Thread: Ford Freestar

Ford Freestar

HI guys

i am interested in buying a 2004 ford freestar se with 65000 miles on the odometer. it has the 4.2 v6. Are there any issues i should be aware of? My co workers are telling me the moment i buy it the transmission fall out or break on this thing, any truth to that?

Reason for a ford is i have noticed they cost much less to buy that their Gm and chrysler counter parts. For this particular van. the dealer is asking $4860
    what about the ford focus wagon and taurus wagon?

thanks for your help.
    bernie

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: Ford Freestar

My neighbor had a Freestar (and all the prior Ford minivans) and the transmission on the Freestar went out with no warning about a year ago. Dont remember the exact mileage when it happend. Was under 100k and dealer maintained since new.

Absolutely NO help from the dealer or Ford when it happend. Told'em to pound sand.

So they fixed it and then dumped it shortly after. Ford lost a very loyal customer when that happend. She bought a Chrysler Sebring and loves it.
    Last edited by 135sohc; 02-02-2009 at 01:34 AM.

wow, quite the raw deal there, especially with todays market! I mean ford needs to sell and keep customers! Are their dealers not worried about ford's sub $2 stock shares? I suppose this is why fords tend to have a given lower market value. A 4 year old van with 65K for under 5K, would have to have it draw back i suppose. I dont need to have a tranny fail on me.. Nobody does, but if its a chronic issue-with no remidy, then i'll pass on it. Its really too bad, it looked like a smart van. As though ford was *trying* to do it right this time around with the freestar. Thanks for the heads up 135ohc.

bernie

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

All of that happend prior to TSHTF with Ford and everyone else. I think they would be a little more helpful now.

turbo addict

main problem its a ford
    go for a dodge or Chrysler van we got one its a 96 and its great
    looks better then any van ford ever made and more reliable
    u can get a good deal on one just gotta shop around

I have a tremendous fear of chrysler 4 speed auto transmissions. Reading up on its history on allpar and wiki i have to wonder about their reliability with all those revisions to the trannys computer over the years. I know iacocca forced the tranny into production too early, and many people have always thought dextron was the fluid of choice, and that DexIII should be the same as ATF +3, but i just know the moment i get a chryco auto, something bad is going to happen. So its because of this that i have stayed away from owning a chrysler mini.. id buy one with a 3spd in a heart beat though

Regarding the Ford, i know this is a mopar forum, but i know the people on here are open minded and wouldnt just bash a particular car or truck just because of its nameplate, so it isnt looking good for the ford. It just seems like a really good deal- "too good" i guess would be the phrase to use.

Bernie

turbo addict

look up the Chrysler vans in Europe they all got manual trans i wanna get one shipped!
    all the 96 - 08s have them

Hybrid booster

This freestar has the latest and most updated version of the trans. It's a 4F50N, basically a beefed up version of the AX4N Taurus transmission. It should be pretty sturdy, just make sure to do a trans flush with Mercon V and don't do things that are hard on it, like neutral drops, etc. The 4.2 is a bigger 3.8 liter v-6.

I say go for it. People knock the Taurus and Taurus based vehicles, but I've had good experiences with them. My family has had several, the 88 had 200k on it, and I had a 92 that was my dads new, I got 150K before the trans went on it....and it was the second year of the computer controlled AXOD-E....suposedly a bad year for them...as the 91 was the worst being the first year.

If you want a three speed van... you can get one with the 2.4L engine up to 2002 and the 3.0L V6 up to 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    If you want a three speed van... you can get one with the 2.4L engine up to 2002 and the 3.0L V6 up to 2000.
    I didnt think they sold that combo up here, you know in the country and leaves its back door open 6 months a year and freezes you guys in the US if so that would be quite the find! like finding a 5speed JA body! not easy! atleast up here in the land of the white desert!

i looked into the 4F50N. Its supposidly designed for v8 applications and good for 500ft/lbs torque! Guys with sho's are apparantly retrofitting them into their rides.. huh..

bernie

I remember seeing the 3rd gen 3.0 3 speed vans (and 2.4 3 speed vans) when I was there back in 2002.

^

well that sounds promising, ill have a look around then.. thanks for the tip..

any more ford info is still welcome

bernie

Hybrid booster

can't go wrong with a taurus wagon, just same as the van, flush the trans with mercon v. The duratech engine is a nice and powerful motor and is teamed up with the ax4n trans. You should be able to find one of these fairly easily and not too much $. I'd go for the wagon over the van just cause it will be much more fun to drive. Just my 2 cents.

boostaholic

The duratec is a WHORE to work on, though... I'd get the pushrod motor myself.

Hybrid booster

I've had a few tauri...a 92 and 02 with the pushrod 3.0. It is a very durable motor. It has great torque for it's size, But it runs out of breath by 5000 rpm. I also have a 89 and 95 sho, now those engines can pull great all the way to 7500 rpms.