Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dynasty Engine Replacement

Mitsu booster

Lightbulb Dynasty Engine Replacement

I was recently graced with a 3.3l 92 Dodge Dynasty with 130,000 (suspected engine and tranny problems) after making a horrible decision with a Acura Tl. But as my luck would have it...... 30sec of travel at 70 MPH and a blown engine block. However, if i can do it cheap enough, I can drop a new engine and tranny. What I've been able to figure from this site and others on the internet is the Mits 3.0L v6 or the Dodge 3.8L V6 that was found more commonly in the Caravans.

I have the resources and time and a passion to do it myself. Was able to pull a junker F500 out of a JY and rebuilt it to a dependable work truk. My plan is to find a suitable engine (mated with a tranny that would work if at all possible) from a Pick yard and refurbish it. Or if reasonable, find a suitable rebuilt.

Firstly, anyone care to crush my dreams so far?

Second, Am I missing any better engines that will work in a Dynasty.
    *Edit* Mitsu 3.0L V6 DOHC (It was used primarily in Stealth and 3000GT)

Third, What would it take to put a alternate engine and transmission in?
    *Edit* I do understand i would have to use a different wire harness, motor mounts, tranny mounts.

Thanks for your time in advance. And I used search as best I could, if I've posts that cover this topic I'm sorry.
    Last edited by BodyMassage; 09-04-2010 at 03:24 AM.

turbo addict

Re: Dynasty Engine Replacement

well before you figure out what engine you would want, whats the car going to be used for? if its a daily driver the original equipment replaced I think would be best.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

3.8 ftw

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    well before you figure out what engine you would want, whats the car going to be used for? if its a daily driver the original equipment replaced I think would be best.
    Well lets just say I'm not going to have my license for a while very soon do to childish decision, so its more of project. I'm also hoping this will give my Farther and I something to do together that wont end in an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    3.8 ftw
    I've looked at it more. It appears that the best luck is going a be out of the Caravan. It seems like it orients in the bay right. Not shure about motor and transmission clearance/mounting... Definitely have to move fluids, battery, intake, etc... Dose anyone know of any write-ups about this that Ive missed?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I'd go with the 3.8, should bolt up to your current trans, then you need to figure out how to fuel it.

Should be fun but don't go too crazy or you'll never finish it.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I'd go with the 3.8, should bolt up to your current trans, then you need to figure out how to fuel it.

Should be fun but don't go too crazy or you'll never finish it.
    Figure out how to fuel it? Can you explain this better?

*Edit: I cannot find a single case of a well documented 3.3 to a 3.8. Maybe I'm not using the internet right..... Can anyone point me in a good direction?
    Last edited by BodyMassage; 09-04-2010 at 10:12 PM.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BodyMassage View Post
    Figure out how to fuel it? Can you explain this better?

*Edit: I cannot find a single case of a well documented 3.3 to a 3.8. Maybe I'm not using the internet right..... Can anyone point me in a good direction?
    That's most likely because no one has done it. Vigo is the engine swap master so he'd have a better idea of what's what.

Fueling, well the 3.8 will need more fuel than the 3.3 and the timing is most likely different, as well as a bunch of small things, and depending on what year etc, the computers simply won't swap.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    That's most likely because no one has done it. Vigo is the engine swap master so he'd have a better idea of what's what.

Fueling, well the 3.8 will need more fuel than the 3.3 and the timing is most likely different, as well as a bunch of small things, and depending on what year etc, the computers simply won't swap.
    Ah, good point.... Well wouldn't replacing the fuel pump solve that? The engine will already have the larger rails, injectors, etc..... So the only problem I could for see is just not having a big enough pump.

As for the ECU. You cant swap out the Dynasty's with the donor vehicles ECU and wire harness?

Again thanks for everyone's time in advance. Yall have been great help so far!

pump should be the same, the ECU would control how much fuel it gets. Duno if injector sizes change

If your gonna swap harnesses, that wold work. Just be sure the connector at the firewall is the same. or get a wiring diagram and make them match using your old harness
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    pump should be the same, the ECU would control how much fuel it gets. Duno if injector sizes change

If your gonna swap harnesses, that wold work. Just be sure the connector at the firewall is the same. or get a wiring diagram and make them match using your old harness
    Good reminder on the harness and it's connectors. Would a shop manual show me the pin-out of the connectors?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Yes a fsm would show everything. Dont waste a dime on an aftermarket book either. Get a OE (chrysler) service manual.

turbo addict

Simplest swap should in theory be 3.8 motor, SBEC and harness from a '92 New Yorker.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior222 View Post
    Simplest swap should in theory be 3.8 motor, SBEC and harness from a '92 New Yorker.
    What RoadWarrior said. The short wheelbase New Yorker was a Dynasty with Chrysler trim. The longer New Yorker Fifth Avenue would come with 3.3 or 3.8 and the Imperial always had the 3.8. There were some premium package Dynasty's that had the 3.8 as an option.

This will be a very straight forward swap.

See the Daytona 3.8 swap thread for a lot of good info about which 3.8 to grab.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=51873

turbo addict

I thought there were some Dynasties actually came with them, but didn't see it listed in any of the refs I looked up quick, so didn't wanna sound stupid.

I wouldn't worry about sounding stupid.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=11

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

No dynastys came with the 3.8. 1991-93 imperials and fifth avenues were able to get it (optional) and they are pretty much the same car with more rear legroom and different fascias.

The 3.3 to 3.8 swap is dead simple because the motors are externally IDENTICAL. That means you change... NOTHING. Honestly, i would even say dont bother changing the computer OR the fuel injectors until you know it isnt going to work, because chances are good it will work fine. The 3.8 doesnt make much, if any more peak power than the 3.3 and im pretty sure they use the same injectors. If you find a same-year donor for the computer i would grab that and swap it in but as far as the harness you dont have to mess with it at all as long as you get a motor from the same era.

I love my dynasty. I dont plan on ever getting rid of it, and that's is after owning several of the more popular body styles of the k-cars. It's still my favorite overall package.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

That 92 Imperial I found is starting to look like a nice parts car....lol.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Mitsu booster

Hey guys! Thanks for the continued help with all this. Hope everyone had a good Labor Day!

Quote Originally Posted by ljbprrfmof View Post
    What RoadWarrior said. The short wheelbase New Yorker was a Dynasty with Chrysler trim. The longer New Yorker Fifth Avenue would come with 3.3 or 3.8 and the Imperial always had the 3.8. There were some premium package Dynasty's that had the 3.8 as an option.

This will be a very straight forward swap.

See the Daytona 3.8 swap thread for a lot of good info about which 3.8 to grab.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=51873
    Yea I saw that before and thumbed through, I'll go back through and make sure to read it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    .............The 3.3 to 3.8 swap is dead simple because the motors are externally IDENTICAL. That means you change... NOTHING. Honestly, i would even say dont bother changing the computer OR the fuel injectors until you know it isnt going to work, because chances are good it will work fine. The 3.8 doesnt make much, if any more peak power than the 3.3 and im pretty sure they use the same injectors. If you find a same-year donor for the computer i would grab that and swap it in but as far as the harness you dont have to mess with it at all as long as you get a motor from the same era. .........
    Ok. So if I'm hearing you correctly......
    I should be looking for a 91 to 93 3.8 and a Comp from a same era Imperial or Fifth (if needed)? And if I can find those it should be pretty much plug and play?

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    That 92 Imperial I found is starting to look like a nice parts car....lol.
    Hey Bryan if you go back to check out that Imp give me a shout...there are some small interior pieces I'd like to ask you to grab. Also was wondering if it has the ATC setup (Automatic Temperature Control)?
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Ok. So if I'm hearing you correctly......
    I should be looking for a 91 to 93 3.8 and a Comp from a same era Imperial or Fifth (if needed)? And if I can find those it should be pretty much plug and play?
    That would be the easiest swap donor, but any 3.8 caravan 91-95 would be just as good as far as the motor. I wouldnt bother with the computer from a different year caravan however, since im not SURE it would work. All the cars/vans changed injector style and computers in 93 for example so i wouldnt put a 93 computer into a 91 or vice versa.. If you want to swap the computers (which i think may be unnecessary) i would ONLY use one from a 92 imperial or fifth avenue just for peace of mind reasons.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast