Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TM wheels on SRT4 and are PT and SRT4 brakes the same

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

TM wheels on SRT4 and are PT and SRT4 brakes the same

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalCSX View Post
    Gotcha, reason I ask is I've thought of using some TD wheels with drag radials or slicks.
    TD wheels won't clear the calipers. Cheapest solution is 15x6 steel PT cruiser rims. I just picked up a set of 4 off craigslist for $60.

Nice times Rob. What is your complete set up besides the drag radials, E1 turbo, returnline kit and Stage 2 injectors?

#########Edit############
    Please note that this thread has post moved from two different threads. To keep things cleaned up.

Thanks -DodgeZ

the post came from these threads
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31379
    and
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=34956
    ########################
    Last edited by DodgeZ; 03-14-2009 at 04:31 PM.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

Re: FM E1 turbo and drag radials 12.48@115.09

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    TD wheels won't clear the calipers.
    are you sure about that?
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeZ View Post
    are you sure about that?
    Yes. There is a long thread on SRTForums about what people are using for wheels for slicks. There is also a thread on that in this section.

TM wheels on SRT4 and are PT and SRT4 brakes the same

Quote Originally Posted by rich tideswell View Post
    Scott,

PT steelies will fit, no issues, ever. SRT-4's use PT brakes / knuckles/ control arms, so if someone was having rubbing issues, they effed up or have an effed up wheel.

I don't think that is a true statement.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

TD wheels won't clear the calipers. Cheapest solution is 15x6 steel PT cruiser rims. I just picked up a set of 4 off craigslist for $60.

Nice times Rob. What is your complete set up besides the drag radials, E1 turbo, returnline kit and Stage 2 injectors?
    if this is the neon SRT-4 we are talking about, i bolted a set of 6.5" shelby z crab wheels on a srt4 with my 22x8x15 mt et's at the track with zero clearance issues. maybe with full depth brake pads it might not fit but i had no problems at all.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by scottd View Post
    yes. There is a long thread on srtforums about what people are using for wheels for slicks. There is also a thread on that in this section.
    Quote Originally Posted by aries_turbo View Post
    if this is the neon srt-4 we are talking about, i bolted a set of 6.5" shelby z crab wheels on a srt4 with my 22x8x15 mt et's at the track with zero clearance issues. Maybe with full depth brake pads it might not fit but i had no problems at all.

Brian
    2022 Viper runs 9s

I have a set of 6.5 crabs laying around and will give this a try. Pat Culkin had an SRT-4 for a while and tried to fit the crab wheels on it and they didn't clear the calipers.

maybe it needs a small spacer with full height brake pads. all i know is i had them on a SRT-4 at the track.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

I talked to Pat earlier today and he said when he test fit his that his SRT-4 probably had approx 5000 miles on it and they did not fit.

Maybe they fit when the pads have quite a few miles on them. My SRT-4 has 14k on it so it will be interesting to see if the crab wheels fit.

are you sure about that?
    Yes, I'm sure about that.

As you can see from the pics I just took, 6.5 inch crab wheels DO NOT clear the calipers. My car has 14,600 miles on it.

The PT steel wheels do clear but are close.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SRTcrab1.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	13314   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SRTcrab2.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	13315   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SRTpt.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	13316   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SRTcaliper.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	13317  

see how much spacer you need for them to clear so we can clear this up. the guy i tried them on may have had a spacer. i dont know. it was a few years ago.

brian

I didn't measure for a spacer last night. My guess is the shape of the crab wheel would require a decent spacer and then longer studs. Why do all that when you can just bolt PT steelies on at the track and then put stock wheels back on with no issues?

Re: wheels for slicks

I verified that crab wheels do not fit and PT steelies do fit. See link below.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=20

Yes, I'm sure about that.

As you can see from the pics I just took, 6.5 inch crab wheels DO NOT clear the calipers. My car has 14,600 miles on it.

The PT steel wheels do clear but are close.
    they look like they clear to me.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

C'mon...do you think he's making this up? Look again...look about halfway down the edge of the opening in the wheel.

On my SRT when it was new, with fresh factory brake pads, 6.5" crab wheels definitely, 100% certain, wheel would not turn with lugs tightened, the inner edge near the wheel openings wedged into the outer portion of the caliper, wheel scratched the edge of the caliper while I was test fitting the wheel, did not fit.

Maybe there were variations in the wheel castings, but my guess is that with brake pads that are worn a bit, you gain enough clearance to put a 6.5" crab wheel on.

Either you're

a) kidding
    b) desperately need glasses/contacts or
    c) calling me a liar while making yourself look foolish in the process

I hope it is a or b ....

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    C'mon...do you think he's making this up? Look again...look about halfway down the edge of the opening in the wheel.

On my SRT when it was new, with fresh factory brake pads, 6.5" crab wheels definitely, 100% certain, wheel would not turn with lugs tightened, the inner edge near the wheel openings wedged into the outer portion of the caliper, wheel scratched the edge of the caliper while I was test fitting the wheel, did not fit.

Maybe there were variations in the wheel castings, but my guess is that with brake pads that are worn a bit, you gain enough clearance to put a 6.5" crab wheel on.
    I am not saying he is making it up. I think don't buy in to the whole statement of that NO TD wheel will fit over an SRT brake. Sorry. I need real proof before I buy in to it.

Either you're

a) kidding
    b) desperately need glasses/contacts or
    c) calling me a liar while making yourself look foolish in the process

I hope it is a or b ....
    Or d. your crappy cellphone pictures doesn't show me anything except that you didn't even tighten down the PT wheel you are claiming fits with no issue. It doesn't even look it was centered on the hub.

My problem is people making random statements. Like no TD wheel will fit on an SRT and all PT brakes are the same as SRTs.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Sorry. I need real proof before I buy in to it.

I'm not sure what proof you're looking for. The statement that Scott made was that 6.5" crabs didn't fit. They didn't fit my car. I believe you that they fit yours. Apparently, without worn brake pads, they don't. Agreed?

My problem is people who won't admit when they are wrong.

I don't know of a 15" inch TD wheel that would be a better candidate than a 6.5 crab wheel to clear that caliper. I know a pizza wheel won't clear Spirit R/T brakes unless the pads are worn, so I don't see how a pizza wheel would clear an SRT-4 caliper. If you know of a TD wheel that clears SRT-4 calipers then by all means share that information, but my guess is with quite a few TD guys running SRT-4s someone would've found a wheel that fit by now.

Until then I'm going to run the PT steelies (like many, many people on SRT-4 forums have done and which fit on my SRT-4 despite your ridiculous assertations to the contrary) and consider them the cheapest alternative.

I am not saying he is making it up. I think don't buy in to the whole statement of that NO TD wheel will fit over an SRT brake. Sorry. I need real proof before I buy in to it.

Or d. your crappy cellphone pictures doesn't show me anything except that you didn't even tighten down the PT wheel you are claiming fits with no issue. It doesn't even look it was centered on the hub.

My problem is people making random statements. Like no TD wheel will fit on an SRT and all PT brakes are the same as SRTs.

Re: wheels for slicks

are you sure about that?
    Yes. There is a long thread on SRTForums about what people are using for wheels for slicks. There is also a thread on that in this section.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    I'm not sure what proof you're looking for. The statement that Scott made was that 6.5" crabs didn't fit. They didn't fit my car. I believe you that they fit yours. Apparently, without worn brake pads, they don't. Agreed?
    So Pat, do they fit or do they not? "TD wheels won't clear the calipers." That was the statement in question......

My problem is people who won't admit when they are wrong.
    Yeah I know....
    I don't know of a 15" inch TD wheel that would be a better candidate than a 6.5 crab wheel to clear that caliper. I know a pizza wheel won't clear Spirit R/T brakes unless the pads are worn, so I don't see how a pizza wheel would clear an SRT-4 caliper. If you know of a TD wheel that clears SRT-4 calipers then by all means share that information, but my guess is with quite a few TD guys running SRT-4s someone would've found a wheel that fit by now.
    So now it is 15" TD wheels? So 16" TD wheels will fit now? My 15" pumpers clear spirit R/T with new pads. Sounds like you have been guessing...

Until then I'm going to run the PT steelies (like many, many people on SRT-4 forums have done and which fit on my SRT-4 despite your ridiculous assertations to the contrary) and consider them the cheapest alternative.
    That is good. My dad runs PTs on his SRT. PTs with DRs and VWs with slicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Keito View Post
    PT steel wheels will rub if you have new brake pads, I know.
    I bought a pair with drag radials when my car had 1200 miles on it and they rubbed.
    Today no problem.
    Pat should I believe that statement? Then tell everyone that PT wheels won't work?

Quote Originally Posted by rich tideswell View Post
    Scott,

PT steelies will fit, no issues, ever. SRT-4's use PT brakes / knuckles/ control arms, so if someone was having rubbing issues, they effed up or have an effed up wheel. The only thing bad about them is that around in my area, they want $75/ wheel from the junkyard, new ones aren't much more.
    Turbo and non turbo PTs have different part numbers on the brake calipers. At least that is what Advance Auto says. The SRT's have the red coating. I know it isn't much but the wheels are really close. A thick casting plus the coating could make the wheel not fit.

If it isn't nasty out I'll try some TD wheels on my Omni with PT brakes / SRT brakes. I was planning to stick my stock GLHS wheels on anyways.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast