Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slicks - size and type?

Hybrid booster

Slicks - size and type?

Ok, with the season approaching, im looking to get some slicks this year. I'd like to get some advice for size and make/cost. id like to run the 15" steelies i got now as im too poor to get some 16"s or something.

Am i looking at a 24-24.5" slick and how wide can i go on the 15x6 steel rim?

im assuming a pair is around $300 or so (unless someone has some used ones in Ohio for cheaper... )

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Slicks - size and type?

There really arent any 16" slicks in sizes we can use.

What vehicle is this going on? And are you on stock-type suspension?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

oh, yeah, details lol

92 P-body 5 speed, 5 lug
    24v V6 3.0
    ~200whp
    coilover front suspension (rear is stock w/ KYBs all round)
    poly A arm bushings
    poly motor mounts
    solid bobble strut
    OBX LSD
    4-puck clutch and HD PP

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

not something close to the ~24" 195/60/15 stock sized tires (or 215/60/15s i was running for summers)?

whats the reasoning behind a smaller tire in slicks?

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    These are what I run on my GLH.
    But I have an auto with .91 transfer gears, thats why I run a shorter tire.
    1.8 60'

Hybrid booster

im just wondering why id want a smaller tire with a 3.77 FD A543 when i can smoke some Nitto 215/60/15s fairly easily off the line. wouldn't a 24ish tire keep me from spinning as much as a 23" tire?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow24 View Post
    im just wondering why id want a smaller tire with a 3.77 FD A543 when i can smoke some Nitto 215/60/15s fairly easily off the line. wouldn't a 24ish tire keep me from spinning as much as a 23" tire?
    You need wider rims and spacers, or diffferent rims to run 24's.

http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?...on=show_detail

You can't compare street tires to slicks. I did some racing on my street tires, couldn't leave on an boost, put my slicks on, I could then launch with 10 psi.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

hmmm, i contacted M&H a while back and the rep mentioned a "tall rollout" tire that would fit the 15x6s and be close to a 24 inch tire (forgot i did that lol) now would it be advisable to find something i can stick a 24" slick on instead of the "tall rollout"?

EDIT: not to mention currently im clearing the traps at nearly 7000rpms in 3rd on the Nittos...

Slicks and street tires are apples and oranges. Chances are you are not going to spin either a 23" or a 24.5" slick. But if you would like to stick closer to your current effective "gear" ratio, go with 24.5" slick. If you think a little more "gear" would help you out, go with the 23".

If you go with the 24.5 x 8.5 x 15, or 23 x 8.5 x 15 you might want to consider finding a 7" wide wheel. If you go with the 23 x 7 x 15, stick with the 15x6.
    Last edited by contraption22; 02-17-2009 at 04:35 PM.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Chances are you are not going to spin either a 23" or a 24.5" slick. But if you would like to stick closer to your current effective "gear" ratio, go with 24.5" slick. If you think a little more "gear" would help you out, go with the 23".
    the 15x6.
    not sure quite how this works... are you saying stay towards 24" if i dont want to hit 4th at the line?

i was originally shifting earlier and hitting 4th, but it was killing my time, dragging each gear to 7000 or so and not hitting 4th brought me from consistent 15.1-15.0s to consistent 14.8s (with 2.2-2.3 60' on both) 3rd seems a bit tall ATM, but that was also on the really rich 189whp tune i had earlier...

not sure quite how this works... are you saying stay towards 24" if i dont want to hit 4th at the line?
    Yup, but if you would like to get more out of 4th gear, go with the shorter tire.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Hybrid booster

ok, that makes sense. takes some of the multiplication out of the gearing. Would it be worth it to run the 23s considering id probably have to hit 4th prior to the line? i guess im asking if the 23s would provide better acceleration and make up for the additional shift and reduction in MPH in each gear

Hybrid booster

Also, IIRC Ondonti is running 24.5x8s on 15x6 rims...(i could be wrong though)

I'm only going by what the people that make the slicks recommend. So far, what they have recommended has worked for me 100% of the time.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Hybrid booster

i know what you mean, i just don't want to drop that kind of cash and have it be the wrong tire being poor sucks lol

i know what you mean, i just don't want to drop that kind of cash and have it be the wrong tire being poor sucks lol
    Oh I hear ya.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

You can do alot of things that work but your not getting the full benefit. If you run a stock wheel, you can't run 24's without a spacer otherwise the tire will hit the strut. 22's clear using stock TM wheels, 23's I heard do, 24's, not so much.

Are you planning anymore mods, if not, I would stick with the shorter tire and use 4th, your probably losing some time by winding out the engine. If you can get on a dyno, you can see where your power drops off and get the tire that suits that powerband. It could be 7000 rpm in 3rd is the best setup, so then tire for that,

I am having the same dilema, either go 24.5 or 26,

turbo addict

Yeah, 24.5x8 on a 15x6 pt steelie fits with no spacer.

My personal 24.5's on some VW RIM need spacers and positive camber to fit

You have coilovers too but the rubbing problem is side clearance, not perch clearance. you could run 26's and I cant :P

Hybrid booster

ahh i see. so it IS possible

btw, heres the 189whp dyno graph, i know winding out 3rd isn't where the power is but results dont lie, .2-.3 off of a consistent time says alot. Although my 60' sucks. supposed output for this motor is 205(c)hp@5500 and 205(c)tq@4500, i havent had it re-dynoed or tuned really, but it is more around 13:1 instead of 10:1-7:1 at WOT so i should have more power

as for more mods, the M90 supercharger i have is in the works

I way look at the 24.5x8s if they fit a stock suspension ok and i have coilovers with more room (also leaves room for more power without re-specing the slick size)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast