Thread: New Willem Programmer

New Willem Programmer

Probably a dumb question, but will the new Willem progammer (PCB 5.0) work well for our cars (1987 specifically)? It looked like it would be an improvement over the PCB 4.5 but I wanted to ask to make sure.
    Thanks.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mcglsr2's Avatar

Re: New Willem Programmer

hey, found this a little late - i'm using this willem programmer:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=11

and i am very happy with it. hope that helps!

EDIT: actually, i don't think what i posted is a willem burner. however, it does work great.
    Last edited by mcglsr2; 07-24-2009 at 01:23 PM.
    Scott
    87 Shelby CSX #581

The Car

Thanks for the reply. Your programmer looks pretty nice and easy. If it's easier to use than the williem, than I'm in!

i'm not sure about easier to use then the willem, as i haven't used the willem. but i can tell you what i do to use it, which is essentially this:

i plug it into the computer via USB, fire up the program. wait for it to recognize the programmer. i put the chip in the socket, lock it in, then i select the chip i am using through the software - i have it marked as a favorite so i don't have to scroll through the selection list each time. as soon as i select it, that's it. i'm ready to open the .bin file and i can start burning. you can run a batch process which can do several steps for you, i have it erase the chip, make sure it's blank, write the new file, then verify a successful write. the whole process takes like 6 seconds. there are no dip switches or any of that nonsense to deal with, and the board is encased in that plastic shell so it's very durable and i don't have to worry about ruining the PCB if i take it with me in the car and stuff. i am very happy with it.

if you want, i can post a screen shot of the application so you can see what it looks like. it's very easy to use.

EDIT: oh, and this unit does cost more then the willem's i was looking at. but for me, the USB, the case, lack of dip switches and ease of use were all worth it to me. so it might depend on your budget. iirc, at the time i bought it, it was like $100. for me, though, it was well worth the extra cost over the willem.
    Scott
    87 Shelby CSX #581

The Car

Sounds great! I like simple since I'm new to tuning. I did see a slightly cheaper version of what u bought ($75) but it did not come with a case. The case sounds like a good idea.
    I would like to see a screen shot if u have time. Thanks!

sure thing. i'll grab a few when i get home today after work
    Scott
    87 Shelby CSX #581

The Car