Thread: 2.4 Swap mock up has begun!

Hybrid booster

2.4 Swap mock up has begun!

Got tired of trippin over the motor and trans on the floor, so im gonna store it in the Charger. Maybe use it to mock up the mounts to put a 2.4 in my red omni. Then swap the 8 valve from omni into the Charger w 5 spd for street duty. Dunno really what final plans are. Turbo is def not gonna be used among a couple other things. Was thinkin of goin w/oak for pass mount,lol

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: 2.4 Swap mock up has begun!

Nice intake,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Very cool. What are you using for motor mounts!?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

yeah the intake leaks abit,lol. Its not my material,so its prob gonna end up diff style. Jus wanted size up the area. Next trip to dallas,im gonna pick up a Caravan intake i beleive in storage. So far have stock trans mount and the block of wood under the later model mount on pass side. Looks like i could use piece of 1.5x3in rectangular metal under mount w/sleeve through tube to keep bolts from crushing it. Honestly i jus hoisted it in there and it fell into position and the wood was jus sittin on floor ready to go. Lookin at puttin the lower torque strut arm from SRT on lower pass side too for twist motion instead of connecting to rad support. maybe give rad support area some relief from motor torquing.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEBALL View Post
    yeah the intake leaks abit,lol. Its not my material,so its prob gonna end up diff style. Jus wanted size up the area. Next trip to dallas,im gonna pick up a Caravan intake i beleive in storage. So far have stock trans mount and the block of wood under the later model mount on pass side. Looks like i could use piece of 1.5x3in rectangular metal under mount w/sleeve through tube to keep bolts from crushing it. Honestly i jus hoisted it in there and it fell into position and the wood was jus sittin on floor ready to go. Lookin at puttin the lower torque strut arm from SRT on lower pass side too for twist motion instead of connecting to rad support. maybe give rad support area some relief from motor torquing.
    Thanks for the info! FYI, I have a support on my Horizon that ties the front motor mount to the Kframe.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Austrian Dodge's Avatar

next one! 2.4 FTW!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Thanks for the info! FYI, I have a support on my Horizon that ties the front motor mount to the Kframe.
    pic please

Quote Originally Posted by t3rse View Post
    pic please
    I'll try to get you a pick tonight if it's still light out when I get home from work. But I will try to describe it as best I can.
    I have brackets welded to the front of my K frame and the underside of the rad support side of the front motor mount bracketry, and a motor plate that bolts to the two lower bolts of the engine/trans mating area in place of the trans dust sheild. These are all tied together with a 1x3" rectangular steel tube.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

turbo addict

I'll try to get you a pick tonight if it's still light out when I get home from work. But I will try to describe it as best I can.
    I have brackets welded to the front of my K frame and the underside of the rad support side of the front motor mount bracketry, and a motor plate that bolts to the two lower bolts of the engine/trans mating area in place of the trans dust sheild. These are all tied together with a 1x3" rectangular steel tube.
    sounds like a pretty simple but good idea...looking forward to pics whenever you get a chance

Hybrid booster

Holy cow post that up. Sounds similar to mount setup in a mitsu based car like an eclipse in my brain. That jus mite be another option to look into! Post em up!

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

My 1992 Nissan Maxima had a nice steel piece from the K-member to the rad support..I think it had a motor/tranny mount attached to it also. Always thought my TD could use the same design.

Sorry, all. I completely forgot about these pictures. I will definitely post them this weekend.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

Car looks good so far
    You need a woody wagon if your going to use the oak mounts
    that would flip people out

I did something similar to Mike's but only to the rear (no rad. support anymore)
    with setup you need solid motor mounts because the motor tries to lift itself out of the engine pivoting on the side mounts without a front mount

you would be suprised at how much that little dust shield bolt does to help too
    If I take the trans. out I'd like to have a bigger insert welded there

I like Mike's setup if I didn't hack my whole car up
    10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09
    TFB Fabrications custom billet machined parts for you Turbo Mopar

Looks good kev have fun with it.

Sorry it took me so long. Also sorry the pictures are terrible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0034.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	272.4 KB 
ID:	14160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0036.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	244.9 KB 
ID:	14161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0032.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	246.5 KB 
ID:	14162  
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEBALL View Post
    Do budgie cords make good strut tower braces?
    Shelby Lancer # 149... R.I.P.

turbo addict

thanks Mike

Hybrid booster

Well I ended up changin mount style using early dr mount in original spot. Got the template drawn up ready to cut n weld. Unfortunately job hunt will put it on backburner. O wellz,looked nice sittin in there for the time being.
    Bungie cords were for positioning motor in square. Like what the fence guys do . Im liking the center mount pics Mike. Somethin to ponder about for awhile

how is your swap coming?

need an update darnit!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
    how is your swap coming?

need an update darnit!
    Unfortunately had to bail on project for awhile. Started spendin the time/money on the Omni since was closer to run and race. Prob gonna start buildin the 2.4 up in the meantime w parts i have already