Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 86 Turbo Z project updates

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Darkapollo's Avatar

86 Turbo Z project updates

I can not believe how easy this car is to work on. Really. My previous two daytonas were not BAD but they were just a pain in the butt, everything took longer then it really should have, and my white shadow im convinced was truly cursed. NOTHING went right on that car. EVER. My first TD, well, i did not wrench on it all that much...
    But this car.. This car was assembled by a car god. The only 'issues' were obviously the exhaust bolts/studs, some one had replaced one stud with a bolt which promptly broke off in the head. But I degress.. ON WITH THE PROJECT!

Im waiting for my tax return to come tomorrow so I can order a .63 housing from TU to replace the stock one that is a bit fubar from my removal attempts, oh well. upgrades are always welcome!

I have a G-body T2 Rad/IC for that spot.

Aww, shes calling out to me.. I want to DRIVE! I want to be FREE! Take me off these jack stands!! (and the hood is popped, its not crooked)

Damn bumper.. a FMIC would look rather NICE right there
    I may just modify the bumper for that

Yes, the car is in my back yard. Only way the cops will stop coming by to ask why it isnt inspected.

turbo addict

Re: 86 Turbo Z project updates

Thanks for the compliments....lol.. I did put the trans in that car and I put a fuel pump in from a T2 car so the fuel tank straps are equally easy. The K frame came from a 92 shadow for reference. When it comes to a project RUST FREE FTW! I know I like to save em, but it sure does take longer when they have rot. I've notice A LOT of people mod them first.. My advice FWIW fix EVERYTHING to make the car drive, handle, and look GREAT!!! Then mod the hell out of it.. Or since your modding the drive train already do it all at once! First gen C/S cars rock! Now I hope your not going to put too much power to it if that is the rebuilt 525 that is in there...
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Been meaning to ask you, who did the valve cover? It looks really well done (a bit dirty lol) and Im picking up an A555 on monday
    It will be a 'stock' T2 Z. Im not really 'up grading' anything, just replacing stock with stock. Plan is to have this as a nice day car and take her through the cones in Auto-X. No quarter mileing, ive lost my interest in driving straight.

and yes 1g FTW!

I think Im going to re-spray her Black with Silver GFX.. I like the red, but when it fades, ill be driving a Turbo Z barbie edition...

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkapollo View Post
    ...This car was assembled by a car god. The only 'issues' were obviously the exhaust bolts/studs, some one had replaced one stud with a bolt which promptly broke off in the head. But I degress..
    So learning how to crossthread bolts is on the path to being a car god? LOL

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

It wasnt him. lol. oh and big surprise the fail pro head gasget was blown. so was the manifold gasget. thats why it sounded like a harley hah.
    got all mopar gasgets for her on tuesday. just ordered the carpet earlier today.

turbo addict

Lol, I was wondering when that hg when going to die. Since you are probably changing out the LM for T2 action the fan should actually come on via the computer now, but then again on LM doesn't the power module do that? May want to look into that. The previous owner before me had rigged up the fan with a jumper. I didn't really sit in traffic much out in the country and really didn't have much time those days for electrical gremlin fun Guy who owned it before me worked for John Deere in their painting department at one time and painted the air box lid and VC with enamel and the VC paint was baked on.
    now maybe you could give me a good deal on that old 525
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

What kinda deal? lol.
    i was wondering about that jumper. i figured it was because the rad was trashed. ill look into the pm.

Got the carpet installed, fit was VERY good, no cutting to fit needed at all!
    Drivers side is bolted in, pass side still needs to be mounted to the seat rails.
    Its gettin there.

boostaholic

I have a pair of black mark cross full power leather front seats for an 86 if you are interested. They are in decent shape. better than most. looking good. I considered buying this car before you did. Dlad someone is doing something with it.

Actually i found a quarter size rust hole in the rear pass floor pan. when i was cleaning the floor before the carpet install i noticed a crack and doing the 'softness' test i pushed a hole in the floor with my thumb.. and the spare tire well is almost totally gone. but i will take care of that stuff over the winter..

just got the turbo this morning so on to that project..

Quote Originally Posted by WickedShelby88 View Post
    This car is super solid and looks like its coming along nicely!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkapollo View Post
    Actually i found a quarter size rust hole in the rear pass floor pan. when i was cleaning the floor before the carpet install i noticed a crack and doing the 'softness' test i pushed a hole in the floor with my thumb.. and the spare tire well is almost totally gone. but i will take care of that stuff over the winter..

just got the turbo this morning so on to that project..
    I guess there are different levels of 'super solid' .... kudos to Darkapollo for saving it

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Compaired to some of the rust buckets ive had i would call it solid.
    BTW you cant just bolt up older style rails to new style seats.. dodge moved the mounts over about a half inch.

Your too funny. I guess you didn't look underneath it when I first got it. .
    I looked under it when it was at Skibbe's... I hate rust.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

am i missing something? i looked under it when i got it and it didnt look too bad. im finding little spots here and there but nothing that would condem the car......

Nope, you're seeing it right I was just commenting that Joe's perception and comment on it being "super solid" is a tad off...

and I'm not a body guy so I cringe at the smallest rust spot

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict

It must have rusted more when it sat and sat and sat some more at Mikes. When I took pics of it back in the summer of 07 basically all you had to do was either replace or eliminate the wheel well. Rule of thumb is there is no such thing as a rust free car unless proper care is taken to keep it that way or get rid of it.

This car is super solid and looks like its coming along nicely!
    It must have rusted more when it sat and sat and sat some more at Mikes. When I took pics of it back in the summer of 07 basically all you had to do was either replace or eliminate the wheel well. Rule of thumb is there is no such thing as a rust free car unless proper care is taken to keep it that way or get rid of it.
    Joe, do you see how your comments contradict each other?

I saw the car when Mike brought it home and also just before it was shipped, it was parked on concrete and its condition did not change one bit. I also think the car has a bunch of potential, I considered buying it myself.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Joe, do you see how your comments contradict each other?
    Yes I should have said it developed rust where it didn't have before, but at any rate like you said its a good car with great potential. Glad it went to a good home
    It did not develop rust where it had none before, it didnt change in Mikes driveway.

You still dont understand what I am saying... What is "solid" about "needs a spare tire well" ? Your perception of "solid" is skewed, that is all I am saying...

Agreed, definitely went to a good home

Yo, Darkapollo, LMK if you want me to clean up this thread for ya

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

lol, you guys sound like an old married couple

Congrats on the car, I love those early c/s's too! That'll be a cool car when you're finished.

turbo addict

Fixed. Here are a few pics of the underside and rest of car when I had it. Not too bad for a first gen considering most have gaping holes by this point in time. Those Mark Cross seats sound like a good deal. Those would look great in this car!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2034.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	354.1 KB 
ID:	14229   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2035.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	453.1 KB 
ID:	14230   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2033.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	329.0 KB 
ID:	14231   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2036.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	429.5 KB 
ID:	14232  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast