Thread: Building a hybrid transaxle

turbo addict

Building a hybrid transaxle

I sold the 520 out of my Shelby Charger nearly a year ago. I'm itching to get the engine and a transaxle back in the car. I have a 520, a 555, and an OBX lsd sitting here waiting.

I've looked into having Cliff build one, but shipping would kill me. I've also had very little luck finding somebody around me that will fool with a manual tranny. How hard is it to rebuild a transaxle with a FSM? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Building a hybrid transaxle

Are you looking to rebuild or just build a hybrid and freshen up? If the A555 was in good working order, I would vote the later and way less to do...

Step 1, make sure the A555 and A520 are of the same '87-'88 or '89 vintage. because of this

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vb...e&articleid=80

Then read the KC articels about hybrids and OBX

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vb...e&articleid=61
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vb...e&articleid=63
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vb...e&articleid=43

and with the FSM and some tools like snap ring pliers, dial indicator, etc, you should be good to go!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Yes, it's definitely doable with the FSM. Kevin, are you comfortable assembling an engine and knowing that you did it right? If so a 555/520 should not be a problem. Just keep track of the pieces and bolts as you take it apart and you'll be good to go. I would say the toughest part about it all is removing and installing the gearset since the shift rails & everything come out at once...gotta find just the right position and then they slip right out.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    Yes, it's definitely doable with the FSM. Kevin, are you comfortable assembling an engine and knowing that you did it right? If so a 555/520 should not be a problem. Just keep track of the pieces and bolts as you take it apart and you'll be good to go. I would say the toughest part about it all is removing and installing the gearset since the shift rails & everything come out at once...gotta find just the right position and then they slip right out.
    ....and they go back in even worse!