Thread: Help me identify this turbo; then help me identify my issue....

Help me identify this turbo; then help me identify my issue....

I took some pics of the turbo I just took off of my van. I do not think it is a .57 trim as I was told. It looks like a T3/T4 .46 trim with a .48 A/R housing. Does this look correct? I took a pic of the turbine wheel, but I don't know if you can identify it by looking at it.
    Now, the one on the left is the .40 trim I bought from Rich Bryant. It also has the .48 turbine housing and Stage II wheel.
    Now that I have this information, what can be said about it not having power when the boost comes in? Once it hits about 10 psi it feels like it lays over; like it is making noise but not any power.
    Cam timing is correct, I checked it with a timing light and I have cranking compression in the 150's to 160's.
    The ignition timing was set to 12* with the plug pulled on the coolant temp. sensor.
    I am getting boost relatively early, but even with the boost at 15 psi, the thing is feeling slow. With the Mitsu turbo, the thing would really pull at 15 psi.
    I am running a cal from ShelGame with +40% injectors and an afpr set to 55 psi (static).
    What am I missing? I am running out of ideas!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Help me identify this turbo; then help me identify my issue....

got some measurements?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Inducer looks like 2", while the exducer looks like almost (really close to) 3". It is Turbonetics, so I am assuming it is 2.95".

-Les

BTW, someone borrowed my caliper, so I am using a tape; I could be a little off.

46 - 2.003" / 3"
    50 - 2.122" / 3"
    57 - 2.230" / 3"

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Any ideas why it would feel like it is starting to pull up to about 10psi and then quit pulling? Can I add more timing to a ported 782 head with methanol injection to wake it up, or am I just masking the true problem?

-Les

BTW, I am thinking it is a .50 trim. Is this still too big?

-Les

Quote Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post
    Any ideas why it would feel like it is starting to pull up to about 10psi and then quit pulling? Can I add more timing to a ported 782 head with methanol injection to wake it up, or am I just masking the true problem?

-Les
    I wouldnt add timing... in fact, if it stops pulling, the computer could be adding fuel or pulling timing if the boost is making it knock with whatever timing it has?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

With the cal that I am running, the CEL should come on if there is knock. If the AF goes really rich, could it cause the same sympotms? The DD is still in the yellow at WOT and I don't get the CEL.
    Could the .48 A/R turbine housing cause the problem? I have heard it is a bottle-neck, but I am no where near 300 hp in this thing, and I read that is where the limits of the .48 housing is noticable.

-Les