Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Post pics of pitiful shelbys

Re: Post pics of pitiful shelbys

Not a numbered car, but an 85 Omni. Back in 1993 I lost control of it in a corner doing 80mph because someone else had driven off the shoulder and showered the surface of the road with gravel. As you can see from the way the entire car is shifted, I left the road sideways with the drivers side of the car facing the ditch. A witness stated that I barrel rolled 5 or 6 times over the distance of 150 ft. Had I not hit an electrical pole 8 feet in the air with the rear hatch, I would have landed in a fenced off area full of electrical transformers that fed an old Dupont factory. Notice how far away the door frames are pulled from where they are supposed to meet the roof! I literally fastened my seatbelt seconds before the crash, because I thought it was a good idea since I was coming into the turn fast. Chrysler engineering saved my butt...if the doors had opened who knows if I would have stayed in the car or not. The only injury I sustained was a small cut from breaking out the driver's window with my head.

[FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    Not a numbered car, but an 85 Omni. Back in 1993 I lost control of it in a corner doing 80mph because someone else had driven off the shoulder and showered the surface of the road with gravel. As you can see from the way the entire car is shifted, I left the road sideways with the drivers side of the car facing the ditch. A witness stated that I barrel rolled 5 or 6 times over the distance of 150 ft. Had I not hit an electrical pole 8 feet in the air with the rear hatch, I would have landed in a fenced off area full of electrical transformers that fed an old Dupont factory. Notice how far away the door frames are pulled from where they are supposed to meet the roof! I literally fastened my seatbelt seconds before the crash, because I thought it was a good idea since I was coming into the turn fast. Chrysler engineering saved my butt...if the doors had opened who knows if I would have stayed in the car or not. The only injury I sustained was a small cut from breaking out the driver's window with my head.

You would have been fine if you hit the transformers. Just don't get out of the car!

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    You would have been fine if you hit the transformers. Just don't get out of the car!
    LOL I know my description might sound far fetched, but it really was an incredible accident. The witness was a truck driver waiting to leave the factory. By the time he ran over to my car, I had already crawled out and was standing next to it. He ran up to me, grabbed my arm, and swung his head back and forth yelling "Where's the driver? Where's the driver?" He had a totally dumbfounded look when I explained that it was me. Then he exclaimed that I should be bowing down on the ground thanking the good Lord that I was alive...he was a whole lot more shaken up over the whole accident than I was.
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    Ha! New desktop image!

Hybrid booster

Is that windshield even broken????

Garrett booster

I'd say that car held up quite well from your description of the accident!

Jon

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I've seen an '87 GLHS wrecked just as bad as that, and the driver also survived, albeit with a few more injuries. Neither door came open on it either. Seeing it made me feel much better about racing around in these old tin cans
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

I saw an L-body vs Dakota many years ago...surprisingly the L-body won! LOL

I have a friend who also rolled an L-body without much injury, if any.

My '90 Daytona got rear ended by an L-body....I dunno which car fared worse as I wasn't there, but my Daytona got fairly messed up because the front bumper of the Omni went UNDER the Daytona's rear bumper and hit the spare tire well instead of the bumper. NOT good!

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    #170. Last owned by John Cooper. The previous owner was Jim Thompson who claimed to be owner of the Rod Shop and part of the Dodge Plymouth race team way back in the 60's.
    I must have pissed him off as each time I talked to him the price got higher. I gave up on the car and gave the contact info to John. He bought the car for less money than my original offer.
    Sure stored the car nice huh? What a dork.
    Todd
    I know this is an older post. But Jim Thompson was the owner of the Rod Shop and part of the race team. He did have a few omni's, my buddy has one of his glht's. That's weird he gave you a hard time, always been a good guy in my book. My family has had Fast Racing do our machine work and the late Bruce Miehls (owner) was also a part of the Rod Shop. Sorry just love the old school Rod Shop stuff. Anyways back to topic.

Here is a pic of an 87 CSX
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	197736_10150106245546277_508181276_6804131_1361233_n.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	29489
    Last edited by coronet2fast; 03-10-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

It's looking alot better now!!

turbo addict

We need a calender of beat down shelbys
    HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA

turbo addict

^^ red "x" syndrome

Garrett booster

Masi TC in the wreckers. TII auto car.

turbo addict

nice find, pillage!!!!
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

turbo addict

+1 on the pillaging lol
    HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA

turbo addict

+2 on the pillaging!

Garrett booster

Is that a common problem for those TC's to get that big wrinkle on the dash board? The rest of the car looks pretty nice!

Jon

Hybrid booster

Boostboy: I could use the armrest if you happen to be in that junkyard again anytime soon....

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 88CSX-T View Post
    Boostboy: I could use the armrest if you happen to be in that junkyard again anytime soon....
    Gonna install it in the T? Probably so comfortable you'll miss shifts because it's too comfy to move your arm.