Thread: TB question - Size related.

Hybrid booster

TB question - Size related.

I was gathering up my T2 conversion parts that I cuurently have which includes a one piece intake w/ TB still attached. Late last year when I still owned a 3.0 Voyager I wanted to upgrade the TB to the larger TB, so I bought one off of Ebay. I believe it was one from a 88+ Town and Country (I will double check this tomorrow).
    Anyways, as I was boxing the T2 stuff up I noticed that the Ebay TB was larger than the one still on the intake. So, I lined them up and sure enough, it IS larger.

I want to use this larger one due to the fact that it is newer looking/in better condition that the intake TB.

Will I need to hone/bore out the intake to match this bigger TB or do they line up ok?

If I do need to hone/bore the intake, what effect will this have if this is the ONLY hone/bore job done on the whole car (IE: No other porting/honing work done - just the intake to TB).

Thanks,
    Paul

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: TB question - Size related.

You should port match the intake manifold to the size of the tb just to smooth out the flow a little bit, but, the gains from a larger TB on an unmodified one--piece is probably next to nill, simply because of the way the intake chokes down between the TB and the plenum.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

Maybe I'll just swap the AIS and TPS from the bigger one (if that's alright) since they are newer looking. I don't want to go messing with the airflow and all either - just a stock T2 conversion, if there ever is such a thing

turbo addict

boostaholic

I never drove mine with the stock TB on the car I ported the opening to match the TB then used one of those flap wheels on my air die grinder to open up the whole bend and the last time the intake was off I cleaning it up more back in the rear of the bend but all the port work on the intake was done with other mods at the same time so I couldnt say how much it worked and didnt work,even if you ened up staying with the stock 46mm port match it if there is any place in there that doesnt flow perfectly smooth chean it up it shouldnt hurt any.

Hybrid booster

Gus ran 12s with a stock throttle body......

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

That doesn't mean everybody else can. Gus was a genius.

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Lots have run 12's with stock 46mm tb's. As siad by Mike, it's not a restriction on a mostly stock car.
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Quote Originally Posted by 02Gcaravan
    Maybe I'll just swap the AIS and TPS from the bigger one (if that's alright) since they are newer looking. I don't want to go messing with the airflow and all either - just a stock T2 conversion, if there ever is such a thing

Make sure the TPS is from a turbo car, because if it is from a v-6 motor, it is designed to turn in the opposite direction, and it will not work right for you.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

The argument that it won't help at all on a near stock car is flawed in my opinion. Any changes made to either the intake and/or exhaust side is moving towards better VE (volumetric efficiency) making it easier for your engine to produce whatever power you want it to.

Gus' car with a larger TB and a better intake, etc could've ran what he did at probably 5-10 psi less boost. Then again, that's not exactly what he was going for I'd imagine.

Aaron Miller

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves
    The argument that it won't help at all on a near stock car is flawed in my opinion. Any changes made to either the intake and/or exhaust side is moving towards better VE (volumetric efficiency) making it easier for your engine to produce whatever power you want it to.

Gus' car with a larger TB and a better intake, etc could've ran what he did at probably 5-10 psi less boost. Then again, that's not exactly what he was going for I'd imagine.

Aaron Miller
    Ever seen inside a stock 1-piece intake manifold? Trust me, a throttle body isn't going to make much a difference.

Are there improvements that can be made OVER the stock intake system? Certainly. But that is not the question at hand. The question at hand is, would the bigger TB be an improvement on a stock 1 piece intake. The answer is that it is unlikely it will make power.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22
    Ever seen inside a stock 1-piece intake manifold? Trust me, a throttle body isn't going to make much a difference.

Are there improvements that can be made OVER the stock intake system? Certainly. But that is not the question at hand. The question at hand is, would the bigger TB be an improvement on a stock 1 piece intake. The answer is that it is unlikely it will make power.
    I digress- I skimmed and didn't think about the one piece factor. In reality if it elminates the restriction of the TB size first, then that is one less point of obstrubtion in the intake, therefor the neck down in the one piece now is being forced air instead of tryign to pull it from the small TB area..

Even then you're probably correct on a one piece not seeing much of anything... on a two piece though- I'll argue that one till I'm blue in the face. <----ha, get it! Alright, I'm going to stop drinking now for otnight.

Aaron Miller

Here's the problem. The elbow on the right is from a 3.3 intake with the 52 mm t.b. I adapted one to a late T1 intake, cant wait to try it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elbow low.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	874  
    later Dick Westerhof

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Good grief. How does the two piece compare in the neck?

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boost geek
    Here's the problem. The elbow on the right is from a 3.3 intake with the 52 mm t.b. I adapted one to a late T1 intake, cant wait to try it.

Nice work.

And Aaron... We are talking the TB here... 5-10 psi less boost... Son, put down that 12-pack of empties

The cars are all about bottlenecks. Even if you maxxed out the intake track, you have to find the next one (which would be the stock intercooler)
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor DBB mini's Avatar

I'm a CNC machinist so what I did was; used a tapered endmill, bolted the TB to the intake, indicated the TB bore, removed the TB & wound up with a perfectly port matched intake for the 52mm. I'm contemplating offering this service to others as well as the TB to intake bore was WAY off on alignment. Right now I'm covered up with building my mini but within a month she'll be done. Turned out great, I'll post pics if anyone wants to see it.

Hybrid booster

Well, general consensus is....stick with stock..No Problem.

But for those of us with a few more ponies... DDB Mini rocks!!!
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves

Aaron Miller
    No way in hell! Once you're measuring your boost at the intake, that's it. The only thing you would gain is a better response and a cooler charge. So sure, maybe 1-2psi less... I'd worry more about the exhaust side.