Thread: "Shortening" coil springs

Garrett booster

"Shortening" coil springs

Hi! I figured I'd refrain from using the term cutting springs to avoid sounding like a cheap hack, but I guess I am one anyways

First off, these are progressive coil springs (MIR Racing, purchased through group buy off TD like 4 years ago). The tighter wound coils at the bottom of the springs coil bind even with just the weight of the car - so, when I say I'm going to cut the springs I'm only cutting part of the bound section of coils, which shouldn't have any affect on spring rates.

Secondly, this is on my super bad --- Lancer Shelby

Thirdly, the reason I'd like to cut the springs is to balance out the stance of the car - the rear is too high and I'm even uneven side to side.

My corner measurements (with tires aired up the same, measured from ground to bottom of fender lip) are as follows:
    LF 24 1/4" RF 24 1/2"

LR 24 5/8" RR 25 1/2"

I'd like everything down to the 24 1/4" range. I normally wouldn't even worry about the fronts, but I am installing new struts at this time so I think I might even try to take a hair off the RF coil.

Now finally my question (sorry for the boring lead up), without trial and error-ing is the a good way to know how much to cut off each coil? Being that the coils I'm cuttting are already bound, I figured if I take the free length of the coils and eyeball myself a measurement of how far I want it to drop, and cut off (example) 1/2" worth of height in coils, which I imagine won't even be like 1/2 an actual coil. Did I just confuse anyone else? 'Cause I'm confusing myself.

Thanks for any input

turbo addict

Re: "Shortening" coil springs

I've seen it done before. It worked.
    Height of the "dead" coil, the one dead wind, should lower the car that much.

Good luck!
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

For starters, swap the left side with the right side, some coils are done that way on purpose so it sits level with you in it.

I would start off small, maybe 1/2 coil, as you can always cut more if you get it wrong.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Great idea!
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com