Thread: A670 whining sound......

turbo addict

A670 whining sound......

Well I mentioned this a while back that my van had some kind of weird whining sound which I've actually heard from quite a few vans with the A670. I noticed it only does it in 1st and 2nd. It has been making this noise since I got the van nearly 80k ago. Trying to put in control arm bushings today I found that I could move the axle end inside the trans up and down a little bit while it is fully inserted.. I'm guessing the gears in the diff on this side are fried.. I also noticed when I would turn left under a load that there is a sound like a wheel bearing going.. My guess is this is the noise. That said, short of pulling the trans what is involved with replaced the diff bearings? I can get another trans for 100 dollars from the local salvage yard.. I may just do that. Thoughts?
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: A670 whining sound......

Is the wife around,

Well if the bearing is gone, which it sounds like, then the pan will be full of metal so to do it right, it should be torn down, otherwise, drop the K-member, remove the diff, flush out the crap, new bearings, take the pan off, clean out, and your done.

Trouble is with a $100 trans, you have no idea its any good until you install it.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

That is the odd thing. It has been making this noise for quite some time and I've already done a trans service and there was no metal in the fluid. If I go through it then I'm going all out and installing an OBX. This one wheel spin ---- really pisses me off when I'm the snow. I need some freakin traction and a truck is just one more expense I don't need when I have 2 engines to build by summer as it is. What do you estimate a good price on a trans rebuild kit or at the very least the parts to rebuild the diff with new bearings?
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

The bearings are around $15 each. Rebuild kits vary in price so i can't comment. My local kits are around $150 but you can get kits off Ebay for much less.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Well sounds like a plan then.