Thread: Royal Purple

Garrett booster

Royal Purple

Anything to the hype about it and is it worth it? Also, is it compatible with an 89 A413? I have a brand new full rebuild being done on one and I just want to make sure that whatever fluid I put in there is going to be the best for it. I know simon recommends and stands behind Dextron (type F) and 10w-30 and I know that this question has been answered so many times the dead horse has given up the ghost another 30 times. My main question repeated.

Any advantage to using something as spendy as royal purple? Or is it just a gimmick?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Re: Royal Purple

Do what the manual calls for. If you still can't figure it out ask the guy/shop building your transmission. They're the ones that have to warranty it and if you put the wrong stuff in YOU get to pay them to do it again. I've been running Dexron III in 2 different A-413 (what the dipstick calls for) and have over 200,000 on one and over 100,000 on the other. The magic bullet to long tranny life isn't expensive fluid. It's the correct fluid and once a year I change the fluid and adjust the bands and clutchs. The higher milage trans was fine when I swapped it out when I built my engine for one with less miles. I used to run ATF+3 until they discontinued it. I'm not a fan of running synthetic in anything older than 1990 that hasn't been rebuilt. Some seals aren't conditioned for it and it may leak.

Dexron/Mercon type F is for older Fords. Pretty sure it's not recommended by Chrysler and 10w30 doesn't belong in any automatic transmission.

A.J.

Garrett booster

Cool. Really cool. I'm jus so excited to have this car running. I'll have a good talk with them. At the very least I am installing a transmission cooler in it to try to help the longevity. And an inline filter as well (probably a magnetic one.)

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I just use regular old Type F in my A413. I do like the Royal Purple motor oil tho.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

I use used motor oil in mine....is that bad? J/K
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

Garrett booster

Well you know, Aunt Jemima is running a special on 0w1.... maybe I can put that in...

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Dexron is different than Type F, both work fine but Type F is way more expensive these days but will help with firmer shifts.

If your racing it, go synthetic, if not, just use regular Dex or type F.

The litre or 2 of synthetic oil is to help the bearings live, cheap insurance,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

The best thing about Synthetics is, most of them are 100% chemicals. Conventional oil is brought up from the ground and we have to put additives in it to make it do what we want. The molecules are all misshaped and don't mesh well enough with one another. Synthetic oil is engineered to be almost perfect for whatever application it is used for.

I took this from the Amsoil website (my favorite oil) about ATF :

FRICTION DURABILITY
    Today’s transmissions are smaller and must withstand higher horsepower and torque while delivering smoother shifts, all with longer fluid life recommendations. AMSOIL Synthetic ATF is formulated with friction modifier additives that deliver outstanding clutch-holding capacity (static friction), torque-transfer ability (dynamic friction) and anti-shudder properties (slipping torqueconverter clutches).

You might pay a little bit more for synthetic oil, but like Turbovanman said "cheap insurance".

I have been running Amsoil motor oil in my 2000 Dodge Ram for 1 year and about 18,000 miles. Never had to top it up, change the filter, or the oil in one year. Well worth my investment and it is all warrantied!!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Noodle View Post
    The best thing about Synthetics is, most of them are 100% chemicals. Conventional oil is brought up from the ground and we have to put additives in it to make it do what we want. The molecules are all misshaped and don't mesh well enough with one another. Synthetic oil is engineered to be almost perfect for whatever application it is used for.

I took this from the Amsoil website (my favorite oil) about ATF :

FRICTION DURABILITY
    Today’s transmissions are smaller and must withstand higher horsepower and torque while delivering smoother shifts, all with longer fluid life recommendations. AMSOIL Synthetic ATF is formulated with friction modifier additives that deliver outstanding clutch-holding capacity (static friction), torque-transfer ability (dynamic friction) and anti-shudder properties (slipping torqueconverter clutches).

You might pay a little bit more for synthetic oil, but like Turbovanman said "cheap insurance".

I have been running Amsoil motor oil in my 2000 Dodge Ram for 1 year and about 18,000 miles. Never had to top it up, change the filter, or the oil in one year. Well worth my investment and it is all warrantied!!

Exactly, and take into account your usage, towing/drag racing will fry conventional oil and could even have the oil catch fire if you over heat it. I was told one sec on a trans brake and the oil temps rise 100 deg. Reg oil will be toast in mere seconds.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

I use Royal Purple in my manual trans and it is without a doubt the best and slickest fluid i've ever used.
    I don't know anything about their auto stuff so I'd suggest using what's known and proven.
    An auto rebuild as you know can cost bucks so taking chances may not be worth it.