Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SoCal Dyno day-the La Carrera GLHS runs-finally.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor ForzaV12's Avatar

SoCal Dyno day-the La Carrera GLHS runs-finally.

Chris @ TU was finally able to twist Paul's arm(with a lot of help from the socal crew) and get him out here for a dyno day. Last time he was out here was in 2004!
    Unfortunately for me, I had completely redone the infamous La Carrera, Sublime GLHS-new 2.2 with IMSA crank, rods, custom lc pistons, cnc'd head, GT30R, TU header, 3" SV, fuel rail, 3" side exhaust,568 w/quaffe, custom axles,etc.
    It has always had a "baseline" cal in it and would never really run properly, so it basically sat in the hanger except for the occasional run up and down the tarmac to keep things fresh.
    I arrived early Saturday for the dyno session. My car was on the dyno for three hours and probably made 20+ runs. Paul(and Steve-the dyno owner) kept working the fuel curves, gradually built up boost,etc,etc and finally had a cal to test.
    Just for some background, I wasn't looking for huge HP numbers. While this combo should easily hit 400hp, it makes no sense as traction is limited for road course action. My primary concern was reliable power and quick spool for road race use. So, my boost levels were about 21-23lbs, combined with a bulletproof bottom end and low compression it will(hopefully) run for many track hours on crappy pump gas.
    Even at those low boost levels we still obtained about 300HP at the wheel. When we first took it out for a test run, the drivability was great but as soon as you got into boost it would go pig rich and stumble badly. Back to Paul-he expected this and reflashed the cal for the partial boost mapping. Back out for a drive. Bottom line-this car is now fast-figure 360 CHP and a sub 2K weight! Pulls out of corners hard, spins sticky road race rubber in third easily and just wants to run.

We are really looking forward to the Team Shelby Bash in Vegas and look to have a little something for the Fords. Our little essentially stock Terlingua GLHS ran well last year, this should be an entirely new ball game.
    If Alan gets the red monster back together, between him, I, Todge and John L. we should be zinging around the big V-8s like killer bees.

Once more, thanks to Paul who kept patiently plugging away for hours at everyone's cals even when there were some stressful events. I haven't heard from John L(two Omni cals) or Ed(reflash on the Daytona) to see how their results turned out, but I know that myself, Todge, Jeff(89 CSX) and the van all had great results.

Here are a few pics. Coincidentally, there was a collector in three or four of the industrial buildings next to the dyno shop. They were running quite the variety of cool iron in and out of there all day long. 409 Impalas, Lambos, Six pack Roadrunner, Superstock Mopars, Caddys, VW microbus, 427 Corvettes, etc. Pretty cool.

Last edited by ForzaV12; 12-06-2009 at 08:27 PM.
    87 GLHS ,66 Hemi Coronet, 69 Road Runner, 70 Challenger-"Vanishing Point", 68 Road Runner "Petty",69 ZL1 Corvette,2016 Scat Pack Challenger,67 Corvette vintage racer,Cadillac ATS Turbo, 66 GTO road racer,67 911S, Ford V Ferrari Porsche 906 and Ferrari P3

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: SoCal Dyno day-the La Carrera GLHS runs-finally.

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaV12 View Post
    we should be zinging around the big V-8s like killer bees.
    Would love to see that happen! Should make for interesting conversation at the event.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Congrats on the good results! 300+whp in a <2000lb omni sounds like silly fun.

Also glad for the big pictures of the van.. im considering a similar color for my spirit so it gives me something to state at and ponder..

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Nice build, sounds like you have a monster on your hands What intercooler are you running? If front mount do you have any pics? So this is the cal from turbo's unleashed? Did it really take 20 dyno pulls to tune it? Being from the east coast, I won't have the luxury of tuning in person

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

That's very cool and yeah, it can take 20+ runs to get a cal dialed in.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by CoolV300C View Post
    Would love to see that happen! Should make for interesting conversation at the event.
    That's what we are hoping-the Hero in car video should provide some entertaining footage.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Congrats on the good results! 300+whp in a <2000lb omni sounds like silly fun.

Also glad for the big pictures of the van.. im considering a similar color for my spirit so it gives me something to state at and ponder..
    There was an original 70s Mopar paint code that was close-with a bit more impact-might be cool on the Shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    Nice build, sounds like you have a monster on your hands What intercooler are you running? If front mount do you have any pics? So this is the cal from turbo's unleashed? Did it really take 20 dyno pulls to tune it? Being from the east coast, I won't have the luxury of tuning in person
    IC is an ancient Sparco(it remained cool to the touch throughout the dyno sessions. The cal is a TU/Paul set-up. Yes, it really took that many pulls. Paul didn't take more than a 10 minute break for the 10 hours we were there. Super stressfull for the programmer-understandable that he doesn't want to do it very often. Although, I'm already hoping for another session for the black car!

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    That's very cool and yeah, it can take 20+ runs to get a cal dialed in.
    Thanks, I was surprised that it took that many pulls. I'm old school and remember changing jets, power valves and timing on my musclecars. Usually was good to go after a half dozen pulls!
    87 GLHS ,66 Hemi Coronet, 69 Road Runner, 70 Challenger-"Vanishing Point", 68 Road Runner "Petty",69 ZL1 Corvette,2016 Scat Pack Challenger,67 Corvette vintage racer,Cadillac ATS Turbo, 66 GTO road racer,67 911S, Ford V Ferrari Porsche 906 and Ferrari P3

Garrett booster

I had a lot of fun although it made for a long day. Very impressed with Steve's car. I was hoping to get a bit over 200 whp. Just have to figure out what I did wrong. Would having the tall tires make a difference in numbers? Everyone else there had short tires on their Omni's.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Post up your dyno graphs!!! lets see the hp/torque numbers and a/f's too!

What kind of dyno was used? did it have an eddy current brake feature? sounds like it was an inertia style dyno if you had to road test for partial throttle.

Steve,
    with that imsa crank, what kind of rpms does it pull up to?
    so if I understood correctly, you made 300 whp and 360 crank horse power (chp?)

So is Paul the TU "calibration technician"? was he using D-cal? what happened to the new fangled tuning software stuff that was presented at SDAC by Ken? or was that what Paul was using to do all your tunes?

sounds like you guys had fun!
    later,
    Cindy
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Would having the tall tires make a difference in numbers? Everyone else there had short tires on their Omni's.
    The difference would be pretty minor. What are the mods on your van? Is it posted in another thread somewhere? Nice paint color btw

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

I don't have a way to post the dyno sheet. I hope maybe to fax it to someone and they could post it!?! Plus, I didn't want to hijack Steve's thread, but I will. Stock 2.5l bottom end, Super 70 w/quickspool and .63 stage 1, ported head with +1s (self ported, that's probably the problem), 2-piece with 52mm tb, ported stock exhaust manifold, 2-1/2" exhaust with no cat. 3 Ford Supercoupe ICs welded together. Paul said the IC probably wa working very well as he'd never seen a 2.5l that wanted more fuel on the top end. I guess it really wanted more fuel and timing from what I gather. Oh, this was at 18 psi. Didn't run it any higher. 196hp and 242 ft/lbs

Those cars are a work of art! Congrats on the new tune
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by DocFish View Post
    I don't have a way to post the dyno sheet. I hope maybe to fax it to someone and they could post it!?! Plus, I didn't want to hijack Steve's thread, but I will. Stock 2.5l bottom end, Super 70 w/quickspool and .63 stage 1, ported head with +1s (self ported, that's probably the problem), 2-piece with 52mm tb, ported stock exhaust manifold, 2-1/2" exhaust with no cat. 3 Ford Supercoupe ICs welded together. Paul said the IC probably wa working very well as he'd never seen a 2.5l that wanted more fuel on the top end. I guess it really wanted more fuel and timing from what I gather. Oh, this was at 18 psi. Didn't run it any higher. 196hp and 242 ft/lbs
    what size injectors?
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Garrett booster

+40s..

really? yea....seems something is wrong, 196 whp with a big turbo, IC, ported head and you should have MORE than enough fuel with the +40's... well I hope you get it all worked out, that van is pretty cool looking! Vigo!! hurry up and get you van painted and do Mason's while you are at it!!!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

I made a quick post in Lynn's thread, http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44717, but I'm pleased to elaborate here.

I had two cars there - stock 86 GLHS and 85 GLHT converted to T2; the GLHS' first pull was 185 HP and finished with 195hp @ 16 pounds while the GLHT first pulled/flashed 248 HP at 23 pounds but finished with 228hp @ 18 pounds.

Both cars were dyno'd on Chevron 91 octane.

The '85 GLHT, has a junk yard 2.5 longblock with T2 stuff bolted onto it - TU's cast exhaust manifold, hybrid, ported 2 piece IM and FMIC. I think we went backwards but in a good way; first pull (I saw it but - no print out to confirm) was 248HP at 23 pounds but detonation on all 4, we turned the boost down and then Paul marched it back up until knock commenced at 18 pounds on cylinder #1 only and he couldn't take it any further - looking at cast pistons. I suspect that a weak injector on #1 is what stopped us.

As for the 86 GLHS, I soldered the 3 BAR weatherpack connector to Paul's socketed '86 LM board so the map sensor can stay under the kick panel. It is not an '87 CSX cal which is a tad faster but would require swapping a couple of pins; this way, I can stick a stock 2 BAR 86 Shelby cal back in it at any time without needing to change back the pinouts. The car has +20s and 2.5" SV/downpipe/cat. Other than that all stock. Same issue, Paul couldn't push the boost higher in the face of crummy gas and the risk of cast pistons. Fine with me. I appreciate his conservatism.

Both tunes are safely rich. Leaves room for me to . . . . .

Driveability of both cars is much improved.

Lastly, I thought I smelt race gas during the course of the day. I brought 5 gallons of unleaded 100 but we ran out of time so I did not get to play with it. I wasn't happy with how I was deprived of that opportunity . . . .
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Garrett booster

John, I didn't realize both Omnis were yours! Do you road race both, or just one of them? Hope to see you guys in January.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Cool story and pics! I love your Slime Green GLHS Forza!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

John, I didn't realize both Omnis were yours! Do you road race both, or just one of them? Hope to see you guys in January.
    I have never raced either one of them but both cars have done track days.

This January will be the third time that the GLHS has done the two day Shelby Bash track days. She has also done track days with the GT40s at Willow big track and and Streets.

The GLHT has done track days at the big track only. Last month Alan tried to get me out to a track day at Fontana . . .

The Ramerati did a track day with the SoCal Mopar Spring Fling at Willows big track too. That was fun, the trucklet flyin around with a bunch of growling screaming V8 Mopars.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

I had a lot of fun although it made for a long day. Very impressed with Steve's car. I was hoping to get a bit over 200 whp. Just have to figure out what I did wrong. Would having the tall tires make a difference in numbers? Everyone else there had short tires on their Omni's.
    Thanks. How'd the van run on the way home?

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    Post up your dyno graphs!!! lets see the hp/torque numbers and a/f's too!

What kind of dyno was used? did it have an eddy current brake feature? sounds like it was an inertia style dyno if you had to road test for partial throttle.

Steve,
    with that imsa crank, what kind of rpms does it pull up to?
    so if I understood correctly, you made 300 whp and 360 crank horse power (chp?)

So is Paul the TU "calibration technician"? was he using D-cal? what happened to the new fangled tuning software stuff that was presented at SDAC by Ken? or was that what Paul was using to do all your tunes?

sounds like you guys had fun!
    later,
    Cindy
    It did'nt even occur to me to get the graphs-I was so excited after the final test drive that I forgot all about them. Long day, as I picked up the car at the hanger at 6am and didn't leave the dyno until after 6pm! I don't have a clue what dyno it was-you could check the dyno website. Car pulls hard to 6500 rpm with no let-up in power. It should be safe beyond that with the custom pistons(lowered c.r. and other goodies), IMSA crank, etc. As I mentioned earlier, I wasn't looking for big power numbers(numbers you mentioned were what we saw) as they are really pretty worthless for my application(and without drag slicks).
    I don't know what software Paul was using, but he was busting his behind to get the tunes correct. We were able to watch my A-pillar mounted Innovate wideband during my runs-interesting stuff!
    You and James coming to Vegas?

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    Those cars are a work of art! Congrats on the new tune
    Thanks-very excited and I have quite a few tricks planned for the car(both cosmetic and functional) that I plan to get going ASAP. I just wasn't too motivated when the car had tuning issues.

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    I made a quick post in Lynn's thread, http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44717, but I'm pleased to elaborate here.

I had two cars there - stock 86 GLHS and 85 GLHT converted to T2; the GLHS' first pull was 185 HP and finished with 195hp @ 16 pounds while the GLHT first pulled/flashed 248 HP at 23 pounds but finished with 228hp @ 18 pounds.

Both cars were dyno'd on Chevron 91 octane.

The '85 GLHT, has a junk yard 2.5 longblock with T2 stuff bolted onto it - TU's cast exhaust manifold, hybrid, ported 2 piece IM and FMIC. I think we went backwards but in a good way; first pull (I saw it but - no print out to confirm) was 248HP at 23 pounds but detonation on all 4, we turned the boost down and then Paul marched it back up until knock commenced at 18 pounds on cylinder #1 only and he couldn't take it any further - looking at cast pistons. I suspect that a weak injector on #1 is what stopped us.

As for the 86 GLHS, I soldered the 3 BAR weatherpack connector to Paul's socketed '86 LM board so the map sensor can stay under the kick panel. It is not an '87 CSX cal which is a tad faster but would require swapping a couple of pins; this way, I can stick a stock 2 BAR 86 Shelby cal back in it at any time without needing to change back the pinouts. The car has +20s and 2.5" SV/downpipe/cat. Other than that all stock. Same issue, Paul couldn't push the boost higher in the face of crummy gas and the risk of cast pistons. Fine with me. I appreciate his conservatism.

Both tunes are safely rich. Leaves room for me to . . . . .

Driveability of both cars is much improved.

Lastly, I thought I smelt race gas during the course of the day. I brought 5 gallons of unleaded 100 but we ran out of time so I did not get to play with it. I wasn't happy with how I was deprived of that opportunity . . . .
    Good numbers and if last year was any indication, we know you'll be turning up the boost!

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Cool story and pics! I love your Slime Green GLHS Forza!
    Thanks! Wait until you see what I have planned for it.

turbo addict

somethings wacky, my 2.5 made 198/280 at 12lbs with the 2 piece, cummins i/c, stock head, ported exhaust, +40's and 3" exhaust.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast