Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NASA track racing prep Qs

Hybrid booster

Re: NASA track racing prep Qs

Yeah, I don't recall any real problems stopping the car before. I hear you on the fluid though. IIRC, your "supposed" to change the fluid every 2-3 years, but most people probably never do unless something happens. Once the fluid gets water in it, the boiling point drops DRASTICALLY. (580* to 240* for example)

Garrett booster

Your brakes will be fine if you run good pads and fluid. I run wagner severe duty and they work great at a good price. Don't focus on the DOT number of the brake fluid. To meet dot 4, or 5.1 they measure the dry and wet boiling point and you don't care about the wet. Because you are going to bleed the brakes before hitting the track. I run ATE superblue, while only a DOT 4 fluid it's dry boiling point is 536 degrees which is well above the DOT 5.1 spec. https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=3326
    -AJ-

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow24 View Post
    Yeah, I don't recall any real problems stopping the car before. I hear you on the fluid though. IIRC, your "supposed" to change the fluid every 2-3 years, but most people probably never do unless something happens. Once the fluid gets water in it, the boiling point drops DRASTICALLY. (580* to 240* for example)
    That's exactly why I completely flush the fluid in my cars every 2 years if I'm going to be running it in any events.

turbo addict

I know people that flush there system after any event. And also you can do most performance driving days with nothing but a helmet I thought. All the reading and studying I have done most people say let your car alone and learn how to drive it for a year then start changin parts that way your used to how the car handled in the first place and ur driving is good enough to use these changes

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    I know people that flush there system after any event. And also you can do most performance driving days with nothing but a helmet I thought. All the reading and studying I have done most people say let your car alone and learn how to drive it for a year then start changin parts that way your used to how the car handled in the first place and ur driving is good enough to use these changes
    Indeed, this is mostly what I have found as well. I have also changed my plan to running normal tires (at max, Star specs but no R-comps) and leaving the Car N/A for a bit. I was concerned with the brakes mostly from a longevity and safety perspective. Hard braking from 120 on smaller brakes made me a little concerned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12