Thread: Daytona body lines

Daytona body lines

I'm an absolute fan of the Daytona, and really like the example in these pics. But, what I'm wondering is if anyone has looked at the lines of a Daytona, and thought that the window sill was low? What I mean is, the fender flows back in a nice arc towards the spoiler, but the window just drops out in the middle of it all

Screwing around with a paint program, I attempted to create some sort of door skin or filler panel to blend in with the body lines. Obviously something would have to be done about the side mirror and moldings, etc.

I guess I was just wondering if anyone had ever thought about customizing a set of doors to raise the sill...
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Daytona body lines

I've noticed that too Paul, but I kind of like it as it is somewhat unique so it makes the cars stand out.... Chevy Beretta's also did this, but not sure of any others?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

it's more obvious on t-top cars because of the black trim. hardtop cars are not as much, but yes the window is a bit lower than the fender and body line.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

The sill is at a perfect height when you have you arm on it. I've owned 3 and I wouldn't change a thing.

A.J.

Garrett booster

It seems like most cars have tiny windows these days. I'm not really sure why, but I'd guess it's a safety thing. I'm not a fan of tiny windows and a ton of metal and paint. It's overkill.

turbo addict

it seems like it would make a cool daytona but how do u make the mirror and trim fit..

turbo addict

It is a safety thing. I really don't enjoy newer cars because you can't hang your arm out the window as well. I had a 2002 Monte Carlo SS that I really enjoyed. It had a moon roof and with all of that open it was fun, except with your arm on the window sill your elbow was at the same height as your forehead... and I'm 6'2".

Rather than raising the sill, I think I'd rather see the entire rest of the car some down to that level. Drop the hood and the rear, then chop the top about the same amount. Short, squat, low center of gravity.... sounds like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyturbo View Post
    it's more obvious on t-top cars because of the black trim. hardtop cars are not as much, but yes the window is a bit lower than the fender and body line.
    Exactly. Just paint it monochrome and it won't be as noticeable.

Besides, try putting your arm out the window in the second pic. It wouldn't be comfortable.

Everyone has made good points...was just wondering if anyone else had ever thought about the window. Maybe some time in the (very distant) future I'll try to mock something up.

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    Besides, try putting your arm out the window in the second pic. It wouldn't be comfortable.
    I agree it would be uncomfortable...but when has comfort ever gotten in the way of style?
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    I agree it would be uncomfortable...but when has comfort ever gotten in the way of style?
    Ah, touché.

turbo addict

I guess this is more of what I had in mind.

gone crazy Turbo Mopar Contributor J&H Ryan's Avatar

I've always thought that like the OP. After being in a few cars with a high beltline (even my S2000 is a bit high) it gets old after awhile. Feels like you're a midget in a bucket.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ