Thread: Knocking above 5500 RPM's...

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Knocking above 5500 RPM's...

Calibration in the car still needs to be fine tuned...should be done within the next few days, however I'm wondering if there's anything I could fix to quit the car from knocking above 5500. A/F with 55PSI base is .80-.82 at WOT. I tried bumping the base pressure up to 60PSI base which bumps up the A/F at WOT to a steady .92. Still knocking. Running 93 Octane. Even tried topping off the tank with 100 Octane (put 4 gallons in and it put it at full tank). Still the same...
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Knocking above 5500 RPM's...

Higher pump pressure does not always meen more flow, most fuel pumps are designed to run at ~43psi.

What injectors?

Back off on the timing... damn T-III gotta do that in the cal I guess

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

52 lbs/hr Injectors. Fuel pump is a Walbro 255l/h High Pressure. Yeah maybe there is just a bit of timing that needs to be taken out of the cal, but I thought I might be able to do something else.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

IMO... Timing doesnt make enough power to gamble with.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

I don't think he was trying to push the envelope with the timing, more of a safe, baseline cal until we could get to the dyno or do some refining through data logging info. We'll see. I'm sure the re-cal will fix it...

Cool... BTW, love the Avatar!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Thanks! Gary Mazzone I believe made it for me a long time ago, just remembered it and thought I'd through it up there.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

What kind of cal is this?! What boost pressure are you running, how much timing, set-up? Unless this cal is totally F******, I don't see why your car would be knocking with 100 octane mix. My FWDP cal will start pulling timing around 20psi with 93gas but with race gas its fine. If your staying under 18lbs then put the stock cal back in or pull back the timing from the stock levels before you mess something up.

Unless.......I take it you have a fixed FP gauge somewhere, have you checked to see if the fuel pressure is rising with boost? While idling, take the hose from the intake and apply pressure to the regulator and see if the FP goes up.
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    What kind of cal is this?! What boost pressure are you running, how much timing, set-up? Unless this cal is totally F******, I don't see why your car would be knocking with 100 octane mix. My FWDP cal will start pulling timing around 20psi with 93gas but with race gas its fine. If your staying under 18lbs then put the stock cal back in or pull back the timing from the stock levels before you mess something up.

Unless.......I take it you have a fixed FP gauge somewhere, have you checked to see if the fuel pressure is rising with boost? While idling, take the hose from the intake and apply pressure to the regulator and see if the FP goes up.
    Custom Calibration. 20PSI. FP rises with boost. I just talked to guy who's tuning it on the phone and he figured it out from data logs I recorded. Leaving for vacation in a few hours. Cal should be re-done some time next week, I'll give you guys a report once I get back from his place.

And nothing is going to get messed up and nothing is messed up...it is my daily but I've sinced parked it.

If I beat that S4 with it running the way it was I'm wondering how much more this beast has in it.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Sounds like the cal guy put too much timing in it,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

He's an 8v guru. He told me before hand he's only done a few 16v engines. I don't mind being a test pilot. Engine is fine, can't wait for the re-cal!

Just a long overdue update. Car is running 23PSI right now on pump gas, no meth. No more knock. Didn't think a re-cal would make a huge difference, but it did! Maybe I'll take it to the dyno and the track in the near future. I keep putting it off with so much fun on the street.

Alright problem fixed. Hopefully this is the last time. Now to do the shifter cable shimmy and get her down to woodward / shelby meeting!