Thread: Stereo Questions Galore!

Hybrid booster

Stereo Questions Galore!

Ok,
    #1 does anyone rebuild the self amplified chrysler infinity speakers?

#2 I just picked up an 85 turbo z, all the speakers and deck are gone and of course the plugs in the dash are all hacked up, joy! Does anyone have the wiring diagrams for this? I have the 88 service books, but wasn't sure if anything is different at all.

#3 I've got several chrysler stereo's lying around, one is the ultimate sound unit from an 88, the one with two knobs and ambiance control, and the other is a much later cd/cassette combo. Is the newer one more powerful at all? I know the old one is 36 watts total. I plan on just getting some aftermarket speakers and the adapter plugs and wonder which one might drive some infinity's from crutchfield or someplace better. I see that some of the new infinity speakers are 2 ohm, will that mess with the chrysler decks?

Re: Stereo Questions Galore!

I don't know of anyone that overhauls the infinity speakers. If I had to guess I'd say most of them have damaged voicecoils anyways making them not really worth fixing. The radio plugs are the same between 85 and 88. I'm not sure if the newer decks have anymore power than the old ones, but lower impedance speakers (2ohm) will make the amp work harder possibly causing premature failure.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Hybrid booster

thanks for the thoughts, so do you think that the deck would be happier dealing with a line level input amp, that I can use to power the speakers?

Your best bet would be to hit the yard and pick up a harness from another car. The dodge harnesses were the same until the 2002 area Just match the colors up. I've had to do this on a few cars. Once you have the factory harness in there you can get the correct aftermarket plug to install a aftermarket radio or install a factory one. I'm sure you could send out the amps somewhere to get repaired but most places are going to charge an arm and a leg and it really wouldn't be worth it for a 20 year old speaker.

Hybrid booster

I intend to find the factory harness, did it before for my shelby z. I have tried to get the amps fixed before, but no one wants to look at them (cause chrysler put alot of epoxy stuff over them)...just thought maybe someone here did fix them.

My big thing is finding out what a factory deck can deal with, I want the car to look original, but need to know what the factory deck can deal with speaker or amps wise.

the factory deck wont power much, even the newer ones. Dont run the 2ohms speakers on it, it will burn up. Pioneer, phoenix gold, or alpine have good door speakers. I never cared much for infinity anyways. I wouldnt even mess with the amps, they are like 15watts. I would just put a small 4channel under the seat or something.

Hybrid booster

So my question is this...can the stereo deck deal with a 4 channel amp that use line level inputs? or will that make it unhappy too? I have seen a few decent pioneer 4 channel amps that I could stick under the seat or hide away someplace.

it should be ok, keep in mind its not going to sound as good as an aftermarket deck, or use on of these http://www.davidnavone.com/cart.asp?24&cat=7 sbout the best

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Lots of guys on the TC Masi list have used the stock harness with the four wire speaker leads. Just use the center two wires (of the four) to a standard speaker and you're fine The later mini van head units with CD player will give you a factory look...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

boostaholic

The Pick your part in Sun Valley has 2 Tonas, 1 84 + 1 85. Both pretty much complete.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

Several years ago the radio plugs were availiable aftermarket. Check online. It was the same plug as the factory harness with several inches of wiring. I used one of these when I added an amplifier / equilizer to the factory radio in my caravan. I would just get an aftermarket head unit and aftermarket speakers. I replaced my infinity's in my caravan with cheap Pyle 6x9's and Pyle 5" components up front. I dont think I spent $70 for both sets and they sound a lot better than the old infinity's
    Justin
    84 Plymouth Voyager LE 2.5 Intercooled Turbo 5-spd - Only 84 Turbo Van!
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    91 Dodge Shadow Convertible 2.5 Intercooled Turbo A555 5-spd
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.8 supercharged! Only 5K miles....
    01 Subaru Forester - Daily Driver
    07 Yamaha FJR 1300 140+ HP on 2 wheels
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    94 Bobcat 763 Skidloader 2.2 Kubota Diesel
    SV-SDAC Member

Hybrid booster

I don't mind aftermarket speakers, infact that is the plan, as well as a good amp. As for head unit, I really dislike aftermarket stereos, I can't ever figure them out, and they are too blingy looking. I want the car to look original, plus people won't most likely steel a factory 80's chrysler deck.

So for the turbo z the plan is to use a factory ultimate sound deck, wired to a 4 channel speaker level input amp, and then to some infinity components in the front, and 5x7's in the back.

As for the infinity system in my shelby z's, one car has working speakers , the others are toast. I'll probably end up doing something similar to it. As for the working infinity system, if you take in it's age and all, it was a decent system in it's day....sounds pretty good to me. (I'm young, but never needed insane base)

If you like the factory look, try one of the factory CD/cassette models like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

Most people picking through the junkyards glance in the vehicles, see the cassette, and leave it alone...the CD is hard to notice so chances it will get stolen are slim. Karl and I found 3 last weekend! Got mine out of a 98 minivan and it plugged right into the stock harness...a 5 minute swap!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

I have one of those! But it's going in my Shelby The one for the turbo z looks like this but is all black.
    Z.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by butchsuppe View Post
    The Pick your part in Sun Valley has 2 Tonas, 1 84 + 1 85. Both pretty much complete.
    Thanks, I was there yesterday and got a bunch of the odd trim stuff I needed that was missing on my car. The 85 was the same build date as mine 12-84. And it was black too, how odd.

Garrett booster

great thread! - will the later model deck also work in the 89 caravan harness?

if it has 2 plugs on the deck and is square not rounded it will