Thread: Chrysler 300M Issue

Mitsu booster

Chrysler 300M Issue

My dad has a 2002 Chrysler 300M that has a light on in the dashboard that is shaped like an engine. It's not the 'check engine' light, but another light near the lower right hand side of the instrument panel display. The owner's manual says it's on because of a low grade gas or something like that. There are no codes, and the local scan guy says it can't be cleared because it's on because of a sensor, not the ECM. Any ideas on why it's on and how to clear it off?

turbo addict

Re: Chrysler 300M Issue

Read the owners manual to match up the light to the name in the manual. It should be listed under the instrument panel or labels and warnings. Go from there.

if your 300M has the Hemi engine, that lite is used sort of as an inital notice that some minor problem has occured, as you say such as poor fuel, or a loose gas cap, or other potential temporary yet minor glitches..........the Hemi manual advises to keep an eye on the lite and if it does not go off after several start-stop cycles take it to the dealer (my experience is it takes about 5-10 start stops)........if the lite begins to flash, then you got a bigger problem.

Bad Mother Flecker Turbo Mopar Staff fleckster's Avatar

300Ms never had Hemis. They are LH cars not LX (300C). They had the 3.5L but probably had the same service engine light. I'll see if I can find it tonight as my parents are coming up to fly out to California to visit my brother and leaving their 2000 300M with me.

John M. Fleck

'83 Dodge Rampage 2.2 w/ 2.5L Turbo 14.79@94
    '87 Shelby Lancer #213 14.99@94
    '89 Chrysler LeBaron GT Turbo 'vert 15.88@92
    '92 Dodge Spirit R/T 13.50@104 ; 13.34@102 on slicks
    '98 Dodge Neon R/T 15.66@89
    '03 Dodge SRT-4 13.91@98

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Its possible that it could be just a maintenance reminder that needs to be reset. I cant remember having seen it, personally.

Mitsu booster

The owners manual says it's because of potentially bad fuel, but through several tanks of gas, the light hasn't gone off. The guy at Advance Auto says it is probably hooked to a sensor and the scan tool can't reset it. I thought it was a gas cap issue, but after taking the battery cable off, it went out, but came back on after the next start up. Bad gas cap maybe???

Bad Mother Flecker Turbo Mopar Staff fleckster's Avatar

Did that year 300M have the oil change light that has to be reset using the key on and gas pedal like some of the newer cars? I'm not sure when they started that.

John M. Fleck

'83 Dodge Rampage 2.2 w/ 2.5L Turbo 14.79@94
    '87 Shelby Lancer #213 14.99@94
    '89 Chrysler LeBaron GT Turbo 'vert 15.88@92
    '92 Dodge Spirit R/T 13.50@104 ; 13.34@102 on slicks
    '98 Dodge Neon R/T 15.66@89
    '03 Dodge SRT-4 13.91@98

Mitsu booster

Don't believe so. They just got done doing a 2K road trip and it came on about 600 miles into the trip. He's been running regular in it for a while now. The light did go out when he pulled the battery cable, but it came back on after the next start. I thought it might be the gas cap, as I guess the evap system on the 300M is a bit different in the later model years. He's never had this problem before, and is very particular with it. Any further thoughts?

turbo addict

If it is in fact the service engine soon, or check engine light, or whatever you want to call it, there will be a stored code. If Advance Auto can't read the code, go to the dealership, because they can.

...if you know what I mean... Turbo Mopar Contributor csxtra's Avatar

I know you said that it isn't resettable on the ECM, but were there any codes?

You can do the "key dance" on the later LH cars just like our cars and get the codes displayed in the odometer window. (I just verified it works on an 02 300m, but it didn't work on a 99 Intrepid).

Have you run this question by the folks on the 300m Club forum (www.300mclub.org) or LH forums (www.lhforums.net)? Maybe someone there has seen this issue and can provide some help.
    Warren Hall
    "My Name is Warren and my car is an alcoholic..."
    OVC - SDAC "Our Sh*t Rolls!"
    Cincinnati, OH
    87 CSX # 741
    317WHP - 380 WFt-Lbs (STD-5)
    12.460 @ 113.2 - Race Gas + Methanol Injection
    12.749 @ 109.84 - 91 octane + Methanol Injection (Still tuning...)
    "Illegitimi non carborundum."
    -General Joseph Stillwell
    TD Runlogger Page Has Moved...

Hybrid booster

lets us know what you find out, I have a 01 300M