Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock Turbo Upgrade?

Garrett booster

Stock Turbo Upgrade?

ok, so i am kind of stuck between putting on an aftermarket 50-trim T3/T4 hybrid or upgrading the stock turbo on my r/t daytona. my goals are to have about 300whp or so, and it is going to be my fast daily driver. anything close to that would be good, the car will be getting an aftermarket fmic,intake,and full 3in. exhaust, along with fuel pump and other necessary parts. the problem is, i will not be able to fab a custom downpipe and i am not sure if the hybrid needs one. i am new to turbo cars but have read the dodge garage at least 3 times. i just want some input from other TIII owners. thanks.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Stock Turbo Upgrade?

You can try to find a .63 housing, that will help with your goal.

The 50 trim is the best upgrade and yes, you will need to fab up a DP unless you buy my adapter that lets you run a stock DP. You buy a Ford universal 5 bolt SV, then bolt on the adapter, your good to go. You can only use a 2.5 inch DP though or use the 2.5 donut and weld it to a 3 inch DP.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...hlight=springs
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

if i did get the 50 trim, is there anyone here on the forum that is good with fabing downpipes? other than the downpipe, is there anything else that would need to be custom made? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonaKid62 View Post
    if i did get the 50 trim, is there anyone here on the forum that is good with fabing downpipes? other than the downpipe, is there anything else that would need to be custom made? thanks
    Jackson might be able too or a local exhaust shop.

Or by the v/band flange from APT, with matching elbow, like in this pic-

1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

i heard that he is amazing when it comes to making stuff for TIII's, and his dp for Cory's holset is very nice. how would the stock turbo hold up if i ran a stage 4 cal?

Stock turbo is good for 20+ psi if in good shape and synthetic oil helps,

Garrett booster

thats good, i might do that for the time being and that atp v-band clamp and elbow looks good, would that mate up to the existing downpipe if i cut some off?

thats good, i might do that for the time being and that atp v-band clamp and elbow looks good, would that mate up to the existing downpipe if i cut some off?
    It probably will but you need to add some flexpipe into it as well.

Garrett booster

that sounds pretty good, it would deff. cost a lot more but it would be worth it. thanks for the info. and just to make sure, what are the exact specs for the turbo that would suit my car the best?

that sounds pretty good, it would deff. cost a lot more but it would be worth it. thanks for the info. and just to make sure, what are the exact specs for the turbo that would suit my car the best?
    50 trim T3/T4, stage II turbine, .63 housing, T3 flange.

Garrett booster

thanks, it is a tough decision to make, i was also thinking of just getting a stage one cal from fwdp. and running 15 psi for a year or so. would that make decent power for a driver? ive only been in my friends golf with a super 60 that hits fuel cut at 3k rpms cause of stock injectors. other than that i have never driven or been in a turbo car. enlighten me on how fast it is.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

stock turbo wont hold 20psi to redline if you have a good exhaust, 17psi maybe. If your goal is 300whp then upgrade to the 50trim. If your goal is 300chp then stick with the stock turbo. I think it was Larry J. that was able to get a stock snail to 300 whp by jamming the wg shut but, the Dyno chart looked horrible.
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

Garrett booster

yeah, im not going to mess with modding the turbo, its either stick with the stock one and a stage one cal, or upgrade to the hybrid and get the atp ultimate wastegate and vband stuff along with a stage 4 cal. it all depends.

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    stock turbo wont hold 20psi to redline if you have a good exhaust, 17psi maybe. If your goal is 300whp then upgrade to the 50trim. If your goal is 300chp then stick with the stock turbo. I think it was Larry J. that was able to get a stock snail to 300 whp by jamming the wg shut but, the Dyno chart looked horrible.
    True but the turbo is capable of 20+ psi, that's what I meant,

Garrett booster

I have made a decision, for now, stock will do with an fmic, intake, and a 3 inch turbo back exhaust. Next winter when the car will not be driven, it will be getting a 50trim T3/T4, custom downpipe with external wastegate, fwdp stage 4 cal, and bigger injectors of course. I think it should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Stock turbo is good for 20+ psi if in good shape and synthetic oil helps,
    Wha? Maybe with a tiny exhaust.... With my cams and head, I couldnt hold more than 15psi. And it was a "rebuilt" s70.

I have made a decision, for now, stock will do with an fmic, intake, and a 3 inch turbo back exhaust. Next winter when the car will not be driven, it will be getting a 50trim T3/T4, custom downpipe with external wastegate, fwdp stage 4 cal, and bigger injectors of course. I think it should be good.
    Your best bet is to get ahold of cindy at FWDperformance. She has a very nice kit with a hybrid and a downpipe. STAY AWAY FROM S70 turbos! lol The rest of your mod list looks great!

Garrett booster

yeah, i actually talked to her not too long ago and i already have a friend who has a welding shop near me and he is very good, he even made a custom downpipe for his evo which looks nice. what turbo is Cindy's downpipe for? i will need to fab in something for the external gate anyway.

She has pretty much a bolt in kit for the hybrids. She has a couple different ones for the TIII. Honestly, if your going to go custom downpipe get ya a holset. lol Sorry, had to throw that out there. lol HX35 will out spool and outflow the hybrids and can be had CHEAP!

Garrett booster

honestly do you think that would be good since i am going all out for a 16 year old with every pay check, how much would the hx35 cost?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast