Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: take me to school on hybrid turbos

turbo addict

take me to school on hybrid turbos

i have a garret off of a 89 shelby daytona so its the tII garret and it is locked up and going to need rebuilt. im not entirely sure what will need replaced or not yet but i have access to a local turbo shop and was wondering what all options i have to modify this thing. from what i have read from the dodge garage is

Hybrid Turbo's.

A hybrid turbo is a turbocharger that use components from different families. In this case, as far as FWD Mopars go (so far) Garrett T3 exhaust & center section (That's what our cars use from the factory) combined with Garrett T4 compressor housings and wheels.

so what parts do i need exactly to pull this off? what are my options?

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: take me to school on hybrid turbos

the 89 shelby tona is a TII powered car, but the turbo is a T3 garrett.

your best bet is to talk to a reputable turbo rebuilder and have them set you up with something aimed towards what you need for your application

rebuilds run you approx 300 bucks, then add in the compressor housing/backplate and T4 wheel to the cost!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    the 89 shelby tona is a TII powered car, but the turbo is a T3 garrett.

your best bet is to talk to a reputable turbo rebuilder and have them set you up with something aimed towards what you need for your application

rebuilds run you approx 300 bucks, then add in the compressor housing/backplate and T4 wheel to the cost!

the labor will most likely not cost me anything but the hard parts will. are these the only parts or do they use different shafts bearings etc. what options do i have for exhaust and compressor housing sizes also

turbo addict

There are only two "bolt-on" turbine housing for TM.
    .48 (what you already have) and .63 manufactured by Turbonetics and sold by TM vendors.

Chrysler style .63 A/R turbine housings have been discontinued. We expect one last batch due in next month and then the pattern and core box will be going into storage indefinitely. All of the new turbine housings we will be receiving have been designated for complete turbo builds.

You are seriously limiting yourself by mixing a T4 compressor wheel and housing with your stock TII .48 A/R exhaust housing. I would start looking for a used .63 A/R Chrysler style turbine housing if you are serious about running a hybrid turbo or contact us if you are interested in one of our hybrid turbos with the Chrysler style .63 A/R turbine housings.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Correct, a .48 housing is like breathing thru a straw,

A good stock replacement is a 46 trim T04E housing and wheel, .63 housing, stock turbine and center section or run a 60 trim wheel and .63 housing on your stocker for an S60 clone.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Chrysler style .63 A/R turbine housings have been discontinued. We expect one last batch due in next month and then the pattern and core box will be going into storage indefinitely. All of the new turbine housings we will be receiving have been designated for complete turbo builds.

You are seriously limiting yourself by mixing a T4 compressor wheel and housing with your stock TII .48 A/R exhaust housing. I would start looking for a used .63 A/R Chrysler style turbine housing if you are serious about running a hybrid turbo or contact us if you are interested in one of our hybrid turbos with the Chrysler style .63 A/R turbine housings.

Chris-TU
    when i change the exhaust housing i have to run a bigger exhaust wheel also right. and what power over a stock t2 could be made with converting it to the t4 compressor wheel and housing seeing as im not going to be building a rocketship it will be autocrossed alot and some dragracing also. also if i would buy a used .63 housing do they still sell the wheel to go with it or am i thinking all wrong
    Last edited by bgbmxer; 03-02-2009 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    when i change the exhaust housing i have to run a bigger exhaust wheel also right. and what power over a stock t2 could be made with converting it to the t4 compressor wheel and housing seeing as im not going to be building a rocketship it will be autocrossed alot and some dragracing also. also if i would buy a used .63 housing do they still sell the wheel to go with it or am i thinking all wrong
    Not necessarily. You can stay with the factory Stage 1 turbine wheel on most mild applications. It's only when you are shooting for more then 350HP that you need to upgrade to the next size. The Stage 1 wheel will fit both the .48 and .63 A/R turbine housings. The .48 A/R turbine housings will restrict your HP levels to as low as 265.

There are a few other things we need to know about your vehicle as well so we can recommend the correct compressor/turbine wheel combination. Vehicle weight, type of racing, horsepower goals, etc. all play a part in the ideal selection for your individual application. It's always best to call prior to ordering so we can choose the best configuration for your vehicle.

Chris-TU
    Last edited by Chris W; 03-02-2009 at 01:58 PM.
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Not necessarily. You can stay with the factory Stage 1 turbine wheel on most mild applications. It's only when you are shooting for more then 350HP that you need to upgrade to the next size. The Stage 1 wheel will fit both the .48 and .63 A/R turbine housings. The .48 A/R turbine housings will restrict your HP levels to as low as 265.

There are a few other things we need to know about your vehicle as well so we can recommend the correct compressor/turbine wheel combination. Vehicle weight, type of racing, horsepower goals, etc. all play a part in the ideal selection for your individual application. It's always best to call prior to ordering so we can choose the best configuration for your vehicle.

Chris-TU
    so i have to find the .63 a/r turbine housing pretty much that settles that. i have also been offered to buy the super 70 stuff for my turbo as well so im thinking that as long as my cartrige is good on my turbo i will probably buy that and try finding a .63 turbine housing. as for the motor its a 89t2 will be getting ported head bigger valves ported 2pc intake and exhaust mani's

so i have to find the .63 a/r turbine housing pretty much that settles that. i have also been offered to buy the super 70 stuff for my turbo as well so im thinking that as long as my cartrige is good on my turbo i will probably buy that and try finding a .63 turbine housing. as for the motor its a 89t2 will be getting ported head bigger valves ported 2pc intake and exhaust mani's
    Yes, if you are going to upgrade your turbo then finding a .63 A/R housing should be first on your list. What Super 70 items are you referring to? The reason I ask is because many sources have their own definition of "Super 70". We use a specific size/model compressor wheel which does not cause excessive compressor housing temperatures. There are individuals here that may offer the wrong size wheel based on what they consider a Super 70. If it's the wrong size wheel it can cause an increase in compressor outlet temperatures which will reduce performance and efficiency.

Did you say you had a local friend that will help with the turbo upgrade? Just make sure everything is balanced when you are done. Marking the compressor wheel, nut and turbine shaft locaton for re-assembly is not balancing it. Over time turbine and compressor wheels will become pitted which throws the balance off. Re-aligning everything only provides you with a false impression of being balanced. Using this method of balancing could lead to an even more expensive rebuild in the future.

Chris-TU

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Vendor

so i have to find the .63 a/r turbine housing pretty much that settles that. SNIP.......
    We have a few Chrysler style .63 A/R turbine housings in stock and several more on the way. Give Cindy a call and she can hook you up.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR] is a performance parts and service business catering to a variety of high performance cars. We carry a full line of products to service and upgrade [I][COLOR="#FF0000"]Turbo Mopars, Shelby Dodges and Chryslers[/COLOR][/I] of all makes, models and years. From parts to service, fabrication and dyno tuning there is something for everyone. Visit our store at [COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR], we'd love to hear from you![/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    We have a few Chrysler style .63 A/R turbine housings in stock and several more on the way. Give Cindy a call and she can hook you up.
    One thing that you might not realize is the .63 A/R housings purchased within the last year will not work for your application. They will only work with F1 series Turbonetics turbine wheels. You will need the older style turbine housing designed specifically for the older Stage 1 wheel which is what came on your TII turbo.

Chris-TU
    Last edited by BadAssPerformance; 03-03-2009 at 03:10 PM. Reason: reference

turbo addict

just found out the t3 i had has a bent shaft so now i guess im looking for a different turbo all together

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    As I said, give Cindy a call she has a few on the shelf and she can make sure you get what you need.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR] is a performance parts and service business catering to a variety of high performance cars. We carry a full line of products to service and upgrade [I][COLOR="#FF0000"]Turbo Mopars, Shelby Dodges and Chryslers[/COLOR][/I] of all makes, models and years. From parts to service, fabrication and dyno tuning there is something for everyone. Visit our store at [COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR], we'd love to hear from you![/SIZE]

just found out the t3 i had has a bent shaft so now i guess im looking for a different turbo all together
    Give us a call or shoot us an email so we can spec out the right turbo for your application.

We have been selling in this community longer then any other vendor on this message board.

Chris-TU
    602-76-BOOST
    602-762-6678
    Last edited by BadAssPerformance; 03-02-2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: comment not needed

Resident Nuke Turbo Mopar Contributor denviola's Avatar

Brandon, I know from other threads that you are getting some extensive port work and possibly you could take advantage of a hybrid turbo. I have all of that work on mine and based on having that and the opinion of the engine builder (Mike), I'm sticking with a stock T-3 for now, with the 3" swing valve and 3" exhaust. That should help it spool faster. I'm looking for street, track and autocross just as you are. There are a lot of threads on various sites telling you how to rebuild a turbo. I took a junk turbo and pulled it apart just to see how hard it really was. Soaked the bolts, used heat, made match marks, etc. Still broke a few bolts and once I saw what was inside and considered the RPM these things turn, decided that a vendor rebuild is really not a bad price after all.

Chatted with Mike again tonight and mentioned this thread (his internet access is still down). He wanted to tell you that even though he wrote one of the turbo rebuild threads, he is still sending his own out to Chris to ensure it gets balanced and rebuilt. All that and a warranty too.
    Sometimes it's best to deal with an expert to make sure you get what you need. Just my $0.02.
    Denny
    Last edited by denviola; 03-02-2009 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Gud Spellar
    SDAC Member, Steel City Chapter SDAC Member, SV-SDAC member, SV-TD Member
    www.sv-td.com
    85 600 ES Turbo Conv., 91 Spirit R/T
    2014 RAM Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab Dually. 6.7 CTD, AISIN, 4.10 gear
    68 GS400 (owned since 1973, someday 455)
    2012 Can-AM RT Limited

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by denviola View Post
    Brandon, I know from other threads that you are getting some extensive port work and possibly you could take advantage of a hybrid turbo. I have all of that work on mine and based on having that and the opinion of the engine builder (Mike), I'm sticking with a stock T-3 for now, with the 3" swing valve and 3" exhaust. That should help it spool faster. I'm looking for street, track and autocross just as you are. There are a lot of threads on various sites telling you how to rebuild a turbo. I took a junk turbo and pulled it apart just to see how hard it really was. Soaked the bolts, used heat, made match marks, etc. Still broke a few bolts and once I saw what was inside and considered the RPM these things turn, decided that a vendor rebuild is really not a bad price after all.

Chatted with Mike again tonight and mentioned this thread (his internet access is still down). He wanted to tell you that even though he wrote one of the turbo rebuils threads, he is still sending his own out to Chris to ensure it gets balanced and rebuilt. All that and a warranty too.
    Sometimes it's best to deal with an expert to make sure you get what you need. Just my $0.02.
    Denny

hey denny thanks for chipping in. i myself will not be rebuilding the turbo im just seeing what housing combos and things like that i can use my friend who works at diesel pro will be rebuilding it and doing all that work. after seeing how easy it is to put the t4 side on a t3 i am seeing that i can do this through a friend cheaper than buying a new one and get what i want also. the quality of the rebuild will not be an issue just trying to find out more about the stages and different size housings and if nothing else learn something in the process. i need a .63 exhaust housing and a 3inch sv would be nice also. the inlet side is still up in the air as of now.

From the sound of it you need a rebuilt or new turbo. Denny makes a good point about consulting with the experts to get the right unit for your application. All of us vendors use a lot of the same experts. So yes by all means take the time to do your homework and talk to the experts. What ever direction you go we will be happy to provide any support you feel you need.
    Last edited by JamesL; 03-03-2009 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Post that accused me of hijacking was removed. Removed my comments related to it.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

OK, as far as I can tell, this thread was not directed to anyone specifically but rather ALL, and as a tech question, so all replies are welcome.

Both James and Chris, please play nice. I understand you are both in business to sell turbo's, however, this is a technical thread so lets keep it on that level. I think both of you have decent product to sell, so it is entirely ok to offer your assistance to prospective customers. I do not however appreciate any BS... like I said 'play nice'

Back on topic... I remember hearing that Turbonetics discontinued the old 'stage' wheels/housings in favor of the "F1" wheels/housings too. This took place over a year ago.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    OK, as far as I can tell, this thread was not directed to anyone specifically but rather ALL, and as a tech question, so all replies are welcome.

Both James and Chris, please play nice. I understand you are both in business to sell turbo's, however, this is a technical thread so lets keep it on that level. I think both of you have decent product to sell, so it is entirely ok to offer your assistance to prospective customers. I do not however appreciate any BS... like I said 'play nice'

Back on topic... I remember hearing that Turbonetics discontinued the old 'stage' wheels/housings in favor of the "F1" wheels/housings too. This took place over a year ago.
    Thanks and right on JT...
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast