Thread: Minature Welder for small parts?

Minature Welder for small parts?

Is there such a thing? I was going to get a welder, but I'd like to start out with some small stuff and I think a small welder would be best suited. Besides it will let me get some practice.

Anyone know of something like this? I tried searching the web and found a couple of things, but I couldn't tell if the kits were for oxy-acetylene or what.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: Minature Welder for small parts?

I'm buying a miller 211 next week. its on the smaller end but should work well for everything on these cars.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Darkapollo's Avatar

Hit up your local Lowes or HomeDepot or Tractor Supply. They usually have a selection of small 110/120v Arc/Mig welders.

Well I'm looking for a welder to do like stuff as small as like trim pieces. The Miller 211 is like $1000 or something? I was looking for something like almost desktop size, if they make anything. That's what I was looking for. Is this possible?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Darkapollo's Avatar

Any small welder will be able to do small items such as trim pieces. its all in the size of the wire and amp setting

Quote Originally Posted by Darkapollo View Post
    Hit up your local Lowes or HomeDepot or Tractor Supply. They usually have a selection of small 110/120v Arc/Mig welders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkapollo View Post
    Any small welder will be able to do small items such as trim pieces. its all in the size of the wire and amp setting
    Well that answers my question then! Thanks DApollo!

turbo addict

????

turbo addict

TIG is your friend when it comes to small welding....$$

Cool! Thanks guys and I would love to learn the TIG method vs using a MIG. I need to budget out what I can get.

boostaholic

I learned to weld with this and use it all the time

http://www.lexington-explorer.com/ad...nterprises.htm

very versitile, uses very little gas, it can do aluminum (I'm not that good yet but have had good results) plus you can set it up to cut like a plasma cutter
    (also tricky but works)

for really small stuff, I think you have to go to Tig

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishcleaner View Post
    I learned to weld with this and use it all the time

http://www.lexington-explorer.com/ad...nterprises.htm

very versitile, uses very little gas, it can do aluminum (I'm not that good yet but have had good results) plus you can set it up to cut like a plasma cutter
    (also tricky but works)

for really small stuff, I think you have to go to Tig
    That's an interesting little unit! Gas, eh? Didn't think you could do AL with gas due to contamination...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

I've got a Henrob too. Very kewl, and it does weld nicly and cuts GREAT, but still no TIG.

boostaholic

Gas has the added benifit of being able to heat parts to bend but its not as fast as using a mig

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

don't get a harbor freight. It works great except the wire feed speed, which I think is the most important part of a MIG. Its not very consistent.
    i probably should open mine up and look at the wiring, see if I can improve the wiring to the wire feed. it likes to bog down and then go and then bog, repeat.

Garrett booster

Just watch your local craiglist and wait until you can find a nice one for a good price. You are going to want a good quality welder, especially if you plan on welding anything thin(below .040") or any material other than mild steel. If I were you, I would definatley wait and go with a good TIG unit. This is the way I see it, if you spend 1500 on a good unit and you use it once a month for 5 years, your only paying 25 dollars a month.... chances are, by the time your done with it, you will have averaged more than once a month of use, believe me, once you get a welder, you(or your friends) will always find something for you to weld up...lol. Also if you get a TIG unit, you can do almost anything...I picked up a miller 180SD for 500 and I can TIG, ARC, and MIG.