Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: GRM $2009 Dodge Aries project - EVENT COVERAGE W/ PICS

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

GRM $2009 Dodge Aries W/ MAGAZINE PICS!!

So some of you may have heard off-hand mention of the fact that myself and a local guy i recently met decided to go in on making my old Aries into a Grassroots Motorsports Magazine $2009 Challenge car. If you've never heard of that event, you have $2009 (this year) to buy, build, and race any car in the event. It's one of the most interesting competitions out there to me, since the rules are pretty wide open. There are also a few people on this forum who've entered turbo dodges in past years, but I havent talked to any of them about it yet. We're going in blind! lol.

The car is my 89 Dodge Aries. I bought the thing way back in the day for $100 as a 2.2 tbi auto with a thrown rod. It's an LE, no options other than front buckets. Its been through a lot of renditions with various parts i had laying around. It stayed tbi the whole time but ended up being a lightly modded 2.5 tbi with a 555 that ran 17.0 and got me 27-29mpg as a daily beater. Eventually i took the motor out to put into my current daily driver 2.5/523 caravan (27-33mpg!!!) and it sat for a good long while.

When i met Mason, he brought up the GRM challenge and i immediately offered that i had a car and a bunch of parts laying around, and we decided to use the Aries. When we started i had put it back together as a 2.5tbi/auto that was just complete enough to drive it around the yard (because i have to play musical cars with my collection whenever i have to move something).

Pretty much immediately we found an 89 turbo caravan on craigslist for fairly cheap. It had 250k miles and tranny issues but it ran and drove and included such niceties as a big Evo intercooler and piping, 1g dsm bov, TurboXS mbc, and some pretty huge tires that i put on my cousin's dynasty to make it look like a 4x4. I ended up paying $450 for the thing.

We did a compression test on the motor and got decent numbers (130 140 140 140) and decided to use it (250k!) so we tore down the van and the aries and got to work!!

So Mason (strax22 here) and I have put a few days into the car so far. Today, we finished adapting and tidying up the harness from the minivan and got the thing running! It moved out of the carport under its own power.

Here's some progress pics.

This is the Aries before we started.

Sorry, no before pics on the van. Its ugly.. who cares? Mason is enthusiastic.

I dont work ON cars, i work IN cars. But you can't pick me up off a streetcorner (except by appointment).

Minivan engine/tranny comes out. Messy...

Here i demonstrate the ONE AND ONLY use for a 7mm 6pt box-end wrench: Fixing a stuck governor.

How do you disconnect the bulkhead connector? With a PRYBAR, a 1/2" IMPACT, and a TWO FOOT EXTENSION. Thats how i roll!

Aries engine comes out.
    http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/k...Movie_0001.flv
    Aries engine/tranny moves over.

In with the new. Stole the crabs for my neon!

Adapting turbo-van wiring harness.

R.I.Pieces, tbi harness.

New harness all tidied up.
    http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/k...rent=Movie.flv
    It runs! Yay!

Moved out of the carport under its own power. Like a baby's first steps!

More info when im not burnt out on making posts...
    Last edited by Vigo; 02-23-2010 at 01:57 PM.

Re: GRM $2009 Dodge Aries project

It's an awesome event...see you there in October!

Sounds like a good project! With 2K you should be able to make that thing scream!
    2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Mods coming soon!

Well we're only in it about $550 so far, and i havent sold anything off the turbo van we took apart yet.

The aries already is setup for a 520/555, has 10.5" rear discs on a daytona ES axle thats welded, 10.25 minivan front brakes, 94 cast arm k-member, etc. Got a 520 for it, havent decided on clutch yet. Other misc stuff has yet to go on.

Garrett booster

Looks great man! Assuming things go well, I hope to have my Aries down at the challenge as well. I haven't done all of my math, but I think I'm at about $1000 right now. I have to be somewhat cautious, however, since the car is also going to be a daily driver.
    Last edited by g0bbledeeg00k; 02-16-2009 at 12:02 AM. Reason: typo

Garrett booster

Heh, that first pic makes it look like something found on a big game reservation.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

That's awesome man, I just started getting grm magazine, I'll look for you in it! (I already recognize Pat's shadow)

And g0bbledeeg00k, I've been meaning to tell you, if you ever sell that Aries that you have in your sig, I want dibs!

That thing is sweet! I love the color.

Seriously, let me know if you ever are going to move it, ok?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor j4278h's Avatar

Don't get burnt out already, I'm coming down in three days and its rip and tear season on some rampages and one unfortunate daytona.

Seriously if you need something for the aires hit me up before tuesday afternoon so I can get it loaded in the truck.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by MNmopar View Post
    And g0bbledeeg00k, I've been meaning to tell you, if you ever sell that Aries that you have in your sig, I want dibs!

That thing is sweet! I love the color.

Seriously, let me know if you ever are going to move it, ok?
    Thanks dude ! I'll keep you in mind, but I don't have any plans to sell it. Come down to Gainesville and check it out in October

That's really cool. Two turbo aries at one event.. Turbo swapped aries are fairly rare! I think its because people dont realize they only weigh 2500 lbs. lighter than a 2door P body even.

Jason, other than the cylinder head you mentioned, i cant think of much else we could use that we wont have to buy new, like a clutch and gaskets, bushings, etc. If you have some used rear konis we might talk about that..

For clarification, we have a garrett thats going on it, a big front sway bar, and pretty much ALL the suspension is getting replaced, though i wont say by what until i know it works.

Theres a 2 1/4 straight through side exit exhaust currently on the car with only a glasspack. Not sure how or if we intend to upgrade that. I figure we need to buy the pricey items first and see what the budget looks like later. I know people have run 12s on 2 1/4 pipes before.

Im hoping our car will be strongest in autoX, then drag, then concours (i cringe at what that last will take).

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Great progress so far I look forward to more updates
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

I would like to know what is the condidtion on the Mini Van ?
    Is there any RUST ? Especially on the Sliding door or the rear hatch ?

Let me know
    Chuck

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mcsvt View Post
    Great progress so far I look forward to more updates
    +1 on this

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    That's really cool. Two turbo aries at one event.. Turbo swapped aries are fairly rare! I think its because people dont realize they only weigh 2500 lbs. lighter than a 2door P body even.

Jason, other than the cylinder head you mentioned, i cant think of much else we could use that we wont have to buy new, like a clutch and gaskets, bushings, etc. If you have some used rear konis we might talk about that..

For clarification, we have a garrett thats going on it, a big front sway bar, and pretty much ALL the suspension is getting replaced, though i wont say by what until i know it works.

Theres a 2 1/4 straight through side exit exhaust currently on the car with only a glasspack. Not sure how or if we intend to upgrade that. I figure we need to buy the pricey items first and see what the budget looks like later. I know people have run 12s on 2 1/4 pipes before.

Im hoping our car will be strongest in autoX, then drag, then concours (i cringe at what that last will take).
    Just ditch the exhaust completely...less weight and you don't need it. Run an open downpipe for the event.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG PSI View Post
    I would like to know what is the condidtion on the Mini Van ?
    Is there any RUST ? Especially on the Sliding door or the rear hatch ?

Let me know
    Chuck
    Not sure of your intentions either, but if it's going to the yard I could use a few pieces too. My van was the unfortunate victim of a drunk driver. It could use the aluminum trim piece that's attached along the driver's side behind the door. Also the aluminum trim piece that surrounds the rear driver's wheelwell.

If it could be sent to 61360 for a reasonable price I'd love to have it. But if it's too much trouble, I understand...don't worry about it
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    Not sure of your intentions either, but if it's going to the yard I could use a few pieces too. My van was the unfortunate victim of a drunk driver. It could use the aluminum trim piece that's attached along the driver's side behind the door. Also the aluminum trim piece that surrounds the rear driver's wheelwell.

If it could be sent to 61360 for a reasonable price I'd love to have it. But if it's too much trouble, I understand...don't worry about it
    I just need a good hatch and a good slider.......
    Still waiting on response.....

Chuck

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post

I was kind of thinking the same for my car. I'm not actually going to do anything major to the body or paint. I might replace that piece of missing trim on the rear door and try to straighten out a slight dent in the roof. Other than that, I'm just going to leave it as is and keep it clean. I'll, most likely, leave the steel wheels on there as is, too. I'm not thinking I will actually have much of a shot at any of the awards (but you never know I guess) so I'm just going to do what I can by then, drive it down, and just have fun.

I am going to take Pat's advice and run an open downpipe at the event. My car has a 3" downpipe, a straight through MagnaFlow, about 18" of pipe and a turndown. Even as minimal as that is, I will be cutting it before the muffler and reconnecting it with a band-style clamp to make it easy to remove whenever. Also, I have been told that if it's not on the car while competing, it doesn't count toward your budget .

Your project looks great! Good luck with everything and I'll see you in Gainesville in October!

Paul, I believe i have those parts in decent condition, but i have to check and wont see the van again til wednesday.

Chuck, the van has no rust but the sliding door is damaged. The hatch is fine, but id actually like to keep it closed up so im not really open to selling doors. However, there are PLENTY of rust free hatches and doors in the yards down here and id be happy to do the legwork of getting them for you and to you for a reasonable price. Im basically working as a self-employed mechanic so work like that fits into my life beautifully. PM me if you are interested.

I have a 2.5" downpipe i can throw on by itself if we decide not to use the exhaust that on there...

turbo addict

heh, I should enter my new yorker, $250 for the car, Got paid $100 to put in a 89/90 front suspension setup and it's 11" brake system, J-yard 2 piece intake and factory rad/ic setup. Rebuilt J-yard mexicn CB with JE's for $1000. hmm what could I do with the extra $859.

turbo addict

Pick up used brake rotors from something small, weld a bit of steel tube between them, drill three holes in each, voila, ghetto strut bar. Might even be able to just hammer the tube flat or use square tube and bolt them together thru' the wheel stud holes.

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast