Thread: Turbo Selection

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Turbo Selection

I am currently running stock mitsu on a 2.5l in my auto SL. I decided on the mitsu over stock Garrett because I wanted the quicker spool with the heavier automatic. The turbo has been exactly what I expected and I have been very pleased with it on my DD. However, I am converting to a 555 this summer and would like a bigger turbo than the 12G that I am running now. I have a nearly new Turbonetics 50-trim stage II with .63 AR housing but I am concerned that it is to big (spools too late) for a DD. I want something that spools more quickly and was considering either a 16G or something like a Garrett GT2860R. I do have a ported 782 with +1mm back-cut exhaust valves, a full 2.5" exhaust, 52mm TB, ported 2-pc, ported stock exhaust manifold, and Taft S2 cam that will be installed with the tranny & turbo swap. I am currently running +20s, with ported manifolds, 2.5 exhaust on 15psi. I am still considering whether or not to go to 3 bar at 18psi or stay with 2bar at 15. I would like to know if anyone has run either of these turbos (16G or DBB)and if so what modifications need to be made to install them? Thanks for the input. David
    Last edited by xdig; 03-08-2009 at 02:19 AM.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Turbo Selection

The 50 trim is a wicked turbo but won't make power until around 14-15 psi. When it does, hold on. You should have full spool around 3800, which for a DD, will be just fine, saves you from ripping the tires loose from every stoplight.

Go 3 bar, then your safe and never have to upgrade again, plus if you want, and when you got bored, which you will, you can simply turn up the boost and not worry.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Simon, thanks for the input. Will the 2.5" exhaust be enough for that set-up? I have no plans to race the car and so drivability is my primary concern.

2.5" will be just fine,

As for installing it, missed that part, if its a dodge flange, then you need a garrett SV to work with the stock exhaust or make something custom. You will need a couple of 90 deg elbows for the comp outlet to clear the head and some tweaking of lines, braided kits are a better option.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

I also have a 40 trim stageII .48ar turbo for sale that would give you good spool up and handle a little more power than a S60 turbo.

-Rich

The 50-trim that I have has a chrysler flange. It is the one that Cindy sells with S60 housing and so should fit without modification. Thanks again for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by xdig View Post
    The 50-trim that I have has a chrysler flange. It is the one that Cindy sells with S60 housing and so should fit without modification. Thanks again for the input.
    Very nice, is it a hybrid or a T3 turbo?

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Very nice, is it a hybrid or a T3 turbo?
    It is a t3/t4 hybrid. The turbo has 500 miles on it but I am concerned that it won't be as responsive as I would like for my DD. The SL is a heavy car and I won't be racing it so I don't really need the top end. My son is running a 46-trim/.48 hybrid on his 89 CSX and he is very happy with it. I think that am going to offer the 50-trim turbo for sale so that I can buy a smaller (40 or 46 trim/.48?). If I don't sell the 50, I will either run it on the SL or put it on the Rampage. I was hoping that someone on the forum had run either a 16G or smaller DBB turbo as I had heard that they are very responsive and might be perfect for my application but it looks as though I will be staying with t3/t4s. Thanks again for your input. I appreciate any and all recommendations.

turbo addict

Or you can put a .48 turbine housing on there.

It is a t3/t4 hybrid. The turbo has 500 miles on it but I am concerned that it won't be as responsive as I would like for my DD. The SL is a heavy car and I won't be racing it so I don't really need the top end. My son is running a 46-trim/.48 hybrid on his 89 CSX and he is very happy with it. I think that am going to offer the 50-trim turbo for sale so that I can buy a smaller (40 or 46 trim/.48?). If I don't sell the 50, I will either run it on the SL or put it on the Rampage. I was hoping that someone on the forum had run either a 16G or smaller DBB turbo as I had heard that they are very responsive and might be perfect for my application but it looks as though I will be staying with t3/t4s. Thanks again for your input. I appreciate any and all recommendations.
    What stage turbine wheel?

A perfect street turbo is a 46 trim, T3/T4, stage 1 .63 turbine housing.

stage 2 and thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Or you can put a .48 turbine housing on there.
    What kind of difference would that make in spool and drivability? Thanks for the help.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

It will be a little less responsive than the same turbo with a true TO4E compressor housing, and you will give up a bit of power potential vs a true T3/t4 hybrid, but it should be ok on a 2.5 5-speed.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

What he said ^

Any Hybrid turbo using a T4 compressor wheel in a T3 housing will only increase outlet temperatures. We have customer-documented results showing as much as an 85 degree difference in temperatures. That's like comparing driving in the summer to the middle of the winter. In order to maximize efficiency it is always best to use the correct T4 compressor housing designed for the larger wheel.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

I would tend to disagree on paper but I also haven't tried it...

That is a pretty big mismatch between the turbine and compressor wheels...

Remember that both wheels are designed to run at a specific RPM in order to be efficient. The Stage I turbine will be inefficient at the lower RPMs that the T4 46 trim compressor wants to spin at.

-Rich

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post

That is a pretty big mismatch between the turbine and compressor wheels...

Remember that both wheels are designed to run at a specific RPM in order to be efficient. The Stage I turbine will be inefficient at the lower RPMs that the T4 46 trim compressor wants to spin at.

-Rich
    Shadow has run it and documented it, others have also run it and said its a wicked turbo,

Using the stage one gets the turbo spinning up faster taking advantage of the T4 compressor wheel and housing. If I ever built up a street car using an 8 valve engine, I'd put that turbo on.

Shadow has run it and documented it, others have also run it and said its a wicked turbo,

Using the stage one gets the turbo spinning up faster taking advantage of the T4 compressor wheel and housing. If I ever built up a street car using an 8 valve engine, I'd put that turbo on.
    Sometimes close enough is ok for the real world.

Peak power will be limited by the lack of efficiency in the wheels on this setup but it probably doesn't matter on the street.

-Rich

Sometimes close enough is ok for the real world.

Peak power will be limited by the lack of efficiency in the wheels on this setup but it probably doesn't matter on the street.

-Rich
    Exactly, its good for 350 whp so thats not bad at all,

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

-Rich
    Trying to figure your build on paper is kind of like a box of chocolates.........

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!