Thread: 87 T2 LM + auto trans = ???

87 T2 LM + auto trans = ???

I've got a 87 T2 daytona logic module, if I run it in a setup with an auto trans instead of a manual trans as the LM is calibrated for, am I going to run into any problems with driveability? I've heard some rumors over the years of stalling on decel or the manual trans LM not being able to deal with the extra load at idle in gear.

Any truth to these rumors or am I worrying about nothing??

turbo addict

Re: 87 T2 LM + auto trans = ???

I have been running a GLHS LM with an automatic for about 6 months now. I had some idle issues with the speed sensor connected, mostly with it coming to a stop. It was tolerable, but disconnecting the speed sensor was a perfect cure. The idle now slips down to about 700 before bumping back up to 900 rpm when the car slows to a stop, just enough to load the engine against the converter.

I realize that diconnecting the speed sensor at the sensor will cause your speedo to stop working. I would try driving it with everything connected, and if for some reason you run into any issues you could disconnect the speed sensor input to the LM, which would keep the speedo working correctly.

A very easy solution is to find a LM for an automatic-equipped Shelby Lancer. Only factory TII/Auto LM out there!
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind. This is going into a vehicle with a cable op speedo anyway, so that makes things easy. I would just look for a lancer T2 LM like you say, but I already have 2 or 3 shelby Z LM's sitting on the shelf...

Or get someone to socket and burn a chip for an 87 Shelby Lancer. I can't remember his name.

Garrett booster

I recently did the same thing to my Daytona, put a TII intake on with an automatic transmission. It runs perfectly and never hints of stalling out ever. As long as your car is in good running condition, you will have no problem. In fact, my car runs much better with it than it ever did with the auto trans TI calibration. Hope this helps.

-Dan-

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by looneytuner View Post
    Or get someone to socket and burn a chip for an 87 Shelby Lancer. I can't remember his name.
    That's the way to go right there.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by looneytuner View Post
    That would be "shelgame"
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

I dont think you will have a problem. I ran that same combo in my NY with no drive ability issues. But, I you do, I wouldn't unhook the SS. Just bypass the AIS and manually set the idle to 1k with the set screw. Pretty easy stuff.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar

All I had to do was raise my static idle on the warm engine to the point my AIS was almost completely closed. It even adjusts for the AC properly. I was having a problem with stalling if I hit the gas to back up or move slightly forward until I did this.