Thread: ASD question

Hybrid booster

ASD question

My daughter has a 93 Chrysler new yorker, When you crank it it will start for about 3 sec then quit. I've check ed the fuel pressure while it quits & it stays at 45 lbs until after it quits. On the spark side it is still sparking even as it is turning off so the computer is turning the injectors off. What is is making the auto shut down trigger ? I 've changed the crank & cam sensors already...

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: ASD question

Have you checked for codes???????? If your getting spark, the ASD is working.

I bet you'll have a code for the MAP sensor.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

Could be a bad ing.switch, you could test this with a test light at the coil pos terminal. The switch could also be out of adj.

Hybrid booster

I thought about the switch but it still has spark even if you hold the on the start side it still shuts off. Simon, the only codes were 12 -55. I disconnected the map & it threw the code then... But it could be clogged,i 'll check that when I pull one at the j/y there is no use of spending $ 65 for one.

If the ignition is still firing and the fuel pump is still running as it's turning off, then it's probably not the ASD. The ASD is responsible for power to the injectors, coil, fuel pump, and O2 sensor heater. If any of these still have power then the ASD is still latched at that point.

If I misread and it is losing power to all of those at once, then I bet the computer is losing the reference signal from the distributer for some reason. When this happens, the computer thinks that the engine is no longer running and cuts power to the ASD.

Hybrid booster

new crank & cam sensor... It's like the computer is shutting off the injectors

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Millerman340 View Post
    new crank & cam sensor... It's like the computer is shutting off the injectors

the computer would shut , fuel pump ,coil ign,injectors , o2 heater all in the same time

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

is the fuel pump stop , do you hear it when the engine stall ? it looks like there is no fuel pressure

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Millerman340 View Post
    I've check ed the fuel pressure while it quits & it stays at 45 lbs until after it quits. On the spark side it is still sparking even as it is turning off so the computer is turning the injectors off. ...
    Pump is still on ( checked with pressure gauge )& the ign is still firing ( checked with plug wire & checked with a spark checker plug. If I lost fuel pressure I'd go to the pump, Even if you hold it to the floor it will bounce off the rev limiter about twice before shutting down with spark & fuel pressure.....
    93 5th ave 3.8 no codes ,

Hybrid booster

It is also intermittent, During the winter it did the same thing & sat for about a month. One day she tried it & it ran fine & has since until now.