awesome but were a couple of mechanically inclined high school kids... The jeep with 33" tires is just slow as hell and it needs a major power boost!

We were thinking of fabbing a crossover pipe off of the end of the header to bring the turbo back to the right side of the engine bay then running the exhaust through the fender (LOUD AS HELL!) and then plumbing in a decent intercooler!

For fuel we were thinking of getting a slightly larger injector and lowering the fuel pressure and then using a rising rate regulator to increase the pressure as boost increases providing enough fuel... We might throw in some meth/water injection for added safety...

Im pretty sure 10PSI would be doable with 93 octane and some meth injection...

Thoughts?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

are you sure its not port injection? i didnt think tbi went as far as 93 on that motor.

The piping setup sounds exactly like what everyone else does on 2.5/4.0 so you're on the right track. Exhaust out the fender wont leave room for a muffler and will probably get old fast. Leave yourself some options before you decide to cut it up....

turbo addict

Yea its multi port injection, I checked it out tonight!

boostaholic

what tranny? Might not want to add too much hp.
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

turbo addict

For the amount of power I am predicting on this one trans should be fine as long as it hasn't been beat on and has had a few fluid changes in its life. Sounds like a really cool idea on the turbo setup. Wish I could picture a Jeep engine bay. Its been a while.

turbo addict

Bumpity

turbo addict

Find a 91-95 Xj with a 4.0l auto and swap the drive-train and harness in
    I have done this swap 4 times now the owners never regretted it
    once you have 4.0l in and running then turbo it !!