Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: daytona rear disc conversion

Garrett booster

Re: daytona rear disc conversion

OK, I'm almost ready to begin my 11" disc/disc upgrade on my Spirit> I have all of the parts sandblasted, painted, ready to go, except one thing. I am having a hard time in finding new shoes for the parking brake drums. Anybody know where I can get a set?
    I'm going to document and photo everything I do on this and then post it as I have seen a number of threads regarding this switch.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Parts stores-Rabyesto's or the dealer, get them for a Neon. I did notice the Neon shoe's are smaller though.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I didn't have problems getting mine from the parts store. There are the wearever brand. They were the cheapest and in stock.

later

Quote Originally Posted by Team Canada View Post
    OK, I'm almost ready to begin my 11" disc/disc upgrade on my Spirit> I have all of the parts sandblasted, painted, ready to go, except one thing. I am having a hard time in finding new shoes for the parking brake drums. Anybody know where I can get a set?
    I'm going to document and photo everything I do on this and then post it as I have seen a number of threads regarding this switch.
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Canada View Post
    If it's going to be as documented as you say, you should put it in the Knowledge Center then start a thread for people to comment on it.

A.J.

Allow me to jump in here and ask what the heck is the difference between the brake setup on a 90-91 Daytona Shelby compared to that of a 91-93 Spirit R/T??? From what I've heard, everything is the same except for the front calipers as they're larger on a Spirit compared to Daytona? Just wondering since it seems like a bunch of you brake gurus are in on this thread. How can you tell the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by DC Turismo View Post
    Allow me to jump in here and ask what the heck is the difference between the brake setup on a 90-91 Daytona Shelby compared to that of a 91-93 Spirit R/T??? From what I've heard, everything is the same except for the front calipers as they're larger on a Spirit compared to Daytona? Just wondering since it seems like a bunch of you brake gurus are in on this thread. How can you tell the difference?
    There is no difference. There are 3 rear setups, one uses the e-brake in the caliper, ala 87Z, then the solid 10's and vented 11's use an e-brake shoe.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    There is no difference. There are 3 rear setups, one uses the e-brake in the caliper, ala 87Z, then the solid 10's and vented 11's use an e-brake shoe.
    Good to know then, thanks!

turbo addict

Has any one found more agressive pads for 11" front and rear disc set up yet that they liked ?

Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    Has any one found more agressive pads for 11" front and rear disc set up yet that they liked ?
    I am using AKE BONO front ceramic's, holy shiat. I got some Hawk rears but they ate my rotors in a month, so I put the Wagners back on for now. I will get some matching Ake's or find some Hawk's one day. Keep waiting for the sales,

Mitsu booster

Hi guys, I'm thinking to put rear disc brakes on 95 Caravan, does anyone know parts from which car I could use? I'd like to keep original bolt pattern. As I understand, vented rear disc brakes from 89 Daytona will work just fine?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by ranchero; 05-09-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Zombie thread!!!! Back from the dead!

Humor aside, if you have the 5 x 112 bolt pattern you won't be able to use the above discussed rotors, they are all 5 x 100.

If you already have the 5 x 100 pattern, then they will match, but you'll need to adapt the stub axles as the car and vans aren't the same.

Simon has a thread discussing what you want to do, I suggest you check it out and post in that thread for more van specific info. Here's the thread: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ight=rear+disc

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Mitsu booster

Thanks so much for the link!

No problem. Best of luck with your project!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

You could take the brakes and park brake cables from an 89 GTC or Shelby Daytona. 88 and earlier discs have calipers that cost more than the later ones and they also have the habit of not releasing the park brake on occasion. Ask me how I know.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Has anyone tried putting a set of Willwood calipers on the rear of an 11" Daytona setup? I have a 10" solid rear setup, but can't find an 11", so I plan to build my own. Our cars are getting to the point where it's difficult to find used parts to do full conversions.

OK, I bought a pair of Willwood calipers, which the rep and I thought would fit. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to fit them between the rotor and a 15" wheel, so I have decided to go back to a stock type caliper, using a 10.5" solid rotor backplate.

So far, the conversion is going well. I am having some parts waterjetted and will post a writeup, on how to do it, once I have it completed. That probably won't be until the fall, since I have multiple cars to work on.

OK, it's taken a few months, but I finally have my 11.5" backing plates completed. I don't have time to do a full writeup, but here is how I converted a pair of solid rotor 10.5" backing plates to 11.5" slotted rotor type.

If anyone is interested, I can do a full writeup and include the CAD drawings, that you can give to a shop to waterjet cut. It might be our only option, with the 11.5" setups becoming harder to find.

This is an original 10.5" backing plate.
    Last edited by LaserDad; 11-18-2013 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Can't post pics

To post pictures you may need to be a contributing member... $20.00 I think is all it is, and it'll get you much more space for PMs.

Otherwise, you can post a link to wherever you host pictures (Photobucket, etc).

I for one would like to see the drawings, etc, if for no other reason than to have the resource for future use. I've been thinking about changing to the 5 x 112 pattern, as there seems to be a wider selection of wheels at lower prices.

Mike

- Edmund Burke

OK, I paid my $20, so let's see if this now works.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Backing Plate, Original-1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	47837
    This is a pic of the original 10.5" rear backing plate off an '89 Daytona, with internal parking brake solid rotors.

Name:	Backing Plate, Cut Away.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	47838
    This is what it looked like after cutting and grinding.

Name:	Brakes, Rear, Mod-2.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	47840
    Mock up with tack welds. The caliper will sit square, after bolting up.

Name:	Backing Plate, Mod-1.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	47839
    These are the plates after welding.

Name:	Rear Brakes, Assembled-1.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	47841
    Mounted on car, w/o rotors, after powdercoating.

These now fit the 11.5 internal parking brake rotors. The calipers bolted on perfectly, without having to force anything. I designed the spacer plates so that they mate up to the plate's protrusions, so that my welder didn't have to do any measuring.

If anyone thinks a full writeup, with the drawings, would be useful, please let me know.

Pictures showed up nicely.

Anything that adds information to the site, especially something like this is desired, by me at the least, and many others who may not even known it yet!

Seriously, just having the drawing may be all someone else the confidence to give it a try! Do update this thread once you have a chance to try them out and get an impression of how they work.

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Pictures showed up nicely.

Anything that adds information to the site, especially something like this is desired, by me at the least, and many others who may not even known it yet!

Seriously, just having the drawing may be all someone else the confidence to give it a try! Do update this thread once you have a chance to try them out and get an impression of how they work.

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast