Thread: Rattle??

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 30 PSI SHADOW's Avatar

Rattle??

I have noticed that my 568 with the clutch out and idling, i get a fair amount of rattling from the TOB. Should i be worried? how do i tell if the imput shaft? might be naking that noise. I know the TOBs are always noisy, but this seems to be a bit more than usual....
    Bill Baker
    NESDAC Pres.
    Rutland,Vermont
    90 Shadow VNT comp 332WHP/390WTQ
    12.26@116MPH-27psi (SOLD)
    89 CSX #269 59k
    83 Rampage T3 11.78@118MPH- 22psi

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: Rattle??

Its probably not the throwout bearing. On all the fwd dodge manual trannies ive heard that noise on, when you push the clutch in just enough to put some pressure on the tob, the noise doesnt go away, but if you actually push in the clutch you can hear the noise go away as the shaft spins down to 0, indicating its internal.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

I've had excellent sucess in eliminating the "rattle" by changing transmission fluid. While idling in neutral with the clutch engaged the input shaft is turning at engine speed along with the speed gears on the intermediate shaft, but not the shaft itself. Part of each synchro assembly is turning and part is not. Due to the design of the synchro's there is some free play in neutral and engine pulses are amplifying the free play and the result is the audible rattle. With the clutch disengaged there is a considerable reduction in engine pulses reaching the synchros but the throwout bearing often gets the blame. Production tolerences make some units more suceptable to noise than others and as the fluid viscosity lessens with age some units rattle more with lower viscosity fluid. I have experimented with various fluids over the years and have personally found it's possible to change transmission characteristics with different fluids. This "rattle" can be found in any manual transmission, not just ours.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    I've had excellent sucess in eliminating the "rattle" by changing transmission fluid. While idling in neutral with the clutch engaged the input shaft is turning at engine speed along with the speed gears on the intermediate shaft, but not the shaft itself. Part of each synchro assembly is turning and part is not. Due to the design of the synchro's there is some free play in neutral and engine pulses are amplifying the free play and the result is the audible rattle. With the clutch disengaged there is a considerable reduction in engine pulses reaching the synchros but the throwout bearing often gets the blame. Production tolerences make some units more suceptable to noise than others and as the fluid viscosity lessens with age some units rattle more with lower viscosity fluid. I have experimented with various fluids over the years and have personally found it's possible to change transmission characteristics with different fluids. This "rattle" can be found in any manual transmission, not just ours.

Thanks
    Randy

Yep, GM's 5 speed in trucks was notorious for that noise, customers would b*tch and moan, lol. My Grand Am also had it, the 282 trans, you get used to it,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

What is a good fluid to quiet it down? GM syncromesh? I use 5W30 and can hear a little bit of rattle when standing outside the car on the driver side with my head near the front wheel.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amcpacer View Post
    What is a good fluid to quiet it down? GM syncromesh? I use 5W30 and can hear a little bit of rattle when standing outside the car on the driver side with my head near the front wheel.
    You could try SM, may or may not do anything. If you want to run thicker oil, that will stop it but then you affect your shifting.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info