Thread: Fusible link replacement (your opinion)

Fusible link replacement (your opinion)

I need to replace a orange 20 gage fusible link wire. Noone seems to carry them in the 20 gage size.

I was contemplating putting in an inline fuze instead. However I thought that fusible links were initially used because they could withstand a temporary increase in amps without blowing where a regular fuse would blow. For example when the rad fan starts up it might draw 40 amps for a split second, but run on only 20 amps.

Am I right with this thinking? Should I avoid the inline fuse?

I also thought of those fancy fuses that are shaped like little rectangular boxes, with a window ontop. I don't know what they are called since I havn't owned a car new enough to use them. Weren't those fuses used to replace fusible links?

If I can use a fuse what amp do I need? My manual doesn't say what 20 gage correlates to.

Thoughts in general?

Thanks
    Andy

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: Fusible link replacement (your opinion)

I ran into the same problem also. not even Napa could order 20 gauge fuse link. so I ended up going to the junkyard and cutting the fuse link section out of several different donors to fix mine and have some spares. I think the dealer can get it from chrysler as a repair package

Your looking for Maxi type fuses. http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/electrical-links.html

someday I'm going to get the PDC from a Lebaron or Daytona and wire it into mine. get rid of all that crap once and for all.

just put an inline, a fuse will allow a little more amperage for a short time, but continuous us over will blow it, the main thing it is there for is a short anyways

Thanks guys

135sohc, that site was just what I was looking for. Looks like I'll be seeing what type fuse I can get in 40 amp, and go from there.

Andy

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I came across some today in my garage. Need some?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.JPG 
Views:	281 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	13329  

I got it working.

I ended up using a 40amp maxi fuse.

I would have ordered the one from amazon, or taken tmef up on the offer if it wasn't already done.

Thanks guys
    Andy

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I installed a '91 Lebaron GTC underhood harness w/PDC in my Shelby Lancer. One of the reasons I used that harness was to get away from those dreaded fuse links for good!

turbo addict

I've also done the PDC conversion on my '89 LeBaron. All I can say is...that was a LOT of work! SO many friggin wires! Although I also revamped the PDC to MY liking, so there was a bit more work involved then just the swap.

I kinda want to do it to my '88 Shelby Z, but I just don't have the time to do it right now....

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Reaper - did you add the PDC to a harness that didn't orignally come with it? I swapped an entire '91 GTC harness in my SL to get it (among other reasons) wasn't too bad.

boostaholic

Man I've been thinking of doing the PDC too, I like the idea of all the eng. systems on their on fuse + relays. I've been looking all differant PDC's from minivans to neons. Right now I got my injectors + fuelpump on a cooling fan relay to ensure max current flow. Had 2 aftermarket cheap fuse boxes for awhile till one started giving me problems. One still in the car for the body with circuit breakers instead of fuses. I feel that too much is wired into the ASD relay.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Reaper - did you add the PDC to a harness that didn't orignally come with it? I swapped an entire '91 GTC harness in my SL to get it (among other reasons) wasn't too bad.
    Yes, I added a '91-'93 G/J-body PDC to my '89 J-body wiring harness. Basically I chopped out the fusable link stuff and spliced in the PDC using diagrams from both cars and instructions from another memeber on TD who also has done it.

I also modded the PDC while I was at it because I wanted certain things on their own circut, so there was a bit of other modding going on that made it a little more complex than just a straight swap will be.

Quote Originally Posted by butchsuppe View Post
    Man I've been thinking of doing the PDC too, I like the idea of all the eng. systems on their on fuse + relays. I've been looking all differant PDC's from minivans to neons. Right now I got my injectors + fuelpump on a cooling fan relay to ensure max current flow. Had 2 aftermarket cheap fuse boxes for awhile till one started giving me problems. One still in the car for the body with circuit breakers instead of fuses. I feel that too much is wired into the ASD relay.
    This is why I modded the PDC I spliced in. I felt the ASD had too much going to it, so I made it so the fuel pump have its own relay all together(with 10 or 8 gage wire all the way back to it), and then the iginition and sensors were on their own circut, and I beleive I separated the injectors as well, one of these was the origional ASD circut, but I can't remember which at the moment. At any rate the ASD was only responsible for a third of what is had before. All the realys are powered up by the same circut as the ASD. I've got diagrams and pictures somewhere IIRC.

I'm half temped to do this mod to my '88 Shelby Z, but it is a lot of work and so far *knock on wood* I haven't had many issues...