Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any TURBO BUICK guys here or Gbody owners???

Mitsu booster

Any TURBO BUICK guys here or Gbody owners???

Just wondering whose here. What you guys think of a turbo dodge compared to a turbo buick car wise? DOn't mean all out performance, just reliability, parts availability, well and I guess-performance gains. BTW I own an 87 we4.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Any TURBO BUICK guys here or Gbody owners???

GN's are my favourite car of all time but for me, right now, a van is more practical.

Cost wise, they are both going to cost money but how much depends on goals. Both will get you into the 10's or even 9's. I prefer RWD.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by usetaboost View Post
    Just wondering whose here. What you guys think of a turbo dodge compared to a turbo buick car wise? DOn't mean all out performance, just reliability, parts availability, well and I guess-performance gains. BTW I own an 87 we4.
    Here we go...

Before I write a book for you, what and why are you comparing the two? While they are both turbo cars, there are quite a few differences and the "outcomes" of having both are miles apart. Is this ONLY for mods(speed), the possible investment aspect(long term value), turbo car on the "cheap"(for beating on), the aftermarket support(parts availability), knowledgeable and helpful fellow enthusiasts(help available), or just to turn heads(coolness factor)? Let me know and while I am biased, I will be brutally honest...
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

There is much more of an aftermarket for the GNs than the turbo mopars will ever see.

Stock parts are plentiful and cheap for the turbo mopars though, and are easily modified. Reliability... hard to say. Some people have so many problems with these cars... but they are usually the ones that are the most clueless about wrenching to begin with. I, myself... have had great luck with mine and I'm no Chrysler tech
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    There is much more of an aftermarket for the GNs than the turbo mopars will ever see.

Stock parts are plentiful and cheap for the turbo mopars though, and are easily modified. Reliability... hard to say. Some people have so many problems with these cars... but they are usually the ones that are the most clueless about wrenching to begin with. I, myself... have had great luck with mine and I'm no Chrysler tech
    Yeah, when they don't run, its hard for them to break down,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Yeah, when they don't run, its hard for them to break down,
    Too Too funny Simon.
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

FWIW: Turblowgayman is our resident homo.

BTW: they did run.... me took-eth themz apart azz.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Quote Originally Posted by bradp View Post
    Too Too funny Simon.
    LMAO, I couldn't resist,

Mitsu booster

reliability wise and parts availability basically. Man, I almost feel bad for mentioning I have a TR. It isn't like I own a mustang

I miss my gn, going from a gn to turbo dodge was a let down. In my opinion they are in different leagues. The buick club slogan going fast with class, has meaning. I'll be the first to say I got smoked by an omni with a huge muffler once. It may have been fast, but its still an ugly 4dr omni. I'm here because my gn needed alot of stuff and I ended up parting it out. I had just enough money to get a turbo dodge. lets face it they are cheap and cheap to go fast. my gn was getting exspensive because I wanted to go real fast with a rollbar and all, my body was getting rusty because of the t-tops leaking, the engine was about dead, the engine i was building I still needed parts for, and I had a low paying job, so here I am..... In a dam minivan hoping for low 12's. If you have a desent gn you can go pretty fast cheap, the turbo and intercooler was the most exspensive upgrade back then, unless you went to a stage 1 or 2 engine or got crazy wanting to run 8's. as i recall a few grand your running a low 12 second street car.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by usetaboost View Post
    reliability wise and parts availability basically. Man, I almost feel bad for mentioning I have a TR. It isn't like I own a mustang
    Why would you be shamed? Let me tell you something: these guys here are a great bunch of guys and while I give them an assload of grief about it, LOTS of them would willingly give up their TD for a real GN that is in equivalent condition. A turbo car with potential is always desireable.

It's a different class altogether here and the biggest divider between the two leagues is $$. The guys here are damm good guys and while I will always have my affination for the TR and it's 'glory', there is much to be said about this crew as they can make it fast on no bucks. Lots of information can be interchangeably used between the two platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanpilot View Post
    I miss my gn, going from a gn to turbo dodge was a let down. In my opinion they are in different leagues. The buick club slogan going fast with class, has meaning. I'll be the first to say I got smoked by an omni with a huge muffler once. It may have been fast, but its still an ugly 4dr omni. I'm here because my gn needed alot of stuff and I ended up parting it out. I had just enough money to get a turbo dodge. lets face it they are cheap and cheap to go fast. my gn was getting exspensive because I wanted to go real fast with a rollbar and all, my body was getting rusty because of the t-tops leaking, the engine was about dead, the engine i was building I still needed parts for, and I had a low paying job, so here I am..... In a dam minivan hoping for low 12's. If you have a desent gn you can go pretty fast cheap, the turbo and intercooler was the most exspensive upgrade back then, unless you went to a stage 1 or 2 engine or got crazy wanting to run 8's. as i recall a few grand your running a low 12 second street car.
    Good advice. It's too bad you threw in the towel on TR's like that tho'
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

I only did so because to replace the windshield, fix the t-tops, and repair the rotted post and doors, not to mention the paint it was going to be close to 5,000 by itself, then the engine was about dead too. being an 84 the best i could have got for it was about 2000.00, which i got nearly for 87 rims, posi rearend, and built 200r4 trans by itself. then i still had my rollbar kit, my fiberglass body parts, my complete 87 gn engine and wiring everything i needed to switch to the 86-87 style engine, plus all my performance and rebuild parts. I had to part it out to recoup some money and i ended up getting about 6,000 for everything, and bought a broken spirit r/t missing the top half the engine (not knowing what those parts were going to cost me) never finished it, and 2 more r/t's an omni and two vans and a lebaron convertible later, here i am. i sold a rust free turbovan roller(keeping the drivetrain for my new hearse minivan), and sold a rust free spirit r/t roller, parted all 3 spirit r/t's sold my omni glh clone that i never got running right, sold my t1 lebaron convertible, and now i'm hoping to turn my hearse minivan into a 12 second turbo mini, as my daily driver. I hope one day to be back in a gn and get my 61 buick hearse done. I'm addicted to speed and have a small budget with two children and a wife, so thats why i'm into the turbo dodge stuff, my only other option was a mustang, camaro, or some other small block chevy vehicle, but i don't want to be like everybody else. I'm not bashing the turbo dodge community, some of these cars are really cool, and unique. (its a priceless experiance smoking a camaro or mustang in a minivan)

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanpilot View Post

That is the biggest myth I think is around, and the reason you see alot of TD's for sale as the guy/gal spent so much and it still keeps breaking. Our cars are cheap to a point but to go fast, they are not cheap. Most are beat to shiit or mega abused to you have to fix it up then do your engine stuff. Sure you can do cheap tricks but they won't survive over the long term. It costs money to build a fast TD and keep it reliable unless you have an Omni due to the weight.

If you think an TR was expensive, getting a van to run low 12's will break your wallet too.
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 02-20-2009 at 06:19 PM.

turbo addict

You really think Terry has a boat load of money in his van?

I would absolutely love to have one, but I know I could never afford parts.

I have a lot of mods on my van, and hardly anything into it,(had stuff, bought used, sold and traded parts) and you can get running turbo dodge vehicles with many mods already done around 1000.00, or one thats all balls for under 3,000.00 try getting a heavily modified gn for under 3000.00

Quote Originally Posted by t3rse View Post
    You really think Terry has a boat load of money in his van?

I would absolutely love to have one, but I know I could never afford parts.
    Terry is the ONLY one that did it on a budget, everyone else, including me, has spent alot of money.

I have a lot of mods on my van, and hardly anything into it,(had stuff, bought used, sold and traded parts) and you can get running turbo dodge vehicles with many mods already done around 1000.00, or one thats all balls for under 3,000.00 try getting a heavily modified gn for under 3000.00
    True to a point, and you have the GN costing a mint to buy in the first place.

turbo addict

no offense but you went around your --- to get to your head

Quote Originally Posted by t3rse View Post
    no offense but you went around your --- to get to your head
    Huh? Are you talking to me? If so, you are right, I had alot of bad luck, some my fault, some out of my control. Sure I could have stayed 8 valve but I've always wanted a TIII so after my built 8 valve dropped a valve somehow, I decided that was the perfect time. I've had issues with this engine but I don't regret it, its the most fun, multipurpose vehicle I have ever owned.

As for others, many have given up, many have spent alot and still failed. Its not easy. Why do you think there is only a handful of 12 sec vans? yet 100's of cars???
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 02-22-2009 at 04:13 AM.

Hybrid booster

-- LOTS of them would willingly give up their TD for a real GN that is in equivalent condition--

umm trade?.. nope.. never.. BUT I sure wouldn't mind adding one to my collection. The GNX or T-Type cars are truly amazing machines with super potential and they have one thing I don't forsee for the TD's; high resale. They were designed to do one thing exceptionally well, go fast and they do. My only qualm is that I doubt they have the handling potential the TD's do. Cool cars none-the-less and definitely a deserving milestone in automotive history!

Mitsu booster

The turbo buick is a reliable car. low 12s for 1200 bucks also I might add.

As far as the whole gn-gnx-turbo t thing, I will say this. The GNX is a waste of money as far as I'm concerned unless you plan on plastic wrapping it and putting it in the garage. THe GN is usually heavier than the T's. The suspension and drivetrain are the same in the GNs and Ts.

ANd for the correction sake of the thread, MY car is actually a WE4. 1 of 1547 made. It has stock aluminum drums and bumper supports, aluminum wheels, 3.42 posi, pwr windows, rear defrost, pwr antenna, NO TILT, NO CRUISE, NO DELAY WIPERS, NO POWER LOCKS, NO TRUNK RELEASE,
    AND NO RADIO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast