Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Block differences with pictures...

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Block differences with pictures...

I was moving crap around in the garage tonight (so that I have enough room to get to other crap) and, since they were in the way anyway, decided to pull out an example of each block and take pictures to document what the differences are in the bottom end structure.

Basically, the Tall deck and common block are the same on the bottom end - except that the CB has rod reliefs and the TD does not. This would only (possibly) be a problem if you were to run the thicker turbo rods in the tall deck - but why would you do that? Also, the TD has a mechanical fuel pump drive mount.

You can clearly see the increased thickness of the webbing from the early block to the tall deck, and the TD looks about the same as the CB.

First pic is early block, 2nd and 3rd are TD, 4th and 5th are CB...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	april 1 149.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	383.3 KB 
ID:	13783   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	april 1 153.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	437.0 KB 
ID:	13784   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	april 1 154.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	460.0 KB 
ID:	13785   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	april 1 156.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	418.0 KB 
ID:	13786   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	april 1 157.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	415.7 KB 
ID:	13787  
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mcglsr2's Avatar

Re: Block differences with pictures...

thanks for the pics
    Scott
    87 Shelby CSX #581

The Car

turbo addict

just wish I could of found a timing belt that would fit a masi setup and a tall deck. mmm long rod 16v.

Garrett booster

Great pictures, but I'm not seeing a huge difference. My eyes are untrained though, so I'm probably not looking for the right things. If I'm to understand this right, you're saying that the first picture is from an ~'83-'87 block, second and third are "tall" meaning 2.5 (right?), and then the '89 and up common block in the last two pictures. What years, models are these blocks from?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mcglsr2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by neonsox View Post
    Great pictures, but I'm not seeing a huge difference. My eyes are untrained though, so I'm probably not looking for the right things. If I'm to understand this right, you're saying that the first picture is from an ~'83-'87 block, second and third are "tall" meaning 2.5 (right?), and then the '89 and up common block in the last two pictures. What years, models are these blocks from?
    so you have the journal bearings there for the crank, right? focus on the "supports" that the journal bearings sit on. look at the thickness of the TD/CB to that of the early block. there's a lot more material there.
    Last edited by mcglsr2; 04-02-2009 at 12:50 PM.
    Scott
    87 Shelby CSX #581

The Car

Yeah, that was the point. There had been some debate about the TD blocks - were they like the early block or like the CB? I think it's clear that the CB was a derivative of the TD. The TD should be just as strong as the CB.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Yeah, that was the point. There had been some debate about the TD blocks - were they like the early block or like the CB? I think it's clear that the CB was a derivative of the TD. The TD should be just as strong as the CB.
    Some would argue stronger. The TD blocks are definitely thicker in the sleeves, and the .470 deck makes for better rod ratio.
    Here is another pic of early and CB side by side.
    Todd

Name:	IMG_0177a.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	274.0 KB 
ID:	13807  

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Some would argue stronger. The TD blocks are definitely thicker in the sleeves, and the .470 deck makes for better rod ratio.
    Todd
    Ahh ok I see it now. Any pics of piston, rod, or crank differences? It looks as though they went back to the drawing board and actually made the design more expensive rather than trimming costs. Ah, the good old days...

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Todd
    TD are thicker? Really? Pics? I have 2 TD blocks that I'd like to have bored 0.06" over...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Looks like a TD would accept 4 bolts main caps as well with some machine work! I may definitely be getting a couple tall decks for a future project myself. There are a couple out in the local yard still complete from VC to oil pan. What kind of power are you running through one right now Rob?
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by WickedShelby88 View Post
    Looks like a TD would accept 4 bolts main caps as well with some machine work! I may definitely be getting a couple tall decks for a future project myself. There are a couple out in the local yard still complete from VC to oil pan. What kind of power are you running through one right now Rob?
    Zero. The 2 I have are for a future project. I want to build a 2.5 NA hybrid, or maybe a Lotus, or maybe a 287 8V or maybe even a Masi if I get rich before I finish. I'm not sure yet. I need 250hp NA. So, probably a hybrid as that's the cheapest way to go.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Sounds promising. From what I've read about early Chrysler development they were going to make an N/A with a 16V head capable of revving easily to 7500rpms in the long rod 2.5 variety. I plan on building a turbo version especially now that I have seen the tall deck block. I would probably end up using custom steel rods myself. Thank you for sharing those pictures as they probably need to in the KC. Definitely is an invaluable resource when we can share information such as this.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

turbo addict

The problem is finding a timing belt for the Masi and a tall deck.

Doesn't the Masi use regular square tooth 8V cam gears? If you switch them to round tooth, I bet you could find a timing belt that will work. There are many round tooth belts that people have used for the hybrids. The round tooth profile is more common for timing belts anyway.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Wouldn't be hard to make an adapter to offset the idler or tensioner either if that is an option.

turbo addict

TD are thicker? Really? Pics? I have 2 TD blocks that I'd like to have bored 0.06" over...
    I built a +.050 over 2.2 (2.3 now ha.ha) w/4 bolt main caps. Sonic testing said plenty of meat left. FWD book alludes to the fact they have thicker walls. Probably couldn't have done that on the other blocks. Bring those blocks in and have them sonic checked. that will tell you if you can go +.060.
    Todd

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by WickedShelby88 View Post
    Here is that +.050 TD. 4 bolt caps!
    Todd

Name:	todd 4 bolt TD.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	253.2 KB 
ID:	13823  

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    The problem is finding a timing belt for the Masi and a tall deck.
    One of the problems when looking for timing belts is that they are listed by part # as an application, unlike regular v-belts which you can look up by size. No such catalog listing that I am aware of. Lord knows I've looked. Never can seem to find a timing belt listing for a TD 16V Masi. Jay and myself both have mentioned building TD long rod Masi motors. Another issue putting them in an L-body is hood clearance. It's tight with a standard height deck. Adding another half inch isn't going to help matters. Might need to lower the motor in the engine bay a bit. That could throw axle geometry off.
    Todd

turbo addict

Doesn't the Masi use regular square tooth 8V cam gears? If you switch them to round tooth, I bet you could find a timing belt that will work. There are many round tooth belts that people have used for the hybrids. The round tooth profile is more common for timing belts anyway.
    Yeah Rob the Masi uses a special offset square tooth crank snout gear, and the timing pulleys are cut about .100 thinner on inboard side to clear the head casting. Probably could be done converting, but it would be a challenge finding a belt and would require modifications to all four pulleys.
    Besides we just got 25 sets of adj. Masi pulleys made.
    Todd

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Looks like a nice KC article in the making, great info guys

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast