Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting into a devils own kit Need advise

Hybrid booster

Thinking of getting into a devils own kit Need advise

ok so you see my sig and all and i have been thinking of getting a kit Since the motor is out for the weekend getting something fixed that i screwed up.

When is it needed after what boost level and 91 gas with my setup???

how is the best way to setup ? how do you know if its 2 much or little?? I do run a wideband and egt so that should help

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Thinking of getting into a devils own kit Need advise

Start out small and keep adding it until the you start to loose trap speed, then back off a bit. Then start adding timing a little bit at a time.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic

Personally, I'd buy a different kit. I just had my devilsown controller fail and a friend had his fail last year. No warning... just quit driving the pump.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jckrieger View Post
    Personally, I'd buy a different kit. I just had my devilsown controller fail and a friend had his fail last year. No warning... just quit driving the pump.
    So out of the 1000's sold, 2 failed???????? If thats your reasoning, stop buying any product as shockers, some fail without warning.

I've had mine for 3 years, it works awesome. I talked to him in person at SDAC 16 so he recommended the nozzle size. I ran 50/50 windshield washer fluid, 89 octane gas and 20 psi with my TIII setup. The progressive controller rocks,

Right now, running pure meth for extra fuel but going back to 50/50, I read it works better than pure meth due to the water actually is better.

I also think I need a larger nozzle so I am going to order some.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    So out of the 1000's sold, 2 failed???????? If thats your reasoning, stop buying any product as shockers, some fail without warning.
    My point here is that of the 2 people I know who had this kit, both of them failed. If I knew 1000 people with the progressive controller, then, well, maybe I'd have a different feeling. I personally think it's sad when a controller with a diode, a transistor, and a couple IC's isn't more reliable. Oh well, I guess I get to reverse engineer mine and make a better unit. Maybe I'll build and sell replacement boards for the people with failed controllers. Either that, or we can start using the Turbonator cals and do all the work in software with a simple solid state relay.

Have you got ahold of DD and see if there is any warranty or discount on a new part??????? You of all should realize that your at the mercy of source parts and have no control over their quality.

And no, I am not sticking up for them because I own one, I would do it with any product line.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

It's a well known fact that the drivers and circuitry in the Devils own kit is rather small for the current demands of the suerflow pumps...and if you read around other message boards the controller failure is more prominent than one might think...nbw, is it any more than other comapnies controllers?...you be the judge. All I know is that when it came time for me to make my choice I looked at all the competitors systems and noticed how much larger their controllers were...and concluded that there must be a reason...just like power inverters and car stero amplifiers...generally the bigger it is the more mosfets ='s more power holding capacity/generation.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

id rather just use the cal and some relays to stage a few injectors. the progressive nature of the controller is nice but it only ramps up as the boost ramps up. you can get close enough to the ramp function with 3 small injectors. thats what i did with my setup. no stumbling. ran 25psi with pump gas and no knock in 4th and 5th gear.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by badandy View Post
    It's a well known fact that the drivers and circuitry in the Devils own kit is rather small for the current demands of the suerflow pumps...and if you read around other message boards the controller failure is more prominent than one might think...nbw, is it any more than other comapnies controllers?...you be the judge. All I know is that when it came time for me to make my choice I looked at all the competitors systems and noticed how much larger their controllers were...and concluded that there must be a reason...just like power inverters and car stero amplifiers...generally the bigger it is the more mosfets ='s more power holding capacity/generation.
    +1...many people have had failures...just because Simon hasn't doesn't mean it isn't a common problem...check neon and turbo ford forums to see what we're talking about

What is the name of that W/I kit mfr that has had zero failures... can't think of the name right now.... anybody?
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by t3rse View Post
    +1...many people have had failures...just because Simon hasn't doesn't mean it isn't a common problem...check neon and turbo ford forums to see what we're talking about
    I am not saying this because I have had no failures. Thats like saying don't get an SRT 4 as some have issues,

Don't buy a Turbo Dodge as they blew up and cost money???

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    What is the name of that W/I kit mfr that has had zero failures... can't think of the name right now.... anybody?
    Snow Performance maybe?

Snow Performance maybe?
    I was being sarcastic, but if they really have had no failures, that's pretty remarkable.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

turbo addict

I am not saying this because I have had no failures. Thats like saying don't get an SRT 4 as some have issues,

Don't buy a Turbo Dodge as they blew up and cost money???

Snow Performance maybe?
    1 piece of anecdotal evidence that these things aren't turds isn't enough to overcome the thousands of failures. Do 90% of Srts have issues? TDs blow up because they are old and not maintained and people like yourself crank up the boost without doing proper tuning.

I was being sarcastic, but if they really have had no failures, that's pretty remarkable.
    Sorry, hard to tell sarcasm over the net,

1 piece of anecdotal evidence that these things aren't turds isn't enough to overcome the thousands of failures. Do 90% of Srts have issues? TDs blow up because they are old and not maintained and people like yourself crank up the boost without doing proper tuning.
    So your saying 1000's of DO kits have failed?????? That would mean almost every DO kit sold is junk or DOA. I find that extremely hard to believe.

Your still not really getting the point, my response was more tonque in cheek as to sh*t happens. Now if every DO kit failed then yeah, I would say stay away. I remember reading about another kit who's pump's kept failing but they are still in business. Sh*t goes wrong, they either fix it or they go out of business.

On the same token, a few people saying they've had problems with their DO kit does not make all of them crappy.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

turbo addict

indeed...but it common knowledge that snow has better controllers

turbo addict

I've had mine for 3 years, it works awesome. I talked to him in person at SDAC 16 so he recommended the nozzle size. I ran 50/50 windshield washer fluid, 89 octane gas and 20 psi with my TIII setup. The progressive controller rocks,

Right now, running pure meth for extra fuel but going back to 50/50, I read it works better than pure meth due to the water actually is better.

I also think I need a larger nozzle so I am going to order some.
    Why in the world (not neccessarily quoted post per say) do people get so defensive? Okay, let me try and reel this back in here...

The original poster said "personally, I would stay away from Devils Own kits" (or something to that nature)...which I took to mean "My opinion through personal experience is to not get a devils Own kit because I have seen two controllers fail. Nothing wrong with that statement...it's backed up with proper reasoning and proof.

Okay...now "personally" Simon...it appeared to me you took some quick offense to that posters experience...so you recanted with your own...and in doing so squashed their reasoning...RIGHT? Kinda like how antimate you are about things like rebuilt master cylinders or gapless rings or (fill in the others you are antimate about). Now...I have my own experiences with the things you say are great and the things you say blow chunks...but I don't reply to you like you did to the original poster...follow me?

My point which T3RSE backed up was that Devils Own's controllers are indeed tiny by comparison to the market. If you do a little research about how they are tiny and why the competitors controllers are not...and you compare that to the failure rates of the controllers themselves...you can then come to your own conclusion...makes sense to me

If you have not had a failure...than that is all that needs to be said...not dispute someone elses's claims and discredit their statement in doing so.

Besides...it isn't like the topic was unfounded...there is proof of failure...see for yourself instead of disputing based off of your experiences alone.

My other point is the Devil's Own kits are priced rather inexpensively compared to the market...now are they every bit just as good?...I doubt it...but do they do the job just fine for most all consumers...apparently so.

To each their own....rant off.

Why in the world (not neccessarily quoted post per say) do people get so defensive? Okay, let me try and reel this back in here...

The original poster said "personally, I would stay away from Devils Own kits" (or something to that nature)...which I took to mean "My opinion through personal experience is to not get a devils Own kit because I have seen two controllers fail. Nothing wrong with that statement...it's backed up with proper reasoning and proof.

Okay...now "personally" Simon...it appeared to me you took some quick offense to that posters experience...so you recanted with your own...and in doing so squashed their reasoning...RIGHT? Kinda like how antimate you are about things like rebuilt master cylinders or gapless rings or (fill in the others you are antimate about). Now...I have my own experiences with the things you say are great and the things you say blow chunks...but I don't reply to you like you did to the original poster...follow me?

My point which T3RSE backed up was that Devils Own's controllers are indeed tiny by comparison to the market. If you do a little research about how they are tiny and why the competitors controllers are not...and you compare that to the failure rates of the controllers themselves...you can then come to your own conclusion...makes sense to me

If you have not had a failure...than that is all that needs to be said...not dispute someone elses's claims and discredit their statement in doing so.

Besides...it isn't like the topic was unfounded...there is proof of failure...see for yourself instead of disputing based off of your experiences alone.

My other point is the Devil's Own kits are priced rather inexpensively compared to the market...now are they every bit just as good?...I doubt it...but do they do the job just fine for most all consumers...apparently so.

Just because.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rerun.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	15098  
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Why, because I hate seeing products/people bashed over a "few" failures, to which all products are guilty of.

Exactly, each there own.

Mike, funny, ;lol:

turbo addict

Just because.
    Man, I will never forget you saying that when running trying to catch up to Reeves's van that time LMAO! I swear man...I just busted out laughing seeing that picture!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast