Thread: Throwing rocker arms after valve job, help?

Unhappy Throwing rocker arms after valve job, help?

Hey everyone, i just got my ported head back from the machine shop. the head was already ported before i took it to the machine shop and it was on a car before but i wanted to get it checked out before i threw it on my car. this is a 782 swirl head with 1mm oversized valves, heavy duty springs, high rpm lifters, and a stock cam. the machine shop disassembled it and told me it needed new seals, guides, and four of the valves were bad. they could not source the valves because they were oversized so i said no problem i will order some and have them sent to you. so i ordered some 1mm oversized valves for a swirl head from turbos unleashed. i just got the head back and got it on the car and started it up and it ran great after a few minutes i reved it about three times to about 4 grand and the last time it threw a rocker arm off cylinder ones intake valve. so i pulled the valve cover off and looked at it and didn't see any real problems. so i put another rocker and lifter on it thinking that would solve it and i started it back up and it immediately threw the rocker back off. so at this point im getting pretty annoyed. so i pull the cam up a bit so i dont have to re-time the engine and the stem sticking out of the valve looks shorter on number 1 and number 2 intake than number 3. and these are the two new valves from TU and the only thing i can think of is these are bathtub valves not swirl head valves because it looks like about 2mm's of difference. but on TU's website they only list swirl head valves and i ordered them for a swirl head. i think the other rockers would of been thrown off too if i had it running longer. do you guys think im on the right track? any ideas?

Thanks
    KJ

turbo addict

Re: Throwing rocker arms after valve job, help?

You're going to have to check the installed height of the valves in question or pull the head. Assuming that the lifters are good? Machinist should of done this.
    Last edited by puppet; 05-03-2009 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    You're going to have to check the installed height of the valves in question or pull the head. Assuming that the lifters are good? Machinist should of done this.
    Yeah, the machine shop should of done this, believe me i am not to happy with them at the moment. The lifters are good less than 3k on them and i even tried installing another set. same result threw number 1's intake rocker.

EDIT: also the machine shop said they polished the cam because it had some scoring on it, i wouldn't think that they could take off that much material polishing it?

Thanks
    KJ

turbo addict

It amazes me how some shops have little to no knowledge of the heads/parts on these engines. I've run across three different occasions where a shop put the wrong valves in our heads.
    See some shops grind tips to match heights ... talk about a hack job there. Valve tips get sharp like a razor pretty fast.
    Anything is possible.

Did you put a new timing belt on?

My shadow kept throwing the same rocker arm. At first I thought the problem was not enough shimming for my PT crusier lifters.

Turns out my timing belt was the problem. I put a new belt on when I had the head off last fall. I haven't thrown a rocker since. And I've tried.

later
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Well guys i figured it out today. i pulled the head and pulled the valves out. when i went to pull the intake valve on number 2 it wouldn't come out. i had to beat it out with a hammer. the valve doesn't fit the guide, its too thick. i got the stock valve to go in relatively smoothly but the guide is damaged now. this is a new valve from TU. the retard assembler at the machine shop must of just beat it in and let it ride. so what happened was the valve opened and was getting stuck and not returning fast enough and caused it to throw a rocker. anybody else had a problem with aftermarket 1mm over sized valves stems being too thick? because i know its not the guide because the stock valve slides right in until it hits the burrs left from the new valve damaging it.

Thanks
    KJ

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OneFastBaron View Post
    Well guys i figured it out today. i pulled the head and pulled the valves out. when i went to pull the intake valve on number 2 it wouldn't come out. i had to beat it out with a hammer. the valve doesn't fit the guide, its too thick. i got the stock valve to go in relatively smoothly but the guide is damaged now. this is a new valve from TU. the retard assembler at the machine shop must of just beat it in and let it ride. so what happened was the valve opened and was getting stuck and not returning fast enough and caused it to throw a rocker. anybody else had a problem with aftermarket 1mm over sized valves stems being too thick? because i know its not the guide because the stock valve slides right in until it hits the burrs left from the new valve damaging it.

Thanks
    KJ

The machine shop should have reamed out the guides to match, morons,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    The machine shop should have reamed out the guides to match, morons,
    so the general consensus seems to be that the machine shop should of caught this. i think they should have.

i am going there tomorrow with the cylinder head dissembled and have them take a look at what they caused. and see if they are willing to make this right. either fix it, and pay for damages to the valve, headgasket, valve cover, my time, and frustration.. or just refund my money. what sucks for them is that the mechanic shop i use to work at recommended this place and have been using them for years even when i was working there. they are like family to me, and you better believe i am going to tell them my experience and advise them to find a new machine shop for there business.

Thanks
    KJ