Thread: ABS repair on Cavalier

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

ABS repair on Cavalier

New thread, same car.

Never ever worked on a faulty ABS before. This would be a good opportunity for me to learn. 1999 Cavalier. Brake light and ABS light is on. ABS does not work. Right rear brake wants to grab before the others. The last symptom could just be a need for a brake job. I'll be checking that within the next couple days.

Also, the ETS Off light is illuminated. Enhanced Traction System apparently. Assume that works off of ABS signals.

Where to begin???

boostaholic

Re: ABS repair on Cavalier

Check out this site, lots of great info http://www.aa1car.com/index_alphabetical.htm

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

You need a scanner to read the codes and look at data otherwise you'll never be able to fix it.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

9 out of 10 times when then red brk light is on with the ABS light the problem is an hydaulic one. Could even be low brk fluid, Inspect the entire HYDUALIC SYS FIRST. The ABS codes cover the electric components in the sys. Chances are once you fix the hydaulic problem the ABS light will go out. If this is the case disconnect the batt to clear the codes .The old Ford Aerostar would put the ABS light on if it had a burnt out brk. light. Also if it has drum brks in the rr make sure their adjusted. Bare in mind if the whl cyl has to travel to far this is effecting the hydaulic sys. Good luck

I'll be tearing into it tomorrow. Right rear brake locks up real easy - roads are still mostly snow covered. Gonna pull the brakes apart and replace whatever is worn then I'll take it over to Oreilly's and have the ABS codes scanned.

Thought. When pulling the head off, I unplugged a log of stuff under the intake manifold. Wonder if I missed plugging back in a speed sensor on the transaxle or something.

turbo addict

as a former owner of a 95 z24 with abs (first year for that newer body I believe.) I would start by lighting it on fire.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous_User View Post
    I'll be tearing into it tomorrow. Right rear brake locks up real easy - roads are still mostly snow covered. Gonna pull the brakes apart and replace whatever is worn then I'll take it over to Oreilly's and have the ABS codes scanned.

Thought. When pulling the head off, I unplugged a log of stuff under the intake manifold. Wonder if I missed plugging back in a speed sensor on the transaxle or something.
    If the brakes aren't worn out, just do a clean and adjust. GM rear drum brakes like to do that when they are dirty and out of adjustment.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    as a former owner of a 95 z24 with abs (first year for that newer body I believe.) I would start by lighting it on fire.
    Thats freakin' HY LARRY RE US.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    Thats not just because its a GM, you are a closet pyro!!!!
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Rear shoes were shot. New shoes, hardware, drums. Brakes work much better now. Double checked wiring connections from head gasket swap. Found out Oreilly's does not scan ABS codes. Gonna hafta call around tomorrow.