Thread: No balance shafts and solid poly mounts=dash rattle. Need new mounts for Spirit.

boostaholic

No balance shafts and solid poly mounts=dash rattle. Need new mounts for Spirit.

I got the R/T back together the other day and when the motor was out I removed the chain for the balance shafts. When I got the car it had solid poly mounts all around, I never minded it before but now the dash rattles at idle and cruising speeds. For 1, I dont know where to get a master link to put the chain back on and 2, I dont want to pull the pan off again. So I figure my best bet would be to intall stock style mounts back in the car. Where is a good place to get them? And in the future, if I change my mind is the a way I can get a link to put the chain back in?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: No balance shafts and solid poly mounts=dash rattle. Need new mounts for Spirit.

Dealer, If they still have any leftover ? otherwise I'd go to the junkyard and find some from a donor in good condition. The anchor brand mounts from the parts stores are garbage. never had much luck with them

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: No balance shafts and solid poly mounts=dash rattle. Need new mounts for Spirit.

Dealer for mounts or aftermarket but Napa aren't much better. I'll list up what I've used in the past after I look at an invoice tomorrow, they don't vibrate and trust me, I've tried them all.

If you are running a solid bobble strut, take that out first and see what happens.

You can't get a link for the chain but you might be able to if you get ahold of a manufacterer and match it up?

Dealer still might sell the chain but you have to drop the pan and remove the front crank retainer.

I have said this happens but everyone says nah, its liveable,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

I'd put a stock style bobble strut in first and if the dash still rattles then you can put in a stock style mount on the pass side. Johnny also has a way to mod the pass mount on his site by drilling holes in the lower corners but then you can't put it back.

turbo addict

I have the same setup in my Daytona only that it is balanced and the vibration is very minimal. Only at idle, not at cruise. I wouldn't tolerate much more rattle than what it is either.

Hybrid booster

I had the same thing happen with a shadow I had. I had to take the change out of the ash tray it rattled so bad. I think some of the vendors sell stock mounts.

No vibration at all in my RT with solid mounts and no b.s. Bobble strut making the engine sit funny?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3Iroc View Post
    I'd put a stock style bobble strut in first and if the dash still rattles then you can put in a stock style mount on the pass side. Johnny also has a way to mod the pass mount on his site by drilling holes in the lower corners but then you can't put it back.
    I found the front mount makes more of a difference than the side mount. I put another vendors front mount in my friends base auto minivan with no bs's, shook the dash out and the vibration, so I put a stocker back in, fine.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

boostaholic

The bobble strut is the only thing that hasnt been changed, so it is stock. My dad removed the chain in his R/T and it seems fine, so it must be poly mounts in my car.

Change the front one and see what happens.

I'll take your PB mounts

Will send you my non-PB, probably stock ones

boostaholic

Sorry, I can still use them on my 16v hybrid spirit I'm building as my race car.

Hybrid booster

After the poly front mount was installed the vibration was pretty bad on my R/T, so, I installed what I call a "hydro" mount on the right side. It came off a 3.3L Dynasty. The mount has no voids and something along the lines of glycerin inside. The addition of this mount and centering the powertrain greatly reduced the vibration at idle. Now I have a vibration @ 50mph in 5th, but after 48,000 miles of DD it's not so bad.

John

boostaholic

Where do you get one of those mounts at? I saw polybushings sells a mount that is a stock mount and the voids are filled with polly.