Thread: 88fierbird v6 to v8?? help!!!!!

Hybrid booster

88fierbird v6 to v8?? help!!!!!

Hi all i have an 88 firebird with the 2.8l v6 with an auto tranny. i would like to drop in a v8, today i picked up an 81 silverado that was originally a 6.2 diesel and someone replaced with a 350. Will the 350 engine bolt up to the v6 transmission? The 4.3 litre v6 will bolt up to the 2.8L tranny as they are the same bolt pattern. Are the bolt patterns on the 4.3 and the 350 the same.
    Will any of the other driveline stuff, driveshaft/rearend have to be replaced?

Hybrid booster

Re: 88fierbird v6 to v8?? help!!!!!

I believe the V6 and the V8 both share the 4L60E transmission. I could be mistaken. I know the 3800 did. I have a friend that has a GTP with 400+hp to the wheels. Traction is becoming a problem for him. He is thinking about putting it in a Firebird. So he is looking for a V6 bird for that reason.
    Shelby Lancer # 149... R.I.P.

Hybrid booster

Oh damn I didn't notice you said '88, I was thinking '98. I had an '87 Formula WS6 that had the T-5. I can't remember what the auto was it might have had a 200-4R like my Monte SS..I know http://www.f-body.org/ was a good site I used to frequent when I had my bird.
    Shelby Lancer # 149... R.I.P.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

The 2.8 is a 60 degree v-6. The trans from the v6 will not bolt up to the Chevy v8. You need a trans from a v8 or 90 degree chevy v6, like the 4.3.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

buddy had an 86 s-10 with the 2.8 and the 4.3 bolted right up and as i understand the 4.3 and the 5.0 and 5.7 are the same bolt pattern, thas why i asked, also how much power can theis t-top car handle befor i worry about twisting?

Your friend is mistaken. The 2.8 and 4.3 have different trans bolt patterns.

http://members.shaw.ca/betterthanyou...t_patterns.htm

As for chassis twisting, I have seen stock 305 Ttop cars with stress cracks where the window meets the roof.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Mike is correct, along with the link. You friend is wrong if he said a 2.8 V6 bellhousing bolted to a 90 degree V6/V8 block. Also, the 6.2 didn't come out until '82. Anywho, make sure it is a Chevy block not an Olds block.
    Otherwise, you can get subframe connectors that will help with traction and limit the body twisting, but it is going to happen on any 80's F-body.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

Yeah only engine that would bolt up would be a 3.4 not 4.3. the later 3.8 RWD block might bolt up too, but for what you are getting your best bet is to find an Fbody trans, if not you will have to buy an adapter for the torque arm to bolt to so your rear end stays where it is supposed to. While your at it make sure the kit comes with torque arm bushing or you will have to replace it too. Its the long bar that goes from the rear end to the trans if your wondering. Driveshaft should be the same if your going from a 4 speed auto to a 4 speed auto, but they are a dime a dozen in the junkyard if not. I know where the is a TPI Trans am sitting right now. Let me know if you need some little parts as I have to go out there anyways to get some L body stuff if their lone omni is still there. the other thing you would need is V8 springs otherwise there will be way too much weight in the front. So basically torque arm adapter and/or correct trans, new engine mounts, exhaust, driveshaft if different, V8 springs. Then if you run carb your fine. Fuel injections no go on that old of a 350. I do not believe the intake will match to the older style 85 down heads. Just look for the center bolts valve covers that gives it away. Let me know if you want to know anything about the swap. I had an 86 camaro with the swap done. It used a 250C trans from a G body(regal/cutlass/monte carlo) and the tailshaft housing from the Fbody V6 trans was used as it had the mount for the torque arm which is another route you can go. Been there done that. I had this car as senior in high school but its still fresh in memory. It was rust free and I shouldn't have parted with it.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Hybrid booster

sorry i was mistaken, he also had a 350turbo tranny, for some reason i didnt think he changed it, as far as twisting im more worryed about the t tops starting to pop out, also was thinging of sticken a stock mitsu on the old 2.8 i dont really cair about it, just gunna se what it would do. and as far as fuel for the 350 i will prob run the rochester thats on it, but they are crap i have had nothing but bad luck with them, will probably go Edelbrock. thanks every one

Back in the mid-early '80's, GM had quite a bit invested in that 2.8 engine family as far as performance parts. The Corvette GTP program used a turbocharged 2.8 v6 that was pretty wicked!
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

turbo addict

get some sub frame connectors also. the benefits on a t-top are numerous.
    That 2.8 sounds pretty interesting. I know about the 3.1 turbo cars and that they run pretty good with the right mods.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

You will also need all the accessories and brackets, different between 2.8 and V8.

The 2.8 will have a puny diff so beware if you put a nice built 350 in, you'll snap it like a twig.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Yep. That too. Also the accessories are different from V-belt to serp belt and I'm not sure the newer style serp belt stuff will work on an older engine.. I have seen S10 diffs hold up without abuse with an Auburn posi bolted in. 12 bolt or 9 inch is preferred though.

Agreed. The GM Corporate 7.5" rear is barely adequate for bone stock v8's. As stated, they can be made to live with an aftermarket diff and axles, but thats alot to spend on a rear to make it "good enough". Heck, I have heard of people on really tight budgets using 8.8 Ford rears.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Hybrid booster

not gunna have it built its going in as is the truck has 660,245km on the ticker, might try the turbo first, i would think the 2.8 should spool a mitsu fast, and might intercool it, now just to try to do it

You mean a mitsu from a Chrysler 2.5 on your 2.8 V6?
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Yes Mike....putting a mitsu turbo on a 2.8.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Hybrid booster

anything i should know about turboing this car

turbo addict

Humm steal the bits out of a '89-90 Grand Prix Turbo???

Swap a Sy/Ty motor???

Maybe useful... http://www.turbograndprix.com/

turbo addict

look under 1990 grand prix STE at rock auto, some bits might be useful

Edit: doh, they list Grand Prix Maclaren as well...

Hmm in view of the fact that this motor apparently needed forged rods, forged crank special pistons etc to only make a stock 200HPish, then you might wanna just swap a motor into the thing, particularly as later 60* family motors such as 3400 put out over 200HP and should be a cheap and easyish swap.