Thread: Question for those running no heater cores.

turbo addict

Question for those running no heater cores.

With the new setup, I will be bypassing my heater core, and running a oil cooled turbo. So I will no longer be running any coolant hoses besides the radiator hoses of course.

Has anyone had any negetive cooling effect by doing this? I know on some application they are designed on the heater core, and hoses to aid in some of the cooling.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Question for those running no heater cores.

I have had no cooling issues w/o the heater core in my Z, but then again i also have a huge Fluidyne radiator.

Also, the factory 2.2L/2.5L setup had the heater core bypassed when the A/C was set to "max" which is typically only used on the hottest days so it should be good w/o it from the factory.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Cool good to know. Getting rid of all those hoses should really clean up the engine bay as well. Also should make room for the hybrid turbo doing on.

What is the factory On-off radiator fan temp? Right now its wired to run when the key is on. The harness was all cut, and wiried that way when I got it. I may just leave it to run on the whole time.

i bypassed the heater core on my R/T and still have the stock TIII rad just no ic and never had it get warm ever, works just fine

turbo addict

I wouldn't do it. Your waterpump will just cavitate until the thermostat opens. It's trying to pump fluid with no place for it to go. That is precisely why the factory has a bypass. You will see wild temperature swings when the thermostat opens and closes. Been there and done that. Think that's good for the motor?

On the factory system with the heater core in it's bypassed stage, it still circulates between the waterbox outlet and the waterpump inlet. It just doesn't go through the heater core. The FSM shows this very clearly.

If I were you, I would run one line from the waterbox outlet (assuming 8V), to the inlet on the waterpump (assuming non-L-body).
    Todd

Not to mention if you ever get caught in the rain it's a real PIA to keep the windshield clear. Even worse when you're on bald drag radials. Been there

turbo addict

Loop the heater core lines