Thread: compressing coil springs?

turbo addict

compressing coil springs?

Where I used to work we had a nice wall mounted tool with a 3 handle knob on the top that just forced down like a screw jack to compress springs on struts, but now I don't have that luxury so I was curious what do you guys use for a strut spring compressor who do-it-yourself? I have those cheapy autozone type compressors, but had no luck whatsoever as the springs for my van are pretty stout for what they are. Any suggestions? I really don't want to have to pay someone to do this every time I need struts swapped.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: compressing coil springs?

I use the Lisle tool with u bolts that capture the spring coils. It takes a little more time to do each one, but I have seen the ones with the cheap cast hooks crack.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I have cheapo ones from Harbor Freight, probably look just like the AutoZone rentals and work fine.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I find those outside clamp types are really hard to use due to the length of the spring but if you can get it so you can take off the strut bearing, your fine. If you have to compress a new spring, forget it.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Joe, if the 2 of us get really anxiety ridden, the 2 of us should be able to squeeze them down with our bare hands!!!!
    J/K.....Best thing you can do with the threaded ones is to put a light coat of bearing grease on the threads. Makes them much easier to turn. DO not use anti sieze.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

I rent the ones from advance....probably the same as the autozone ones, and i think i saw the same ones at harbor freight. they are OK to use on stock spring, just takes forever to clamp them down....air tools REALLY help.. Ive done this with stock springs and Eibach springs.
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I use the cheap harbor freight ones.

The trick for strut replacement and reusing the springs is to put them on in the car if you can. Put a jack under the control arm and jack it up and compress the spring while its all still in the car, even get someone to bounce the car and hook the hooks on when its on the downstroke. Kind of a cheesy, annoying trick but it helps a bit.

Also, if you cant quite compress it enough to get the strut through the top and get the nut on it, ive hung the upper mount up in the strut tower, bolted the strut to the spindle, and jacked the control arm up with the jack to get the top to poke through and put a nut on it.

Ive also done ridiculous things with a come-along winch too..

All sorts of stupidity. Good luck!

The thing ive found most annoying about that type of spring compressor is that the hooks are usually angled for a 4 or 5" diameter spring and dont fit our front springs well.

turbo addict

you guys must be a bunch of big pussies if you can't get the harbor freight spring clamps to compress the spring enough to get the strut mount on. I do that ---- by myself with no one else around and I'm not the strongest guy in the shed by a long shot. The harbor frieght ones are the safest ones I've used. The single toe clamps with the little u bolts I've had slip on me and it's not fun when they do. The double toe one's from HF rock.

turbo addict

Sounds like I need something like the HB ones. The mickey mouse crappers from AZ would do nothing but slip when I tried to get the spring to compress enough to even think of loosening the nut on top of the strut mount. Sounds like the trick until I get a real strut spring compressor.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]