Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Free 87 New Yorker

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Project Free 87 New Yorker

Well, i just dragged home yet another project. I got it in trade for some scrap car carcasses i had parted out. It has no keys and a broken out window and no background info, so no idea what im getting into.

I actually already have one of these, and im probly not going to be keeping it long, hoping to trade it to a friend when i get it going well enough..

87 log 2.2 turbo new yorker.

Here's some pics.

Last edited by Vigo; 08-11-2009 at 08:37 PM.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Dragged home another one..

'87 New Yorker!? Awesome! SDAC-Chicago needs another one! What kinda cheap trades you looking for!?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

87 new yorker is the only TD I have ever driven, and it broke down. stupid digital gas gauge.

turbo addict

hey looks just like mine. Or what mine looked like when I bought it. Now it's rolling on Shelby Suspension and GT Lebaron wheels. Nice T2 swap and you have a low 14 second car graingered to 14psi.

It runs on starter fluid. I think it needs a fuel pump. Didnt have tools so thats as far as i've gotten so far...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    It runs on starter fluid. I think it needs a fuel pump. Didnt have tools so thats as far as i've gotten so far...
    don't rule out clogged filter or line if the car has been sitting with fuel in the tank for a long time.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Nice find, a little old lady has one of those in my area. I tried to get it off her but to no avail. BTW it's MINT

I cant hear the pump running at all. But i do hear the stupid compressor for the air shocks running non stop. lol.

turbo addict

Check the wiring in the back too. Those yorkers have issues with sender connections.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

So today i put the fuel pump out of my 89 turbo donor van in the new yorker and got it running.

I also used the ignition lock cylinder from the van since this car didnt come with a key.

It still needs a driver window, LR tail light, FL strut, a key for the door cylinders, and a good cleaning.

But at least i drove it down the road @ 7psi for my efforts. W00t

I did some more work on the new yorker on friday. I put a drivers window in it and fixed the power windows on both front doors by scrounging used gears for the window motors. The driver side broke again after a while so i might actually have to spend $19 on a new gear kit if i cant scrounge more of those pucks/gears.

I made the key i have work in the door lock by taking out the tumblers. So now the keys out of my parts van work for both the door and ignition. The trunk lock is messed up but it has an internal pull to open it anyway.

I also put an extra wide radiator from my limo in it. Clearance near the alternator is very tight but it hasnt broken yet. The radiator that was in it was fine but i wanted it for my limo so i could move it over and run intercooler piping on the drivers side like i did with my aries (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...t=34580&page=2), so i put the big limo one in here. I figure more cooling cant hurt an unintercooled car.

Turns out the taillights on my 85 are completely different, even down to the bolt pattern, so i need to go to a junkyard and grab a taillight still.

i replaced both locked up front struts with ones i already had that are NOT locked up. Now it rides like buttah.
    I also lubed up the door lock mechanisms on the two front doors and stuck a stock resonator from my dynasty's cast-off stock exhaust in to plug up the exhaust where the cat used to be. It slowed the car back down to where it started. It HAD been noticeably quicker with open downpipe after i cut the cat out (rent money lol).

I wanna buy one of those cable-actuated 2 1/4 cutout pipes that are like $40.

Still havent put a boost controller on it. Seems like the exhaust is such a restriction itd be pointless to raise the boost before addressing that.

Big thanks to Strax22 for helping me out with it. Its a pretty decent car now. If i get that window permanently fixed and put a taillight on it, i might even get it legal and start driving it.

turbo addict

They drive great don't they! My great uncle bought one of these new and it was kept in a garage with a sealed floor its whole life. It was blue and fully loaded with the voice and all. It had already been sold off and he had passed away before I knew anything.. Shame I couldn't have more to remember him by.. Anyhow sounds like an excellent save especially down in TX! Rust free ftw.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Garrett booster

You didn't get that hot baby blue Ford Tempo? Man...I bet that's a sweet ride !

Nice New Yorker...glad you saved it from the crusher...these are becoming rare cars.

Well, ive had this thing running for a while, but havent driven it much. I cut the cat and ran open downpipe up and down the street a while back, HUGE improvement. Hooked the rest of the exhaust back up with a piece of pipe.. back to crap.

However, its motivation!

So im piecing together an exhaust with bends i already have, keeping the stock 2.25 downpipe, and i scored a good (real good) deal on a stage2 cal so i should be moving along pretty well shortly.. trbowgn just ran 15.4 with more weight and a udp, so i think i should be able to about equal that if all goes well.

I also worked on the power windows a bit and got a key to work in it. Stupid driver window repair has already failed, but i will re-repair it reel guud this time

Still need to transfer the title and get it legal. Im still up about 6$ overall on this project. Yes that's right. I have sold the cat, bought a taillight, and i am still UP $6 on this free turbo car

Hybrid booster

That is true TM right there still up $6 after all that work. That looks like it is going to be a fun cruiser. Your Limo sounds pretty sweet too, Have you ever weighed the limo?
    KO, 86 T&C Turbo II 89 Daytona Shelby 84 Stingray SVB165SS

not yet! i probably wont weigh it until it hits the dragstrip, and if that happens like.. this year, id be a little surprised. However, ill gladly offer wild speculation... just under 3400 lbs. a new yorker weighs under 3000 and the limo is basically a new yorker with an extra foot in the middle. I seriously doubt its over 3400. My short caravan with no back seats weighed 3040.

Hybrid booster

Ok so you should be able to have a limo in the 14's with a mild turbo II build. That is cool,
    What are your goals with the limo?
    KO, 86 T&C Turbo II 89 Daytona Shelby 84 Stingray SVB165SS

mostly for it to be presentable and clean. My friend and I are going to build a custom console in the back and use a modded xbox as a game/media player with a flip down screen, but other than that i just want it to be 'nice' which means the whole car needs to be redone, lol. Tons of work.

For power.. right now im just gonna use stuff i have laying around, which i guess = mild t2. 2.5 w/mitsu and 1pc on stock injectors with a probe intercooler, auto tranny, and probly ~14psi. I dont expect it to run 14s like that but im optimistic that it will surprise me I never knew a stock motor w/mitsu could feel so fast until i put togeter my aries..

This new yorker, on other hand.. I just want it to run 15s. I actually plan on selling it to make some money, but the exhaust and cal i will keep and stick on my other new yorker when i sell this one. For now i just want to enjoy it some before i flip it. IF someone from the forum wanted to get it from me, itd probly be under $500

turbo addict

so have you checked if this is a talking new yorker?
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

oh yes, it is! I NEVER FORGET MY KEYS!!! lol.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast