Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TU Hybrid Header and 3" Swingvalve Design Questions Answered

TU Hybrid Header and 3" Swingvalve Design Questions Answered

Since this has been brought up in a few threads already I just wanted to clarify the reasoning behind why some port matching is required on our cast iron headers when using the Chrysler style turbine housings.

We have always maintained close contact with the decision makers over at Turbonetics about the future of all their Chrysler style products, especially the .63A/R housing. As many of you already know Turbonetics is the ONLY manufacturer of these turbine housings. With overall dwindling sales and due to the country's current economic situation the time has come that Turbonetics will not be manufacturing these for us anymore. The news was even more discouraging to TU since our 3" swingvalves were tied directly to these Chrysler housings. In the past we have always been able to delay their decision by just placing larger orders, but Turbonetics is not being very negotiable this time around. So, having seen the writing on the wall and knowing this day would eventually come, TU decided to design the cast iron Hybrid header mainly for the Ford style turbine housings in order to maintain the availability of performance turbine housings for these vehicles in the future. As a few of you already know we have also redesigned our 3" swingvalves so that they can be used on both the Ford and Chrysler style turbine housings. This took some doing but should hopefully increase sales volume enough so that we can keep this product around for a while longer.

We have seen some TU Header bashing on the lists due to the flange mismatch. From our perspective, had we cast the turbine port to match the Chrysler turbine housing then all future Ford turbine housing applications would have to hog out the header and then we would hear complaints from them. Since we hope this product will be around for a while and there will be more and more customers using the Ford style housings (as Chrysler style housings dry up) it made more sense this way. A few sharp customers picked up on the Ford gasket match right away but were sworn to secrecy until I was able to put together this announcement. THANKS GUYS! You know who you are.... FYI- The fine thread turbine flange bolts were limited to only the first 30 headers and balance of them had course SAE thread. No reason to increase the cost of the product by using costly metric studs/nuts.

In any case, we just wanted to inform every one of the changes and to let you know that TU is working hard at staying a couple of steps ahead of the industry. There is always a method to our maddness. By structuring the business and designing our products to compliment what is still available you can be confident that TU will be able to provide you with enhanced performance parts now and well into the future.

If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to contact us. While I won’t have phone access from Dec 16th through the 28th you can still reach me via PM or email during that time. chris@turbosunleashed.com

We wish you all the Happiest of Holidays and look forward to bringing a few new products on board the beginning of the New Year.

Chris Wright
    www.TurbosUnleashed.com

PS- Attached below are a couple of pics showing the Ford style gasket on our header and on the Chrysler turbine flange.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ford style turbine gasket.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	11705   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chrysler style turbine housing.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	11706  
    Last edited by Chris W; 12-16-2008 at 02:29 AM.
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

Re: TU Hybrid Header and 3" Swingvalve Design Questions Answered

Placed my order on Sat.
    can't wait to take full advatage of that header and keep the omni in the 10's without warping my header anymore
    gotta love the external wastgate provision
    10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09
    TFB Fabrications custom billet machined parts for you Turbo Mopar

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

This may be a dumb question, but will the old "style" SV work with the ford housings?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Thanks for the info Chris. Sadly, this is yet another part not available any longer. Glad you are trying to fill the void too.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by omni_840 View Post
    This may be a dumb question, but will the old "style" SV work with the ford housings?
    No, the 5 bolt holes are place differently.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Hmm... so in theory, if I use a Mexican Stratus manifold on a DOHC head, your new 3" swingvalve will work with that setup.
    Sweetness.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Another part for our cars taking a dump,

Maybe you can buy the molds from Turbonetics or they can give them to you?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post

Yeah it does kinda suck that the Chrysler style housings will be going away, but at the same time, using a more universal flange design opens up many more turbo options for us.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Yeah it does kinda suck that the Chrysler style housings will be going away, but at the same time, using a more universal flange design opens up many more turbo options for us.
    I agree with that but I'm a little discouraged b/c I bought a TU 3'' SV when Chris implied he wasn't going to make anymore. So I bought one and now the "new" design will work with the ford housing. I don't even have a turbo to mount to
    Last edited by omni_840; 12-16-2008 at 02:34 PM.

boostaholic

So what Fords have the housing ? Just so I know what to look for at the yards. Speaking of yards what do ricers want, I'd love to rape their wallets.

turbo addict

Ughhh...BIG sad face from me... I'm not going to be able to use my beautiful 3" SV until I get a turbo...and I won't be able to do that until I build a bottom end. With the way my finances are with school right now, that won't be happening when I wanted it to either!! I sure hope there's a Chrysler .63 housing left when I go to get my turbo, but I have NO clue when that's going to be...

Quote Originally Posted by omni_840 View Post
    I agree with that but I'm a little discouraged b/c I bought a TU 3'' SV when Chris implied he wasn't going to make anymore. So I bought one and now the "new" design will work with the ford housing. I don't even have a turbo to mount to
    When you bought your swingvalve from us we were considering not making them anymore. But, after meeting with our pattern designer we determined that we could make a few changes and it will work for both applications. This opens up the doors to many other markets which should keep this part from being discontinued. You purchased it at the lower cost so you can sell it now and purchase the universal one later. I know a few people who are looking for one now and don't need the Ford option. PM me and I will forward you contact info.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

OK, I'm confused.....I have two TU 3" swingvalves that I bought several years ago for my Omni and my Lancer. Now I'm converting BOTH cars to TIII and will be using standard T3 turbines with the Ford flange setup, so I figured I'd have to replace the TU swingvalve with the ATP Ultimate swingvalve. Will this new design TU swingvalve will work for me without having to fab a new downpipe like I would have to do if I used the ATP swingvalve?

turbo addict

PM sent, Chris...

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Hmm... so in theory, if I use a Mexican Stratus manifold on a DOHC head, your new 3" swingvalve will work with that setup.
    Sweetness.

srt is going hybrid
    10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09

Quote Originally Posted by "Top Fuel" Bender View Post
    srt is going hybrid
    Nope
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post

I may be wrong... again... but I think I was told or read that they were pulverized. Very specifically that word. Not destroyed or lost or not available which is why I think my memory is actually working at the moment. Chris? Oh yea, was I supposed to keep the ford thing a secret?
    What about the flex capasitor your working on.... Oops

just got the header
    quick ship
    looks great
    can't wait to hang this thing on the motor
    lower nuts look like fun
    this header has gotta flow
    10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09

just got the header
    quick ship
    looks great
    lower nuts look like fun

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Wow, you guys are mixing two of my favorite things: Back to the Future and Star Trek!! LOL Yes, I'm a nerd. No, I don't care..it's painfully obvious when you go to 'Riddle...EVERYBODY is a nerd!! LOL

HEY, I resemble that remark. Graduated Riddle in '90. Awesome teachers and school. Just a little bit pricey though.

Back on topic.....

just got the header
    quick ship
    looks great
    lower nuts look like fun

Looking forward to seeing everything when it's finished.

Chris-TU

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast