Thread: Trans-brake for a 41TE?

boostaholic

Trans-brake for a 41TE?

Has anyone heard of anyone making a trans-brake for a 41TE? Or for any of the modern electronically controlled Chrysler transmissions for that matter?

I can't seem to find one. I'm kind of doubting anyone would make one for the 41TE, but maybe someone has made one for it's RWD cousin the 42LE, which shouldn't be too hard to adapt.

I already knew the TCM (or in my case the PCM, NGC1) controlled the transmission, but it looks like these transmissions do not use a valve body, instead, they use a solenoid pack. It seems like it should be a simple matter of applying the right voltage to activate the reverse solenoid while the car is in gear, then release it to go.

Any ideas?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Trans-brake for a 41TE?

Quote Originally Posted by SebringLX View Post
    Has anyone heard of anyone making a trans-brake for a 41TE? Or for any of the modern electronically controlled Chrysler transmissions for that matter?

I can't seem to find one. I'm kind of doubting anyone would make one for the 41TE, but maybe someone has made one for it's RWD cousin the 42LE, which shouldn't be too hard to adapt.

I already knew the TCM (or in my case the PCM, NGC1) controlled the transmission, but it looks like these transmissions do not use a valve body, instead, they use a solenoid pack. It seems like it should be a simple matter of applying the right voltage to activate the reverse solenoid while the car is in gear, then release it to go.

Any ideas?
    They have a full trans controller available for it from PCM.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    They have a full trans controller available for it from PCM.
    You mean PCS? I found that... I don't need a full trans controller though, I just need a trans brake. That trans controller is $750.

I guess I will contact the guy that built my transmission, he might be able to come up with something.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

41TE? Trans Brake? Whats in a name.... "trans - brake"

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Rampage16V's Avatar

2 reasons I can think of that would make this trans brake never happen. One the solenoid that operates rev (holding) is also used to lock up the torque converter used with a switching valve in the valve body and the rev clutch has only 2 discs which probably wouldn't hold the capacity that would be required to hold the car under boost. I've seen (and I'm not kidding) the rev clutch being fried from a lady stopping and backing up her minivan fast so she could get a good parking spot at a garage sale LMFAO!)

Dean Stillie
    87 Shelby Z 2.4 Turbo 9.06@146.05
    82 Rampage 2.4 Turbo 10.14@138.02

Hybrid booster

The only problem I can forsee would be the input clutch assemly where the Overdrive, Underdrive, and Reverse clutches reside. I don't think the Underdrive and Reverse clutches can be applied at the same time because it's physically impossible. Next time I have a 40/41/42 apart I will check and see.

Any other clutch used for a trans brake would have to open circuit the pressure switch when the trans brake was applied or else the little yellow submarine would turn on. If the pressure switch was not open circuit limp in mode would activate the same time the check engine light illuminates.

It's a great idea. If the pistons can physically apply both clutches at the same time, you would need an external solenoid just like any old Chrysler transmission. The shock load put on the planetaries when the brake is released is scary!

John

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage16V View Post
    2 reasons I can think of that would make this trans brake never happen. One the solenoid that operates rev (holding) is also used to lock up the torque converter used with a switching valve in the valve body and the rev clutch has only 2 discs which probably wouldn't hold the capacity that would be required to hold the car under boost. I've seen (and I'm not kidding) the rev clutch being fried from a lady stopping and backing up her minivan fast so she could get a good parking spot at a garage sale LMFAO!)
    The reverse clutch is hydraulic with no solenoid control. You are thinking of the Low/Revese clutch which is a holding clutch. It is on in 1st and reverse. The other clutch that makes 1st is the Underdrive clutch. The other clutch that makes Reverse is the Reverse clutch. You are correct in the fact the Low/Reverse solenoid does double duty as the Converter clutch solenoid when not being used to apply the Low/Reverse clutch.

Correct, the Reverse clutch is only two discs, and it is not a holding clutch. Perhaps a use of the 2/4 clutch which has a lot of friction material (and is a holding clutch) would make a great trans brake.

John

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Rampage16V's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glhs0426 View Post
    The reverse clutch is hydraulic with no solenoid control. You are thinking of the Low/Revese clutch which is a holding clutch. It is on in 1st and reverse. The other clutch that makes 1st is the Underdrive clutch. The other clutch that makes Reverse is the Reverse clutch. You are correct in the fact the Low/Reverse solenoid does double duty as the Converter clutch solenoid when not being used to apply the Low/Reverse clutch.

Correct, the Reverse clutch is only two discs, and it is not a holding clutch. Perhaps a use of the 2/4 clutch which has a lot of friction material (and is a holding clutch) would make a great trans brake.

John
    Thats what I was thinking applying the 2-4 clutch and the l/r clutch at the same time.( both holding) I haven't had one apart in a while something to check into.

Dean Stillie
    87 Shelby Z 2.4 Turbo 9.06@146.05
    82 Rampage 2.4 Turbo 10.14@138.02

boostaholic

Good discussion... this is a bit of a wish list item right now... don't have the spare cash to get it done, but very interested in the talk on how it may or may not be possible to do at all.