Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 1986 Subaru Leone GL Wagon!

My 1986 Subaru Leone GL Wagon!

First off... listen to this comercial and sing this the whole damn time you read this... as it plays through my head the whole time I drive this car...

YEAR: 1986
    MAKE: Subaru
    MODEL: Leone GL
    TYPE: 4 door wagon
    COLOR: Janitor approved WHITE
    INTERIOR: GL series cloth seats
    ENGINE: 1.8L Subaru Boxer EA82 Carburated Engine
    TRANSMISSION: 5 speed manual with dual range 4WD
    MILEAGE: 218K

Engine modifications:
    Rebuilt at 190,000 miles
    Weber 32/36 - Redline kit #731
    High output alternator conversion
    Accel coil and plug wires
    EGR and catalyst delete

Other modifications:
    Class II hitch and wiring
    Rockford Fosgate 4 channel amp for door speakers
    Pioneer CD/MP3 player
    AutoGage oil pressure and water temperature gauges
    Front badass push thing with four bright rallye lights
    Prewired for subwoofer
    Power hatch lock and power mirrors... and manual steering!

The previous owner had the car since 1994 when he bought it from the original owner. He freaking MADE that front thing! It looks so awesomely badass. The dude really loved this car but he was moving to Germany so he had to sell it... and now it's MINE for the low price of $400.

LIGHT DUTY TRUCK! HELL ------ YEAH! This machine loves to work! Good strong hitch for pulling junk.

Climate controls... yeah... no a/c in this car.

Rear defroster, lights, and a boat load of blank plates that do nothing... yet

Radio, gauges, and shifter... notice the seperate 4WD lever...

Rear hatch power door lock... the rest of the doors are manual locks and manual windows...

Gauge cluster. It has a picture of a car in the center that I really like... it tells you if the doors are open, if the hatch is open, high beam lights, 4WD status, and rear defroster... check it out...

Continued in post below...
    Last edited by Dodge Aries K; 04-15-2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: EA82 engine, not EJ82... wrong car for that...

Re: My 1986 Subaru Leone GL Wagon!

Super comfy seats!

Yep... SPOILER!

Here's a shot under the hood... these old Subaru's are interesting because look where the spare tires is...

Bizzare, eh? This Suby is so old it's still carburated. Fuel Injection... OPTIONAL. At least it has a newer Weber Redline carb on it so it behaves quite well. It's funny when the secondary opens... it'll slightly chirp the tires in 1st gear when that happens around 3500 RPM if you're giving it all she's got.

Crazy Subaru only wheel bolt pattern... I have the center caps for the rims... just am scared of them falling off so I'll be using a tiny bit of glue to help hold them on. Oh yeah, 4 wheel disc brakes on this thing!

Overall it's a very nice clean car. A little rust repair and some paint touch up and she'll be golden!

It's forcing the 2000 Neon I have out of here... so once the title shows up for it from the DMV I'll be placing that for sale if anyone is interested.

turbo addict

That is a sweet car Karl!
    what are your plans for it?

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by dodge aries k View Post

bizzare, eh? This suby is so old it's still carburated. Fuel injection... Optional. At least it has a newer weber redline carb on it so it behaves quite well. It's funny when the secondary opens... It'll slightly chirp the tires in 1st gear when that happens around 3500 rpm if you're giving it all she's got. Overall it's a very nice clean car. A little rust repair and some paint touch up and she'll be golden!

It's forcing the 2000 neon i have out of here... So once the title shows up for it from the dmv i'll be placing that for sale if anyone is interested.
    $400????

Turbo it Karl.
    I have always liked those style Subbies.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

Dang that has got to be the best deal you have ever found. You won't find a better AWD wagon either. That puts to shame some of their newer stuff in terms of versatility. Thats like the old brat platform and those things would go through some stuff. I know of a 4wheel drive park where you could take your trucks, Jeeps, etc. to in a little podunk town called Laurel, IN. That thing is freaking sweet. I don't know how you are buying and selling all these cars without a killer job, but power to ya. I suppose if I was able to keep the over priced house I was renting I would be doing the same thing. Keep up the good work as that car is definitely in good hands!
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

My plans for it are to basically just clean it up nice, get it coated so the rust won't bite it in the --- anymore, and basically drive it for Utility Duty... like if I have to carry stuff or take my dog somewhere... and so on. Plus it gets decent fuel economy I'd figure so if it's not too hot out where I need my other Subaru's A/C I'll just drive this around.

Once the carburator pisses me off I'll probably just swap to the SPFI (think TBI K car setup) from a Loyale since it bolts right on and is very easy to add to this car and just keep on trucking. I'm hoping to hit 300,000 miles on this thing if not more. The biggest challenge will be to keep the body decent and protected from the elements. At least it's a white car so it'll be easy to keep okay I think.

turbo addict

POR15 or equivalent will be your best friend. skid plates if it doesn't already have them. Better tires for mo fo winter fun. I mean heck those things from what I hear(the old subs that is) do better in the snow than almost anything save for something with more ground clearance. The interior is kinda cozy looking too. This car needs a winch while your at it!
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

It's funny you mention the skid plates... my buddy and I are going to fab up some nice ones for it.

Tried to fix the 4WD... it works fine but the car vibrates... found out the front section of the driveshaft also has a u-joint that we're going to need to replace. While I'm at it I'm going to replace the engine and transmission mounts.

I got the service manual for it... and apparently it's built into the car to make it very easy to change the ride height! Not sure how much it can be raised without it throwing the tires out of alignment... so we'll see.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Interesting find Karl... 218k miles?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Yep, 218K... runs like a champ! My old 92 Legacy (should have kept it) had over 200K on it and ran perfect and my 03 Forester has 152K on it.

I've seen a LOT of Subaru's go a lot more... most of the ones I find in the yard are wrecked bad, automatics, or have 300K+ on them.

Hopefully the weather will be more cooperative tomorrow and I can get some more stuff done on the car.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Its a rare day to see an older one of those left around here, most returned back to the ground long ago. Ones left are the ones that the owners have taken care of.

how well do those frameless windows seal up ? One of those neon and subaru things I've never liked.

Heh, Neon frameless windows are terrible. The Legacy and Leone are amazingly quiet. The Forester needed the window gussets (the triangle thing the mirrors bolt to) compressed back in and it's really quiet too.

My Neons... they're terrible with wind noise.

turbo addict

lol, yeah these aren't old mitsu/mopar engines. These are the real deal. Much like the other import engines these are well designed and run forever. There was a guy with a Volvo that had the 2.3 with many miles on it and it too ran like a top. Let me know if you see a subaru Brat anytime. Those things are cool!

Don't forget that since it has no power, most people weren't out flogging them. Even when you did, they were slow...LOL. They are built tuff.

BTW....I worked at a subby dealer years ago. I thought they were called Loyale not Leone?
    Bryan

I like it Karl! Let's take it out to my Parent's farm and see how far we can ramp it off the hill out back!

[FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Paul, I've got to come out there and try that!!!! I've always wanted to jump a Crown Vic or Caprice!!!!!!
    Bryan

The Leone was before they changed the name to Loyale.

Paul, I'd prefer not to destroy my car...

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post

Gotcha. I agree, it is in too good a shape to launch.
    Bryan

turbo addict

I would definitely not be beyond building a baja style truck or getting a sand rail and doing just that Paul!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post

But dude, this looks fun doesn't it?

[FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast